dual rectifier settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesarocker

Reaction score
does anyone have any good modern distortion and clean amp settings for a dual rectifier solo head?

If I were you I´d try JP´s rectifier roadking settings for the modern distortion sound : gain 3-5 o´clock; bass 2 o´clock; mid 11 o´clock; treble 11 o´clock; presence 9-12 o´clock. I have these settings on my small v-twin and it sounds great to my ears!

Looks good, but I think that a little bit more midrange would sound better! Your settings sound like a typical nu-metal-sound to my ears, like korn or something simular. It has a lot of bass but to me the sound isn´t "fat" enough. If I would use these settings in my band, nobody could hear me at all, cause our bass and keyboard player also have a lot of mids in their sounds, so my sound shouldn´t be "thin" like it was with your settings...

Mesa/Toobie said:
Looks good, but I think that a little bit more midrange would sound better! Your settings sound like a typical nu-metal-sound to my ears, like korn or something simular. It has a lot of bass but to me the sound isn´t "fat" enough. If I would use these settings in my band, nobody could hear me at all, cause our bass and keyboard player also have a lot of mids in their sounds, so my sound shouldn´t be "thin" like it was with your settings...

Better is subjective.

I'm using an upper-midrange heavy EMG 81. If I add more mids it gets harsh, and the 81 doesn't have much bass so I can have the knob turned up that high without it getting tubby.

Besides, to get Korn you need to drive up the mids and scoop the treble....despite what most people think, they don't scoop their mids.

The clean channel on the other hand is scooped for a reason. When running the gain that low having the mids up is like sticking an icepick in your ears. As I turn the gain up, the mids go up with it. I think I was playing Metallica's Sanitarium when I snapped that shot, so it'll give you an indication on how clean the amp is running at that point.

Better is subjective.

I'm using an upper-midrange heavy EMG 81.

The emg is a considerable factor for a Serious Modern Tone with a Dual or Triple Recto.

I think if more people checked out the 81, or 85 for that matter, with a recto they would be absolutely stunned at the Tone and attack they would have.

I know my 81 has treated me right !

Also I have never had any Flub problems at all in the 7 years I've used Rectos, I have always suspected it has something to do with my EMG's (I've used 81s and 85s).

Another Essential, sometimes overlooked factor for serious Tight Recto tone is the Cab its matched with. Absolutely essential IMHO. Boggles my mind that some people would play a Recto through a cab that doesnt have the capacity to handle its frequency output.

Another point of note is to run the effects send on the back panel at Maximum.

zerofivefour said:
I think if more people checked out the 81, or 85 for that matter, with a recto they would be absolutely stunned at the Tone and attack they would have.

One of my favorite things about that pickup is it's attack. I like the sound of many different pups, but EMGs have a really percussive sound to them that I just love.

My main axe (Les Paul) is setup with a 60/81 combo, and gives me everything from thrashy metal on modern high gain to classic rock with the volume rolled off through an overdriven clean channel.

My other axe is a Strat loaded with an 85....seriously good rock tone, and good for a more bassy, modern metal sound.

I did the EMGs, but I also like the sound of a good beefy passive pickup as well.

Here's some of my settings on my 2 channel Dual-

Clean: (in o'clock positions)

Master: 11
Prescence: 1:30
Bass: 9
Mids: 9
Treble: 9
Gain: 9

I'm also running thru an Aural Exciter and a Digitech Valve Fx on the orange channel, that's why my settings are so low.

Red Channel:

Prescence: 1
Bass: 2
Mids: 11:30-12
Treble: 12-12:30
Gain: 1-2

Silicon Diodes, Bold power, JJ E34Ls and JJ 12ax7s.

How did putting the JJ12ax7 and el34 change the sound? I think my triple rec is to muddy and doesn't have enough gain so I have been thinking about changing my tubes.

acidsid75 said:
How did putting the JJ12ax7 and el34 change the sound? I think my triple rec is to muddy and doesn't have enough gain so I have been thinking about changing my tubes.

Check out my review of the Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard reissues in the "Rack Pieces" forum. They might be just what you're looking for.

acidsid75 said:

I like the JJs. Some people don't like them because they are too "dark", but I don't hear it. They sound better than any other tube I've had in there so far. The lows are better, and the highs aren't as shrill as the Russian tubes that come stock. I like them better that the Chinese tubes also. Plus they are cheaper priced than most other tubes, and are better than spending 26 bucks on a preamp tube for the Mullard re's.

For my main settings:

Clean Channel
Gain 12 O'clock
Presence 10-11
Bass 12
Mid 9
Treble 1

Red channel

Gain at 2 O'clock
Presence 12
Bass 1
Mid 12
Treble 1

I'm running JJ E34L's and JJ GZ34's for recto tubes.

acidsid75 said:

i´ve changed the tubes to some cheap sovtek EL34WXT and it helped a lot (i´d like to know how it sounds if i put in some better el34)
the sound is a bit more compressed but in a positive way
for me it seems that the amp has a lot more punch even if (or because of) there is less low end
so i think this would be a solution for you

mikey383 said:
I did the EMGs, but I also like the sound of a good beefy passive pickup as well.

