My problem with the Mark V design

Dual/Triple Rectos, Maverick, Blue Angel, Nomad, Road King, F-Series, Lone Star & Stiletto

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

MrMason
Mark III

Re: My problem with the Mark V design

Post by MrMason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm

siggy14 wrote:I am pretty sure it is a series, on all there latest amps besides the original recto's they have been dong series, the roadster, the roadking, the stiletto etc.. I am pretty sure this is series too since there is only a send level and not a return.
MrMason wrote:The problem I have is the damned parallel loop...that's one step backwards; why does Mesa insist on parallel effects loops? No one likes them :roll:
I always thought having any "level" control makes it parallel; series means the effects are completely on, parallel means the effects can be blended with the original tone. There would be no way to control the level on a series loop aside from on the effects themselves.

MrMason
Mark III

Post by MrMason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Octavarius wrote:
MrMason wrote:The problem I have is the damned parallel loop...that's one step backwards; why does Mesa insist on parallel effects loops? No one likes them :roll:
It's a serial loop! The level is only a send level control, not a mix pot. It only adjusts the strength of the loop send signal so you can match it to the input of whatever you were to put in there (e.g. a pro level effects processor, or analog stompbox). :D
So it's more of a gain control then?

sbalderrama
Mark III

Post by sbalderrama » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 pm

MrMason wrote: So it's more of a gain control then?
yeah. On the Lonestar you can actually crank the send control enough to overdrive the tube fx buffer and get more overdrive.

MrMason
Mark III

Post by MrMason » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:16 pm

sbalderrama wrote:
MrMason wrote: So it's more of a gain control then?
yeah. On the Lonestar you can actually crank the send control enough to overdrive the tube fx buffer and get more overdrive.
I take it back then, the Mark V looks awesome :lol: :mrgreen:

simonich
Mark III

Post by simonich » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 pm

MrMason wrote:I always thought having any "level" control makes it parallel; series means the effects are completely on, parallel means the effects can be blended with the original tone. There would be no way to control the level on a series loop aside from on the effects themselves.
Nope. Series means there is no blending of the original signal with the effects return signal. i.e. all the "signal" goes out and what comes back in gets fed to the power amp. The level is just like another volume knob. I believe it's designed to allow an easy way to achieve unity gain between the fx off and fx on and/or to set the right level signal to pedal or rack effects.

The lonestar and LSS are examples of series loops that operate this way.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
PRS SE Soapbar II
2006 LSS 2x12

Supreeth
Mark III

Post by Supreeth » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:15 am

I always get this tingling feeling (in a good way) when a new Mesa amp comes out, and I've been waiting for the Mark 5 for a long time just to see how the Mark series amps evolve. While I truly respect all the comments and arguments regarding what features the amp has/does not have, this is a time for celebration. Let's just toast RCS for his 40 years of achievement, try the amp out first hand, and then start criticizing it. We have no basis for arguing either way till we try out the amp otherwise. C'mon guys, a new Mark is out after 20+ years...let's give it the benefit of the doubt, play the heck out of it at the local guitar center when we have a chance, and then form an opinion about it. All these arguments are moot without trying out the amp IMHO.

I'll probably get flamed for posting this, but till I've tried out the Mark 5 and see how it interacts with my dynamics, how the heck can I form an opinion? Keep your minds free my fellow boogie players!!
Amps: Mesa Mark V Combo, Mesa Mini rectifier
Cabs: Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Guitars: 2005 EBMM JP6 Pearl Redburst, Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top, 1975 Ibanez SG,

FX: POD HD500, Wampler tape echo, velvet fuzz

Sebby123
Mark III

Post by Sebby123 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:11 am

I agree i wont comment until i play the damn amp! Plus i want to hear reviews in regards to a comparsion to the iv and see if its worth selling! :)
Mark ivB
Porty city 4x12
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Eventide Time Factor
Keeley Compressor -4 knob
Moog Ring modulator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Full tone OCD
BB preamp
Fulltone Supa-trem
Trex fuel tank
http://www.myspace.com/thehaven

ANIMATED SUSPENSION
Mark III

Post by ANIMATED SUSPENSION » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 am

The MKIV produces 50 watts when just the two outer tubes are selected, supposedly Class A.
Ibanez RG8270VV
Ibanez RG8470FE
Ibanez RG8570TT
Ibanez RG2620CBL
Musicman JP6 Pearl Redburst,inlays,headstock
'91 PRS CE24 Maple Top Grey Black
'93 PRS Cust 24 Whale Blue Quilt,Birds
Mk IV Medium Head
Single Rectifier Head
4x12 Recto Std Cab

Finnster
Donating Member

Post by Finnster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am

Hopefully the reverb will be the quality of the Lonestar's!