parallel->serial loop, how to rewire!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andershoeg

Reaction score
Hello! I would like to know if it possible/advisable to rewire the loop of my single recto!? Easy?
I am asking because i would like to use tremolo and other fx from my g-major in the loop. right now it is only reverb and delay that sounds good running through the parallel loop.
Any help much appreciated!
B.R. andershoeg

I have already been writing to them, and i got an answer back, telling me that they would not answer e-mails about technical stuff. And since i'm living in Denmark, it could get REALLY expensive giving them a call! Therefor i'm asking you wise guys :wink:

I'm not too familiar w/ the Gmajor...Is it possible to configure its signal routing as two seperate mono paths as opposed to stereo? You could run your volume-gain-tone based fx into the amps front end, and time-based fx in the loop.

Does each fx block in the Gmajor have an independent mix level? Maybe if you set the fx mix on the amp's loop wide open, and program the Gmajor to be 100% wet on tremolo and only 20-30% wet on delay/reverb.

i've already tried that, but then it seems that i i loose some of the "dynamics/spongy-ness", and thats not very nice-sounding. Don't know what to do else than getting the loop fixed to a serial one, or start using pedals. That's another thing i've been thinking of; buying a high-end pedaltype delay, and buy the other pedals like a phaser etc. when needed. I was thinking of an MXR phaser, a T-rex Replica, and some kind of goodsounding chorus.........but i'm not really aware of weither THAT will be a better solution..... any ideas!???

Yearh, you're right, noglassnoglass! But i will probably ran in to some of the same kind of probs, i think. The delay should work ok in a loop, but what about i.e. the chorus? I use my amps distortion, with a Boss od3 in the front to give solos that little extra gain. I was thinking of buying that MXR phaser, and put it BEFORE the preamp-stage. (right!?) And then the delay in the loop. Chorus, flanger, etc........where to put these type of fx!? The problem will probably be that i can't let the signal pass 100% through the loop, and adjust the amount of fx this way. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! I'm in "figure-it-out"-hell!
Any help appreciated!
B.R. andershoeg

As a general rule, fx that increase gain, alter tone, or otherwise shape the signal should go into the front end. This is especially true when using a parallel loop. Time-based fx like delay and reverb are best in the loop. Most pedals (the good ones anyway) have some type of adjustment for mix, intensity, blend, etc.

If you decide that a chorus/flange/phase type fx sounds better in the loop, start with the effect you want to be most pronounced in the mix, set its blend at 100% wet, and blend into the dry signal w/ the control on the amp. Any other fx in the loop are then blended with their individual mix controls.

In the end, this is all just my opinion for a good place to start. With pedal-type fx its easy to just switch cords around till you find what works best. For what its worth, heres how I'm doing it...

Gtr > wah pedal > EQ > noise gate > amp > (loop) delay > reverb

Amps loop send set for unity gain, mix level around 30%, mix on delay pedal 100% wet, reverb about 40% wet. Hope this helps.

Allright Noglassnoclass! So IF you were about to get a chorus or a phaser, where would YOU put it!? or for that matter a tremolo!?
Great response you give! great!

Probably in the loop, as I like to use fx more for ambience than radical tone alterations. I would probably start with the chorus intensity or depth at 100% wet, and put it before the delay so you're echoing the chorused tone, not chorusing the echoes. Reverb always last in line. In place of chorus you could use a flanger or phaser. Tremolo I would probably front-end, as the trem effect in amps that have it built in is usually very pronounced.

I had the same issue and questions about my triple recto - I have a PODxt Live and buddy of mine has a Quadraverb and we messed around with what FX sound best in the loop and which ones sound better in front of the amp. I know it's mostly opinion, but as mentioned above the delay and reverb sound best in the loop but you'll never get tht "Dick Dale" over saturated reverb sound (which is fine with me). As far as modulation FX (chorus, flange, tremolo, ect...), they sounded best in front of the amp if you want them to be noticed. I ended up buying an Ibanez chours/flange pedal on ebay for $33 to run in front of the amp and I run the PODxt Live in the fx loop for reverb and delay. I run mine about the same way as the description above ------
Gtr>wah>V-Twin>chorus/flange>tuner ---- (in the loop) PODxt live delay and reverb.

That is my only complaint about the recto is the fx loop, other than that I LOVE it!! Luckily I'm not a big FX person, If I forgot all my fx (except my wah), I really doubt anybody would notice I didn't have any fx going on.

Thats my $.02 worth.

You guys keep saying set the effects loop to 100 percent but you cant'. It only goes to 90. Shoot, my dd-20 delay is in the loop at 50 percent mix, and as soon as i hit the e or A string it starts a quickly building low end feedback that starts to sound like it will rip the amp apart if i don't shut it off in time. Chorus is completely useless because it does the same thing only immediately.

Am I doing soemthing wrong. By the way, I have the rectoverb series 2 head.

Try running the mix on your fx pedals at 100% wet and the fx mix on the amp's loop return around 20%. It's possible there is some phase issue with the amps dry signal and any dry signal returning from the pedals.

Back