Here's some of my settings on my 2 channel Dual-

Clean: (in o'clock positions)

Prescence: 1:30
Bass: 9
Mids: 9
Treble: 9
Gain: 9

I'm also running thru an Aural Exciter and a Digitech Valve Fx on the orange channel, that's why my settings are so low.

Red Channel:

Prescence: 1
Bass: 2
Mids: 11:30-12
Treble: 12-12:30
Gain: 1-2

Silicon Diodes, Bold power, JJ E34Ls and JJ 12ax7s.

That's cool, your red channel settings are almost exactly identical to mine. I think that setting gives the solo-50 the best dirty tone. Also depends on what guitar you use but I find that most people using the dual rects use settings very similar to this one.

Also, I run everything out through a 2x12 traditional mesa cab and I play in large church venues so I get to crank the master on my recto very high. And it sounds better at higher volume levels.

Rectos Rock!

LOOPJUNKIE said:
hey screamingdaisy I remember you had a good metalica with mids setting could you post that?

This is an old post, but here it is;

Note: I was using a Duncan JB at the time, so you'll need to tweek these to work for you. Now that I'm using an EMG 81, I've found I need to drop the treble, add some bass, and tweek the presence a little.

Putting the gain up over 1 o'clock is fine for lead work, but it's too slurred for rhythm work in my opinion. The only exception is a setting I have that sounds similar to a Big Muff, which slurs the notes, but that's the point.

My new settings;

Channel 1 - Fat
Gain - 11:15
Treb - 12:45
Mids - 10:45
Bass - 09:30
Pres - 09:30
Mast - 11:00

Channel 2 - Modern
Gain - 11:00
Treb - 12:00
Mids - 11:30
Bass - 10:00
Pres - 10:00
Mast - 10:45

Master output on 15:15 in both cases.

------------

My old settings;

Channel 1 Main
Voice Brit

Gain 13:00
Treble 12:00
Midrange 10:30
Bass 13:00
Prescence 12:00
Ch Master 09:00

Output Between 13:00 and 15:00

Notes: Roll down the guitar volume for clean, roll it up for overdrive.

-----------

Channel 2 Main
Voice Vintage

Midrange 11:00 - 12:00 (depending on how much edge I want)
Bass 12:00
Prescence 11:00
Ch Master 13:00

Output Between 13:00 and 15:00

Notes: What Metallica would sound like if they turned their mids up a bit.

-----------

Channel 1 Alternate
Voice Brit

Gain 14:30
Treble 13:00
Midrange 11:00
Bass 10:00
Prescence 13:00
Ch Master 09:00

Output Max

Notes: I like to run the output high on this setting. It gives me alot of power amp and speaker distortion withough alot of preamp dirt. Good for old school crunch.

-----------

Channel 2 Alternate
Voice Modern

Gain 14:00
Treble 13:30
Midrange 10:30
Bass 14:00
Prescence 15:00
Ch Master 09:30

Output Max

Notes: I call this setting "Big Muff on Crack". As you turn the output up, the distortion starts to fold over on itself and give huge harmonics. This setting will give you good mutes, but only if you run the output high enough to crunch the speakers. Generally though, it has absoloutely ZERO touch sensitivity and no dynamics as it's super compressed. I like it for over the top rhythm work, but it would make for a good searing lead as well.

-----------

Channel 1 Fat Clean
Voice Fat

Midrange 08:30
Bass 12:00
Prescence 11:00
Ch Master 11:00

Output Around 13:00 or a tad higher.

Notes: I like this setting with neck pickups (I haven't tried it with a decent neck humbucker yet). Really fat sounding clean single notes with a touch of shimmer. Chords and single notes in the lower registers of the low E and A stings will overdrive the power section. Huge dynamics. Roll the guitar volume off slightly for more headroom, that way you can pick clean on the low E and A, or pick hard and overdrive them for more dynamics.

I've yet to try this setting in a band mix, so I don't know how well it will hold up in the mix. Probably make for a good jazz or blues setting, or maybe for a rock ballad where the rest of the band eases off the volume.

-----------

Channel 2 Fat Clean Plus
Voice Raw

Gain 10:30
Midrange 08:30
Bass 12:30
Prescence 11:00 - 11:30
Ch Master 12:00

Output Around 13:00 or a tad higher

Notes: This basically compements the Fat Clean setting. It's pretty dirty in a bluesy kind of way, and has plenty of dynamics. Play with the guitar volume and tone alot on this setting, you'll be surprised at what you might find.

Settigs on my two ch. Dual Rec w/ various PRS guitars:
SS rectifier, bold variac, loop off, EL34 Mesa tubes.
Green ch. (clean),(modern).
Gain=10:30, Treble=1:30, Mid=9:00, Bass=9:00, Presence=2:00
Red ch. (modern).
Gain=2:00, Treble=1:30, Mid=10:30, Bass=12:00, Presence=11:00.

Use the database that way we can search for different sounds, etc :

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/tone-settings.html

Back