Slave

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTSTWO

Reaction score
Last weekend I hooked up from the Slave on my Stiletto back panel output to an amp that has a "power amp in" jack. The Slave level controlled the volume of the Slaved amp. All I needed to do to the Slaved amp was to power it on, no control over any of it's on-board control; volume treb, mid, bass etc. :?: Question is: if I wanted to slave say, a combo or head/cab setup that DO NOT have a "power amp in" jack, do I just simply plug into the input jack of the Slaved amp:?:

Thanks, Tom T.

TTSTWO said:
Last weekend I hooked up from the Slave on my Stiletto back panel output to an amp that has a "power amp in" jack. The Slave level controlled the volume of the Slaved amp. All I needed to do to the Slaved amp was to power it on, no control over any of it's on-board control; volume treb, mid, bass etc. :?: Question is: if I wanted to slave say, a combo or head/cab setup that DO NOT have a "power amp in" jack, do I just simply plug into the input jack of the Slaved amp:?:

Thanks, Tom T.

You can, but you need to keep the slave out volume extremely low as you're running through the slave amp's preamp and it'll get overdriven hard if you send anything higher (it'll be similar to overdriving your amp with an OD pedal, except your doing it with another amp's preamp).

You can also plug into any FX loop return... though I suspect you may already know that.

If you go into the preamp section of your second amp, set it up for a clean tone and it will work otherwise you have one preamp feeding another. I prefer to run into the effects return on the second amp when I do this. If the second amp has an effects return. This will ussually disable the preamp of the slaved amp and your master volume will be the only control you have.

screamingdaisey, JW123,

Thanks for your help. Will carefully try each scenario.

TomT.

Effects loop return is just another term for power amp in, so it's technically the same thing.

You shoud avoid running a line level signal out of the slave into another amps input. The slave knob adjusts the strength of the signal. So it's essentially there to match that output with another input, so level-wise, when keeping it really low, you should be able to match it with another amps guitar input (which is designed to suit a guitar signal, which is much weaker than a line level signal). If you have the slave out control too high in this scenario, you'll experience clipping (like with a boost pedal, which essentially does the same thing).

I'd try and use the seconds amp master volume to control the overall volume, and use the slave out control to simply match the levels. And if possible, try to use the power amp in/effects loop return, as the signal will be least colored this way. Any additional preamp tube ciruit will color the tone, set clean or not. And most tube preamps have four or five, so go figure.

The slave is designed to work with line level inputs as well, so a power amp in/effects loop return is the way to go. :wink:

What I am wanting to try is using my slave out into effects like delay/vibe/chorus into slave amp. Will it work like I think?

Latest posts

Back