Recto-Verb 112 Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm seriously considering the Rectoverb 112, and I just have a few questions:

1. Is the FX loop really that bad? I don't mind parallel, but I've heard stuff about a low-frequency oscillation ("motorboating") How many Rectoverb and Solo 50 Owners here have had this problem?

2: Would the seperate head and 112 3/4 back cab make a difference in the tone compared to the 112 combo?

3: Last, but probably most important, any other issues that you've had with the amp?

Thanks in advance,

Hazer

I had a Rectoverb 1x12 for a while at the same time I had a Triple Recto and I liked the Rectoverb better for the portability and I actually liked the tone better too, but not while using it as a combo but rather when I ran it in a 2x12 closed back. What I didn't like about the combo sound is that it just wasn't big sounding and the more bass you added to it the more it started sounding "flabby", but in the 2x12 closed back cab it sounded monsterous and full of bass. I even thought my speaker was blown and changed speakers and it still sounded like that. If you don't need a big low end thump coming from your amp, the Rectoverb combo would be fine.

I think it's just the fact that there is so much sound trying to come out of a 1x12 that it gets lost in the 1x12 set up and really needs a closed back or 2x12 to sound full. But there are several people on this board that use and love the Rectoverb, but it just wasn't for me. I also hear that EL34's will help tighten up the sound a bit, right Raz?

My issue is using a older (80's) chorus with a newer Delay. The Delay can handle pulling back the mix to a little less than half-way but the Chorus wants it just about cranked. It's not the best FX loop but certainly not bad enough to dismiss the amp. My biggest beef is the weight...I'm already sick of lugging the thing around and will either get a smaller amp or an ATA case with casters.

hazer said:
Hi,

I'm seriously considering the Rectoverb 112, and I just have a few questions:

1. Is the FX loop really that bad? I don't mind parallel, but I've heard stuff about a low-frequency oscillation ("motorboating") How many Rectoverb and Solo 50 Owners here have had this problem?

2: Would the seperate head and 112 3/4 back cab make a difference in the tone compared to the 112 combo?

3: Last, but probably most important, any other issues that you've had with the amp?

Thanks in advance,

Hazer

I haven't really played with the fx loop, so that is not really something I can help with.
The problem of Raz, was the foremost problem of mine as well. But I rebuild my combo as a head with a seperate 1x12 cab and buiild another 2x12 closed back

The tone is different with combo speaker or cab. I like different cab and the 2x12 better. Somehow 1 speaker doesnt seem to do it justice. But overall great amp, great clean channel with reverb. Clean without reverb is really dead and sterile sounding for me. Goes from clean, blues, nasty blues to a bit of stoner rock to rock and all the way to metal =)

I have a Series ii ROV combo, love the tone to bits but hated the FX loop. Got serious motor-boating/ oscillation with any digital effects (delay or reverb). Ive since done the parallel to series mod and the FX loop works great now.

Weight is an issue with this thing, its a chunky beast, considering converting in into a head and getting a closed back 2x12.

There's two series of the Rectoverb. I'd recommend a Series II. 6L6 and EL34 option.

I run Winged C EL34's and it sounds very good. I also run a 5751 in V1 and a Sovtek LPS in the phase inverter. The rest are JJ's.

Reverb is weak in these amps, it's certainly not lush. I run a Tech 21 Boost RVB pedal and MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. No problems. I don't run any other effects so the loop is a non-issue for me, but I may convert it anyway.

I've posted plenty about the Rectoverb, about pre and post EQing and about using OD pedals out front. Just search under my username if you need more info.

Here's a review I did some time ago. Scroll about halfway down under the same username (Blaklynx) http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guitar-amplifiers/Mesa-Single-Rectifier-Rect-O-Verb-Series-2-50W-1x12-combo/reviews/

I have a Series ii ROV combo, love the tone to bits but hated the FX loop. Got serious motor-boating/ oscillation with any digital effects (delay or reverb). Ive since done the parallel to series mod and the FX loop works great now.

Same thing happened to me when using my ROV Series I combo. I was planning on having the FX loop modded to serial but ended up selling it to help fund my MK IV purchase. That being said, I think that ROV's have the best tone out of all the Rectos I've played (SR, DR, TR).

When it comes to the weight, it is quite heavy and a bit oversized for its wattage. I've only played the combo by itself and with a 4X12 traditional Recto cab. However, I think playing it with a 3/4 1X12 cab (with the same C90 speaker) will sound very similar to the sound you'd get out of the combo-being that the combo is not completely open back.

Back