Groove Tube Rating System Can Produce Power Tube Saturation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregrjones

Reaction score
I noticed that Groove Tubes have a rating system where the lower the number, the sooner the power tube distorts.

So, if the power tube is rated 1-3, it distorts very early.

Does this mean that I could get the coveted power tube saturation at low volumes without having to crank the amp or get an attenuator or THD Yellowjackets?

With my Lone Star classic, I'm wondering:
1. How high would I have to set the volume to start getting power tube saturation?
2. Would this hurt my clean tones at reasonable volumes?

You'll get saturation at lower volumes.

But not low volumes at all. The difference is small. Don't expect to be able to crank up your amp in your apartment. Maybe you'll be able to get another half notch on your volume knob if you go from 10 rates tubes to 2 rated tubes, but it won't be anything substantial.

sixtonoize said:
You'll get saturation at lower volumes.

But not low volumes at all. The difference is small. Don't expect to be able to crank up your amp in your apartment. Maybe you'll be able to get another half notch on your volume knob if you go from 10 rates tubes to 2 rated tubes, but it won't be anything substantial.
+1 on all that. It's subtle unless you're really cranking it, and then you're still really frickin' loud.

It does make a difference, though... You can hear it even if you aren't going for all out saturation. The response is usually more juicy and just has more forward definition than the cold-biased tubes Mesa stocks their amps with (and sells with their label).

Depending on your source for tubes, there are different rating systems. But they basically all boil down to bias ratings. I was given a tip to see if I can get tubes that bias in the 33-40 mA range for my LSC, which is a bit hotter than Mesa recommends, but not outrageously so. I got some #22 rated Tungsol 6L6GCs (which I think are around 37mA) from thetubestore.com and they sounded a lot juicier than the stock tubes. So it's worth doing. Talk to whoever you buy tubes from, and ask for tubes that are biased hotter than the Mesa tubes, and tell them about your LSC.

How about using the 2nd ch for some OD. On 50watts I can play below a drummer. Your vids reveal enough live vol. If not, gotta go the YJ route. I've heard mixed reviews on attenuators around here, and you were one of them.

Back