My problem with the Mark V design

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavarius

Reaction score
rabies said:
My main issue for now (w/o even playing it) is this:
45 WATTS shuts down the middle pair of output tubes wired in CLASS AB and allows you to operate the output section in just the CLASS A mode for a perfect lower wattage range that clips sweeter and earlier

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark5/mark5.html

so you're *forced* into class A in the 10 watt mode and *forced* into class A in the 45 watt mode and *forced* into simul in the 90 watt mode.

so my tri-class concept (class A mode, class A/B mode, simul mode) was not implemented in actuality.

how did they decide class A for 45 watt mode? why not class A/B for 45 watt?

I wonder if they left some options out for a Mark VI...

what a buzzkill...

I guess you should read again on the features, then:

... 10/45/90 Watt Power Switches: Choose 2 power tubes operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 10 Watts - 2 tubes running in time-honored Class A/B producing 45 Watts or 4 tubes running in Mesa’s legendary, patented Simul-Class Power ...

I will leave the benefit of the doubt to Randall. It is most likely not optimal or would have been very difficult to do.

There are so many options, but like anything there is limitations, dont forget you also have this feature, is this the feature you are referring to.

A PENTODE / TRIODE mini toggle switch (located just under the CH 3 REVERB Control) allows you to choose the wiring configuration of the middle pair of power tubes in Channel 3 only. This is a feature that was popular on the MARK 4 and changes the personality of the attack and liquidity of the sound in the higher gain condition found in Channel 3. PENTODE produces a bolder, tighter voice that has a more pronounced midrange curve and is excellent for adding percussive authority to lower gain single note solo sounds. TRIODE softens the attack and scoops the mids a bit to create a more liquid, legato feel that really shines for high gain styles and faster playing.

Finally a BIAS SELECT switch is included that allows you to run EL34 power tubes in place of the stock compliment of 6L6’s. You can run EL34’s in just the outside pair or all 4 power tube spots.
You can run EL34s in the outside. Or 4xEL34s

I dunno, maybe wait for the manual to go online to see exactly what different configurations are available..

how can you have a problem with something you haven't even played thru yet?

LOL

gonzo said:
how can you have a problem with something you haven't even played thru yet?

LOL

It's Rabies! The BoogieBoard wouldn't be the same without him if he didn't have a complaint about a Boogie.
All in good fun Rabies :D ! Hopefully for your sake the MKV has an HT fuse.

rabies said:
there need to be some pluses (things I couldn't do before with the previous Marks) to justify purchasing this amp... it seems there are at least a few that I can think of so far...

Only "at least a few?" Are we looking at the same amp?

the boogie board's darkest secret:

rabies is actually randall's forgotten love child and he will return someday to claim what is his... oh yes, he will... :wink:

You can't just get any output wattage with any output tube and class. El34's in Class A/B, for instance, run at 25 watts RMS per tube. Having Class A at a specific power isn't a design option, it's how that configuration works.

The problem I have is the damned parallel loop...that's one step backwards; why does Mesa insist on parallel effects loops? No one likes them :roll:

MrMason said:
The problem I have is the damned parallel loop...that's one step backwards; why does Mesa insist on parallel effects loops? No one likes them :roll:

It's a serial loop! The level is only a send level control, not a mix pot. It only adjusts the strength of the loop send signal so you can match it to the input of whatever you were to put in there (e.g. a pro level effects processor, or analog stompbox). :D

I am pretty sure it is a series, on all there latest amps besides the original recto's they have been dong series, the roadster, the roadking, the stiletto etc.. I am pretty sure this is series too since there is only a send level and not a return.

MrMason said:

siggy14 said:
I am pretty sure it is a series, on all there latest amps besides the original recto's they have been dong series, the roadster, the roadking, the stiletto etc.. I am pretty sure this is series too since there is only a send level and not a return.

MrMason said:
I always thought having any "level" control makes it parallel; series means the effects are completely on, parallel means the effects can be blended with the original tone. There would be no way to control the level on a series loop aside from on the effects themselves.

Octavarius said:
MrMason said:

It's a serial loop! The level is only a send level control, not a mix pot. It only adjusts the strength of the loop send signal so you can match it to the input of whatever you were to put in there (e.g. a pro level effects processor, or analog stompbox). :D
So it's more of a gain control then?

MrMason said:

yeah. On the Lonestar you can actually crank the send control enough to overdrive the tube fx buffer and get more overdrive.

sbalderrama said:
MrMason said:

yeah. On the Lonestar you can actually crank the send control enough to overdrive the tube fx buffer and get more overdrive.
I take it back then, the Mark V looks awesome :lol: :mrgreen:

MrMason said:
I always thought having any "level" control makes it parallel; series means the effects are completely on, parallel means the effects can be blended with the original tone. There would be no way to control the level on a series loop aside from on the effects themselves.

Nope. Series means there is no blending of the original signal with the effects return signal. i.e. all the "signal" goes out and what comes back in gets fed to the power amp. The level is just like another volume knob. I believe it's designed to allow an easy way to achieve unity gain between the fx off and fx on and/or to set the right level signal to pedal or rack effects.

The lonestar and LSS are examples of series loops that operate this way.

Back