Worth switching my Marshall 4x12 cab for a Mesa 4x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titan7

Reaction score
Running my Dual Rec through a 1960BV straight cab with V30s. Wondering if switching would be worth the hassle and cost? Anybody else do this drill?? Then the question is oversized cab or traditional?

What do you not like about the Marshall?

The Mesa Rectifier 4x12 will have more bottom end due to its larger size. Traditional will be a little tighter.

I like the Marshall, but wonder if the Mesa would sound better? I guess I should go play some mesa cabs. I figured the tone chasers here would have done some of the work for me :D

I can honestly say that Marshall cabs have made every amp I've played through sound significantly worse. I never owned a Marshall cab...jumped straight to Mesa...but demoing them at stores really makes me hate every amp in the world :?

Only marshall cabs I liked are the older ones with Greenbacks....tasty tone from those :D

The Stiletto cab is very similar sounding to the Marshall you have, it's probably just a bit more articulate. The Recto cab would sound 'bigger' with more bass and high end. The main thing I've noticed though is the build quality, Mesa cabs weigh a ton and are built like a tank, the Marshalls have plastic handles and badge for instance, the Mesa ones are metal ! :D

The better marshall cabs are the old JCM800 cabs and the plexi cabs, anything after that is really made alot cheaper, although some of the JCM900 cabs were built like the 800 cabs, it is really hard to tell the cut off so I tend to stay away from them.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
The Stiletto cab is very similar sounding to the Marshall you have, it's probably just a bit more articulate. The Recto cab would sound 'bigger' with more bass and high end. The main thing I've noticed though is the build quality, Mesa cabs weigh a ton and are built like a tank, the Marshalls have plastic handles and badge for instance, the Mesa ones are metal ! :D

titan7 said:
Running my Dual Rec through a 1960BV straight cab with V30s. Wondering if switching would be worth the hassle and cost? Anybody else do this drill?? Then the question is oversized cab or traditional?

Go with what ever sounds better! You got to A/B them and see which one feels and sounds better!

My Dual sounded pretty sweet through my friend 1960a, and a little darker/thumpier through a Mesa. Are you looking for a particular sound or going for more of a uniform look? You might save some serious cash and experiment with a couple speakers for the top slots.

this past summer i switched my marshall cab to a MESA cab and wished i would have done it sooner!!!

i even bring my cab to every gig, even if they already have house cabs (which 90% of the time are marshalls anyway!).

-PJ

I have to say my favorite cab is the Road King cab. I have two 2x12s and I play my Marshall and RKII through them, even my Stiletto Deuce II. I haven't found a better cab to my ears. I've tried recto and stiletto cabs and an Avatar (I even tried the RK speakers inside the Avatar), but none compare to the tone I get from the RKs. Apparently it's not just the speakers, the cab construction itself seems to set it apart (otherwise, the avatar would sound as good, which it doesn't).

might want to take a look at thhis before making the swap. He makes some pretty good suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze7-zhkx-4

Today I might have an opportunity to compare a Mesa 4x12 against a Marshall 4x12 BV. I'll let you know what I think.

Latest posts

Back