LoneStar Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

Reaction score
Any comments on the LoneStar Special?

... especially interested in the Head version for a low watt power Blues tone.

I played the LSS at NAMM last week set on 5 watts. It is a very sweet sounding amp. It won't do massive distortion but the clean/edge of break up sounded really nice as did the drive channel. They also had a 4x10 combo that sounded better (IMO) than the 1x12 or 2x12.

I've been sold. Plan on getting the short head and a 4x10 cab.

Ned

ned said:
I played the LSS at NAMM last week set on 5 watts. It is a very sweet sounding amp. It won't do massive distortion but the clean/edge of break up sounded really nice as did the drive channel. They also had a 4x10 combo that sounded better (IMO) than the 1x12 or 2x12.

I've been sold. Plan on getting the short head and a 4x10 cab.

Ned

Thanks Ned ... a 4x10" would be a departure for me but worth looking into.

More I think about ot the more it's sounding like very good idea.

Any idea of the USD approx. prices of the Specials?

Pricing for MB is unique as they only have 1 price that is not negotiable or the retailer looses the ability to sell MB.

Pricing for the Special is:

Head: $1499
1x12: $1599
2x12: $1699

The 4x10 was new at NAMM and they don't have pricing yet. Also I have not seen pricing on the Classic Cabs which match the Lone Star amps. The local GC is checking to see how long orders will take.

If you like the sound of a Super Reverb over a Deluxe Reverb you will like to MB 4x10.

Ned

I just played the 410 combo; we just got one in at our store. I ordered a 212 Lone Star combo a month ago. Now I want the Special 410. If anyone wants to trade their special 410 combo for a 212 classic & a litte cash, let me know.

It sounds killer. Probably right in there with Matchless.

LSS- That may be the only 4x10 combo in existence. They built 1 for the NAMM show. When I called Monday after NAMM to inquire they were a little freaked that I had played one, until I told them where.

You can get the 4x10 cab with the same speaker combination (Jenson on top, Eminence on bottom) without a up-charge.

And yes, it is a wicked combination - got to have one.

Ned

ned said:
LSS- That may be the only 4x10 combo in existence. They built 1 for the NAMM show. When I called Monday after NAMM to inquire they were a little freaked that I had played one, until I told them where.

You can get the 4x10 cab with the same speaker combination (Jenson on top, Eminence on bottom) without a up-charge.

And yes, it is a wicked combination - got to have one.

Ned

Thanks for the update.

Any info on this:

"Incorporates Rectifier Tracking™ (patent pending)"

like on the Stilettos and how it compares to a tube rectifier.

Here is some posts from a thread I did on another board.

I had a day off (thanks to the Blizzard of 05), so I made my way to the local GC to poke around. They had one of the new Boogie Lone Star Special 1X12s in, so I checked it out. I had a Lone Star 1X12 when they first came out, and I was impressed with the tones. I did have a reliability issue, but I've since come to suspect a power spike at the club I was playing. Anyway, I also had a Maverick a few years back, and thought it was also a pretty good amp. I only had about 45 minutes playing time on it, but I found it to be a cross between the Lone Star and a Maverick, plus some improvement. The clean channel is not quite as 3D as a Matchless, but at this price with this flexibility, that's okay. I found the amp to be a lot more airy than both the Lone Star and Maverick. It's definately not boxy like most Mesa's I've played. One interesting note, was that the amp comes stock with a 5Y3 rectifier tube! That just happens to be my favorite rectifier (because of it's increased compression), and one that I sub into all my amps that have a 5AR4 type rectifier tube. I only checked the amp out with both channels in the 30 watt setting, but both channels sounded great. I experimented with the 15 and 5 watt settings last night. As expected, as you go down in watts, you lose a little volume, a little headroon, and a little of the highs. Very useful, and nice to be able to choose independant settings for each channel. So far, I like the 30 watt settings on both channels best.

Originally posted by MikeyG
On the original Lonestar, the channel 2 was muddy unless you turned both the treble and presence VERY HIGH. How about on this model??

I'm curious to hear this amp, because the original was great except for the latter.

I agree, and they did address it. I have the Treble at the same level as the clean channel (about 11:00), and have the prescence just slightly higher on the gain channel (1:00) than the clean (11:00), and they have basically the same openess/tone. The drive control also helps control the muddiness. I have my drive set to about 9:30 and the gain set to 2:30.

I finally got a chance to play her at stage volume. This is one really sweet sounding amp. At stage volume, the class A chime comes out in spades. Channel one, with the gain at 12:00, sounds amazing. Single coils just barely broke up with hard strumming, hums had a nice crunch, but cleaned up with just light picking dynamics. Channel 2 is very full sounding, but not boxy at all. Sounded very close to a Bad Cat Hot Cat. I did get a chance to A/B it against my VHT Pittbull 45 1X12, and they were very close, with the LSS being a little sweeter, and a lot more versatile. The LSS had a sweeter more class A type midrange.

dzeitlin-

Thanks for the mini review. Now I want one even more!!!

When I first heard this amp being played at NAMM (4x10 combo) it was a serious Eric Johnson vibe that drew my attention. Mainly that violin smooth distortion - can you replicate that silky smooth distortion?

Ned

ned said:
dzeitlin-

Thanks for the mini review. Now I want one even more!!!

When I first heard this amp being played at NAMM (4x10 combo) it was a serious Eric Johnson vibe that drew my attention. Mainly that violin smooth distortion - can you replicate that silky smooth distortion?

Ned

Absolutely! But don't overlook the clean channel, it's pure Class A bliss.

I have a 1X12 Lonestar and a 1X12 Lonestar Special.

LOVE em both, but they are a bit different....

Lonestar...Big, smooth sounding, very warm and sweet
8)

Lonestar Special....More saturated, more top end, chimey and very PRESENT! :eek:

I just finished the LoneStar and LS Special database. However, MB does not have the Special manual on their site yet. Can someone with a Special test the database to make sure it works properly with their LS Special settings.

Ned

I just added my settings. A suggestion, if possible, you might want to add N/A for some of the selections like drive, since channel 1 on both amps doesn't use this control.

Latest posts

Back