Anyone try KT77's in a roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadster_08

Reaction score
I'm looking to try something new, im quite fond of the smooth EL34 sound, but also like the gain the 6L6s give me. Ive been thinking about trying KT77s which is a combination of the 2 ive been told, im looking to make the lows a little less boomy, but want the best of both worlds between these tube types (currently using a stiletto 412). can anyone recommend some good KT77 tubes and their experience with them, or if im even on the right track at all with this?

Go for it. It has the harmonics of an EL34 and the lows of a 6L6. They were my favorite tube type when I owned a Roadster. JJ's aren't too expensive.

would you say the KT77s have the tightness of the EL34? im looking for something to tighten things up a bit, but don't want to sacrifice the 6L6 tone entirely.

I love KT77s in my roadster. The tone is different from 6l6s. Before trying KT77s, try an overdrive as a clean boost with 6l6s as it will tighten the low end.

Roadster_08 said:
would you say the KT77s have the tightness of the EL34? im looking for something to tighten things up a bit, but don't want to sacrifice the 6L6 tone entirely.

The KT77s definitely have the tightness of the el34s but have more of a bottom end. i found el34s compromised too much of my low end, but the KT77s fit just perfect. best part was the cleans pretty much stayed te same as with the 6l6s. Also i found you could use more of the gain in the roadster without things getting muddy. The only true compromise if ound was a little less headroom.

would you be able to suggest any good KT77's? does mesa make KT77 type tube? the last i checked they didnt but im not sure

Roadster_08 said:
would you be able to suggest any good KT77's? does mesa make KT77 type tube? the last i checked they didnt but im not sure

The only ones I've tried are the JJ KT77s from Eurotubes.com and I think they're awesome. The guy at eurotubes has quads that are selected specifically for certain amps according to the bias of the amp. IMO the JJs at eurotubes are the way to go in terms of KT77s.

awesome, thanks for the help, im a little new when it comes to tubes. All ive used is 6L6s and EL34s so greatly appreaciated. while im on the topic, have you ever tried GZ34s instead of the 5U4 rectifier tubes? i read somewhere in the forum that theyre great for solo tones. i dont think id try em, i couldnt be happier with my roadster, other than just to tighten things up just a bit

Roadster_08 said:
awesome, thanks for the help, im a little new when it comes to tubes. All ive used is 6L6s and EL34s so greatly appreaciated. while im on the topic, have you ever tried GZ34s instead of the 5U4 rectifier tubes? i read somewhere in the forum that theyre great for solo tones. i dont think id try em, i couldnt be happier with my roadster, other than just to tighten things up just a bit

not yet but i'm hoping santa is going to bring me some for xmas :D

do you have to bias the roadster to put kt77's in? Or just set it to the el34 setting?

Latest posts

Back