My Rectoverb's effects loop has problems!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
I've got a delay, chorus, and pigtronix phaser for my effects loop and as soon as the chorus or delay go on i start to get a super low rumble that builds really faster...a feedback loop I presume. My last amp had a serial loop so i'm not sure how to resetup my pedals for this? The phaser works just fine but the other too...geez.

Do I have to put my tone sucking pedals infront of the amp or what?

I would need more info to give a reply, too many variables! Whats powering your pedals? What about your pedalboard? What about cables? What order are you running your pedals? How is your loop configured? Have you deleted one pedal at a time from the chain to eliminate the problem? Tried the phaser into the front end where most people like em? Etc, etc.

I thought I gave a lot of variables. These pedals really aren't the issue because I just simply swapped amps from a serial loop on my ashdown to this parallel loop on the rectoverb. So I just need to know what you guys do to make these work. I've got my compressors and dirts on the front (but other then the ts9dx I don'tt think i'l use any with this amp :twisted: ) The effects loop goes pigtronix phaser>ce-20 chorus>boss dd-20 delay> back into the loop.

Can't run the chorus at all. The delay is ok for a minute or two until I really start to get it going with repeats and a longer trail and then the feedback builds in the lows and just gets a low wobbly but building feedback.

As an update I took everything out of the effects loop and plugged in each pedal one at a time. The delay sounds just fine at any setting infront of the amp and the chorus, well it just sounded bland infront of the amp as well.

But in the effects loop I get a self oscillation and almost a digital distortion or slow building low end feedback. What am I doing wrong here and how are you guys running your delays and stuff in the loop?

I would call MESA directly. I called them when I had my ROV, traded it in for a Solo 50 Head and 2X12 cab. When I called they told me I couldn't run my XTL into the loop because I would get the same effect your having.

Give them a buzz on Monday, I promise they will try and get you on the right track.

JA

Wow A pluss for tech support. I called and within 2 rings teh front desk lady picked it up. Sent me to tech support who picked it up within 3 seconds of transfer and the guy was very cool.

Apparently some of my boss pedals are getting overloaded with the line level signal. (might be the same issue with teh g major) so I need to get an ebtech line level shifter ? Anybody know where to find one of those?

I would need one apparently whether or not i go to series or parallel. And if i go to a series loop the pedals that suck tone will still suck tone in a series loop a lot more then a parallel.

Mesas got some good **** with some good guys running the place. **** I'm so glad I got this amp and added to my debt :lol:

Did you put the DD-20 on the +4db mode?

(Hold down the left footswitch while powering up).

Also, try reducing your pedals effect volume and feedback levels. When using it in a parallel loop I had problems with it starting to self oscillate really bad if those were turned up to high. I've since started using it in series and I'm much happier.

I think the CE-20 also has a +4db mode, but I don't own one so I can't say for sure.

thanks for the input there daisy but I just tried putting the dd-20 in +4 mode and that didn't change anything at all. The chorus has apparently always been in +4 mode, odd that it didn't change anything too much in my last amp.

I already put in an order for the ebtech so hopefully i'l have that before this weekend. Now I need to order some more george l connectors and some cable :roll:

The mesa tech said with these kinds of pedals I would need it even if I did the serial mod because the pedals would still be getting overloaded.

StrykeBack said:
The mesa tech said with these kinds of pedals I would need it even if I did the serial mod because the pedals would still be getting overloaded.

That's odd. I've been using my DD-20 for months now in the loop without any trouble....

it would seem as if you can set the boss pedals output for the +4 or -10 level but I believe its the mesas preamp output that is distorting and overloading the boss inputs. Since changing the modes did nothing for the bosses.

StrykeBack said:
it would seem as if you can set the boss pedals output for the +4 or -10 level but I believe its the mesas preamp output that is distorting and overloading the boss inputs. Since changing the modes did nothing for the bosses.

So turn the preamp output down......

I just want to side with screaming daisy here, I've got a mes dual rectifier (3 channel) and my DD-20, DL-4 and about 4 other effects work perfectly fine in the effects loop. My loop is modded series, but that doesn't change the impedance; I run my DD-20 in +4db mode, and it doesn't distort at all.

Nothing is cranked up though. I'm saying whatever teh effects loop signal is outputing into the boss pedals it is overdriving there possibly. I've changed the effects loop from full 90 percent to the minimal 10 percent and its still the same affect. Also i'm running the amp in my bedroom so no levels are set above 9 oclcok.

Back