Lonestar Special 1x12, 2x12 or 4x10?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, New to the forum here. I played the special at my local dealer and I must posess it. I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide on the finish options but what I really need help deciding is speaker configuration.

I looked through some posts and they're seems to be a preferance for the 410. Can anybody give me more input on the differences. Why would I choose one over the other.

For background I play a lot of "roots" styles. Blues, Country, Alt Country, Classic Rock etc... I mostly use Tele's but a couple have a humbucker in a middle position.

I'm looking for an amp for small to mid size clubs and would like to know if one config would have the ability to cut through unmiked in a smallish club more than another.

Thanks in advance for the help. Ned thanks for the link from Harmony.

Hi Chester,
The LSS definitely has an addicting tone. When I tried it out I bought it right then and there. I haven't got much sleep, however, because I've been up late playing with it! :shock: You won't be disappointed when you get it. I orginally was leaning towards the 4x10 because of the imput on this forum (which I value) but there were none in my area. Heck, there weren't many 1x12's! When I played the 1x12, I had to have it then. It sounded great to me and it was a manageable size. I like the portability and I can always hook it to a 4x10 later after I hear one. To me, a 4x10 does have a "tighter - chimey..er" sound to it than a 12" setup. It's all personal taste and ears anyway. As far as volume goes, this 1x12 willl hurt you! It will shake everything that will move in my house and it's just singing away. I play the same styles as you. This amp definitely covers it. I love this amp. You couldn't smack the grin off my face when I got this puppy home and played it. I'm grinning now just thinking about it! :D Good fortune to you in your quest!

The LS Special is so new that many stores don't have the amp in stock. To really get what you want you will have to special order.

Ned

The 10's are probably your best bet for the Tele/country thing, and not a bad choice for blues either. For humbucker rock tones the 12's are the only way to go. Maybe the combo as a 4x10, with a 2x12 cab? Or a 1x12 combo with a 4x10 cab (better portability/ less $$)? Admittedly, I am a stuck-in-1983 metalhead who likes huge guitar tones and great walls of speakers, but I occasionally dabble in some blues and jazz tones, and the 12's are great for that IMO.

ned said:
The LS Special is so new that many stores don't have the amp in stock. To really get what you want you will have to special order.

Ned

Store down the block from me has a 212. It sounds great. I'm leaning that way but will probably order one just for a different finish. I like the finnish of the stock model but the wife doesn't. What does she have to do with it you ask? Well she's actually encouraging me to spend close to 2k on an amp and that's special. If she doesn't like it I'm just as happy to explore all they're finish options. When I first brought up the idea she almost immediatley said "you should just get it." Don't want to pass up an opportunity like that.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Understand. I ran the catalog and website pics of the Special by my wife first and got the thumbs up. She likes the standard colors so that what I'm going with.

Ned

Hey, my 1st post on Boogie Board!
I had to chime in here, I own a 100 watt head + 4x10 LSS and it is amazing. Cuts through like a champ, great upper mids and tight low end. I play everything except metal, and I don't have a single complaint. The clean channel is bouncy, almost like 3d to my ears. Plenty of power, I've played a few theaters with it as well as an outdoor festival. It actually sounds better at moderately loud volumes - the amp sings.
Anyone who can stand the wait should try to hold out and at least test drive the 4x10. It's also a very light weight cab, compared to anything else Mesa I've ever owned.
I got very lucky and didn't have to wait. While they were bringing my LSS 2x12 combo out of the stockroom, I noticed the LSS 100watt head +4x10 that had just arrived being set up on the showroom floor, and the rest is history. 8)

Hey Wolf...I have the Lonestar and the Lonestar Special and **** if I can decide which one I dig the most..Both are onetwelve combos.

Tell Hubert hey...no wait, you're dead. Sorry

cdp said:
Hey, my 1st post on Boogie Board!
I had to chime in here, I own a 100 watt head + 4x10 LSS and it is amazing. Cuts through like a champ, great upper mids and tight low end. I play everything except metal, and I don't have a single complaint. The clean channel is bouncy, almost like 3d to my ears. Plenty of power, I've played a few theaters with it as well as an outdoor festival. It actually sounds better at moderately loud volumes - the amp sings.
Anyone who can stand the wait should try to hold out and at least test drive the 4x10. It's also a very light weight cab, compared to anything else Mesa I've ever owned.
I got very lucky and didn't have to wait. While they were bringing my LSS 2x12 combo out of the stockroom, I noticed the LSS 100watt head +4x10 that had just arrived being set up on the showroom floor, and the rest is history. 8)

I'm confused. Do you own the 100w Lonestar with a 410 cab or the 30w Lonestar Special?

Rama said:
Hey Wolf...I have the Lonestar and the Lonestar Special and **** if I can decide which one I dig the most..Both are onetwelve combos.

Tell Hubert hey...no wait, you're dead. Sorry

**** you figured out my true identity! I'll just say the rumors of my death have been pretty accurate.

I'm definatley going with the special. It's down to 212 or 410. Just can't make up my mind. The feedback here is helping and I'm leaning 410 but just want to be sure before I plunk down 2 grand.

I also need to decide on a finish. There's a sweet red wine lizard regular Lonestar in the Mesa design gallery that's caught my eye. My wife likes the Bronco Blue w/ pewter grill. Hmm...

the 4x10 on my blue angel can make someone cream in their pants with being so creamy but then again... ive heard some with 2x12 (still sweet) and it'll kick ya straight in the nuts if you dont watch out :lol:

ChesterBurnett:
My Mistake!!!!I have the 100 watt Lonestar Head and matching 4x10 speaker cab. My fault, I referred to it as an LSS.

ChesterB-

Get a head and cab, that way you can mix and match the cabs as your tastes/needs change.

Ned

dylan7620 said:
the 4x10 on my blue angel can make someone cream in their pants with being so creamy but then again... ive heard some with 2x12 (still sweet) and it'll kick ya straight in the nuts if you dont watch out :lol:

That settles it then. I'd rather cream in my pants than get kicked in the balls.

ned said:
ChesterB-

Get a head and cab, that way you can mix and match the cabs as your tastes/needs change.

Ned
I thought about that but this thing keeps getting more expensive as I look at my options. The 410 combo is 1750. The finish i decided on is going to be a 150 vinyl change and 150 hardwood front panel change.
Doing the seperate cab will bring the grand total to 2350. Basically another $300. It's getting out of hand quickly. :cry:

This is the finish I'm thinking of.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=334

Price increase was a hurdle for me but I needed the weight split into 2, had back surgery in December. I ordered my cab with casters as well.

This is the finish I'm thinking of.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=334

That is my amp and it sure is a beaut. Sounds as good as it looks too!

Latest posts

Back