Chinese ax7's for cathode follower ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1028paul

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So what do we all make of the mesa memo (posted elswhere on the board) stating that russian 2's are NOT reliable in cathode follower positions... having read the 'memo' I put a known good mesa chinese 12ax7 in V3 of my lonestar.. It lasted less than half an hour. now back with a stock mesa russian and everything seems fine ? hows that for irony.

I actually spoke to Mesa about this.

Essentially what they said was that the Chineese tubes were less likely to fail in instances when there was a low line voltage coming from the wall. Basically the Russian tubes were more susceptable.

They have now come up with a new preamp tube, P/N 750150F, That takes care of this problem entirely. Atleast relative to the RoadKing. I can't imagine it would be different for the Lonestar

I have a RKII, in which V3 is the cathode follower position. I tried putting a Tung sol in this position, and it was destroyed. I then put a Mesa Russian II in this position, and... It was destroyed.

Because I never learn my lesson, I am currently trying to use a RCA in this position.

Hey...
I blew 4 mesa russian 2 tubes in a month in my mark 4.(Mostly in v2)
I was beginning to think that it was my amp.
Happy to see that i'm not alone.
Now, i will see the famous 6 month warranty on tubes.
If they send me new ones, hope it will be more reliable.

What is the cathode follower spot in a single recto?

I think Im experiencing this problem after putting in new pre amp tubes. My volume will drop down when the line voltage goes down & at random it seems also.

Latest posts

Back