MK IV/IIc+ sound from Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloiaco

Reaction score
Of course, comparing a RK with a Mark is like comparing apples and oranges, so I wouldn't expect to be able to duplicate one amp's sound with the other. However, for all of you RK users, I was wondering if you have been able to get *close* to that Metallica Mark IIc+ / Mark IV focused, creamy, high gain crunch with your RK? I've been trying for a while with only limited success using 2x6L6+2xEL34,Spongy,Ch 4 Modern as a basis.

i have no RK experience, but you might have better luck using the vintage mode on either channel 3 or 4. i hear that voice is supposed to be more mark-like, anyway.

i've had pretty good luck with channel 3 in modern... when i'm awake enough i'll post settings and see if that works for u

mammothcave:
Thanks a lot for your useful suggestion! Changing from modern mode to vintage mode in Ch. 4 made a huge difference. Instead of that "nu metal chainsaw" sound, I get an awesome high gain 80's crunch that's a lot closer to the Mark sound than Modern allows. Still not there, but a lot closer.

tavman:
That would be awesome if you could post your settings. I'm curious to compare. Here's the closest that I've gotten to the Mark sound...it's still pretty far off:

Ch 4
Vintage
2x6L6 & 2xEL34 (Triode)
Silicone Diode Rectification
Spongy
Presence: None - 9:30
Gain: 12:30-1:30
Bass: 11:30-1:00
Mids: None
Treble: 9:15-11:00
Loops: Master Bypass / All Off
Speakers: A+B (I have a Road King 4x12 cabinet)

Notes: As I increase the presence, I decrease the treble, and vice versa. Also, you can get even closer to the Mark sound by setting both the Bass and Treble to 2:30, but if you play with those settings at a high volume, the tone goes straight to hell and that annoying "bandsaw" sound appears.

Ch 3
Modern
4 X 6L6
Silicone Diode Rectification
Bold
Presence: None - 12:00
Gain: 12:30-1:30
Bass: 2:00
Mids: 9:00
Treble: 2:00
Speakers: A (Closed) RoadKing Cab

mloiaco said:
Notes: As I increase the presence, I decrease the treble, and vice versa. Also, you can get even closer to the Mark sound by setting both the Bass and Treble to 2:30, but if you play with those settings at a high volume, the tone goes straight to hell and that annoying "bandsaw" sound appears.

That's because you have your mids at "0". What sounds great at bedroom levels will usually sound horrible at practice/live levels.

FWIW, I keep my mids dimed on ch.3 & 4 with the treble off. I bring them back in via an outboard EQ. Believe me, at low volumes this sounds absolutely terrible. However, when I'm practicing with my band (and with another guitar player) it cuts beautifully and has a very warm, full sound.

Back