Whats the difference in a Dual and a Triple Rectifier-50wts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I have a Triple Rectifier 3ch solo head and was curious in if there is any major difference between it and the Dual Rectifier (besides the extra 50wts)? Does it have more low end since it has more headroom? Does it have any more distortion? Is the clean channel just as clean or does the Dual have more grit if you turn the gain up? I LOVE (LOVE-LOVE-LOVE) this amp, but 150 tube watts is just too much for me and I am tossing the idea around of trading for a Dual Recto, but I'm afraid I will loose the sound I love so much in the Triple if I do swap (I already posted in the classified section). Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having one over the other, other than volume? By advantages I mean, since I only run the volume about 1/4 the way up - would the tubes last longer since they arent being driven as hard? I do realize that you can crank the Dual harder and probably get a bit of power tube distortion as well, but I doubt I would ever even crank a dual over 1/2 way so that isn't really an issue with me. Just curious about this??? Thanks in advance 8)

I don't know what it is, but I've always liked the tone of the Triples. I know thats a lot of un-tapped power, but I've rarely gotten my Dual into power tube saturation levels! I think a Single's powerband would get you there, but possibly at the cost of headroom if you ever needed it. The Triples just sound good! :twisted:

i think the only thing youll get out of this is a little more power amp gain. you wont have AS much head room... but if your complaining about headroom on a dual recto.... well either your deaf or you'll be in a freakin huge *** venue :wink:

The guys above made some good points. There really isn't a difference tonally when you're talking about how both amplifiers will sound. There is a difference in the amount of headroom, which has been covered already. Also, there is a difference in the amount of punch there is between the Dual and Triple Rectifiers. They both pack a mighty punch, but the Triple has more power and is able to drive the speakers that much harder. It's the same as comparing a 50 watt Marshall to a 100 watt Marshall.

Dale

the circuit boards and gain stages in a dual and tripple are identical.
the only difference is those 2 extra power tubes and one more 5u4 rectifier. sonically, it would make sense that the dual would sound alot more saturated at higher volumes because youd drive the tubes harder
for the same volume.

Latest posts

Back