ANDY TIMMONS RIG AND SETTINGS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous2400

Reaction score
I just saw another thread about Andy timmons and figd someone would enjoy this, awhile back i got to hang with Andy and talk gear and well i guess i forgot to post about it :lol: , I post on alot of forums so i guess i forgot about it. anyways heres some stuff you guys might enjoy. 8)

AndyTimmonsNYC031.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC029.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC068.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC069.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC060.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC061.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC062.jpg

AndyTimmonsNYC030.jpg

So I'm guessing this is his actual rig? Is that a store or something? I ask because I see the stacks of tubes in the corner

Hi nitrous2400.

Was this after or before he played ? .. Ive seen another pic elsewhere of this giglet, and his setup, but his lonestar has been tweaked somewhat, the other pics are somewhat different settings, did you see him tweaking......
TimmonsLonestar8-15Settings-1.jpg

Elpelotero said:
So I'm guessing this is his actual rig? Is that a store or something? I ask because I see the stacks of tubes in the corner

Yeah that was his touring rig, it was at rudys music in NYC. It was put on by Mesa as one of their Artist Clinic deals, so he was in the corner of the main room, hense the tubes and other gearz. If you've ever been to rudy's you'd know its not a big place at all, so theres not really much choice in placing 2 half stacks and an audience:lol: especially considering your talking about a store 2 blocks from times square :lol:

1028paul said:
Hi nitrous2400.

Was this after or before he played ? .. Ive seen another pic elsewhere of this giglet, and his setup, but his lonestar has been tweaked somewhat, the other pics are somewhat different settings, did you see him tweaking......
TimmonsLonestar8-15Settings-1.jpg

I took the pics at the end of his performance when he was explaining his pedal board to me and my friend. Im not gonna say that their exact settings to his cd or anything its just live settings :lol: . Besides theres alot of variables that go into getting a good recorded tone (mic placement, room size, post processing, etc.) so i doubt youll get it exact considering the amount of mojo that goes into his recordings, but the base tone was there and it sounded very close to his cd considering he was playing in a store.

But yeah I just figd I'd snap pics for ppl with lonestars and stilettos and his rig sounded absolutely amazing, so either way you should be more then happy with those settings, even if you cant play like andy :lol: I'll be honest though I didnt see him tweak anything while I was there, because he did a soundcheck when they set up his gear before ppl were allowed in. I'd guess he might have tweaked a smidge hear and there compared to his normal settings, considering he plays around the country and in different size rooms daily :wink: but that would only be a guess, i know my rig sounds totally different in a different room and even more different on recordings so take what you will from it :D

PS: Bear in mind that the lonestar you have pictured is a 2x12 combo, and that he was running the lonestar with a Mesa 4x12 the night I saw him. So I'd guess that had alot to do with the different settings, being that the cab he was using was probably slightly darker than the 2x12 combo due to different speakers (2 c90s vs 4 v30s), or he might have needed to cut more due to acoustics in the room, I'm really not sure I'm not Andy :lol:

CudBucket said:
cradlefish said:
some of the tubes he has in stocked are kinda crappy.

What the hell are you talking about?

Thanks for the entertainment. This made me laugh out loud. Really, for a good minute or two. I still chuckling.

Anyway...Andy's mids and bass are pretty high on the LSC, while his presence is a little low. This may be due to running the other amp in conjunction with the LSC, or the room & or speaker cab as mentioned before. Also, everything is dimed on the BB. Wierd? Mainly the treble. Maybe that offsets the mid & bass settings on the amp.

1028paul said:
but his lonestar has been tweaked somewhat

Nope...untrue...I've spoken with Andy at various clinics, and he has always stated that his Lonestars are bone stock.....no mods or tweaks.

BTW those were the exact same LSC settings I noted at the clinic he held in MA earlier this year.

I'm not sure how he's fully set up as far as running all his amps but there's a video of him demo'ing the two amps and they're both pretty dark. He says he's always rolling off treble and presence and cranking the bass. His tone is super fat and smooth with those settings, to me it sounds phenomenal with his playing style.

I just tired the Lonestar setting with a Bogner 212 (CL80's) and and it sounded great. It even sounded better to me when I went to the tweed setting at 50 watts with the rectifier. I was running a Timefactor through the loop with a RC boost in front.

cb101 said:
I just tired the Lonestar setting with a Bogner 212 (CL80's) and and it sounded great. It even sounded better to me when I went to the tweed setting at 50 watts with the rectifier. I was running a Timefactor through the loop with a RC boost in front.

Awesome, I'm glad someone got sum use outta it :lol:

nitrous2400:

Thanks again for posting those images. For some reason I had not thought about cranking up the mids and pulling both the bass and presence down. The other thing I hadn't tried is to have the drive on with thick and then having the solo pot completely off. In the tweed/50 watt setting with rectifier I didn't have to turn my OCD on at all for a really creamy type overdrive.

cb101 said:
nitrous2400:

Thanks again for posting those images. For some reason I had not thought about cranking up the mids and pulling both the bass and presence down. The other thing I hadn't tried is to have the drive on with thick and then having the solo pot completely off. In the tweed/50 watt setting with rectifier I didn't have to turn my OCD on at all for a really creamy type overdrive.

ha no problem cb, im definitely considering pickin up an ocd its in my top 3 o/ds to pickup, pretty amazing pedal, I'm guessin you dig it to but it just might be a hunch. Might also have to pickup me up a lonestar too... **** gas :lol:

Hi JAZZGEAR,

I meant the settings not the amp itself :) but yeah I'm sure your right nitrous2400, (combo on the other pic.)

Thanks for sharing. Paul.

I presume Andy uses the effects loop, but wonder if you happen to see how he has it set. I like the tone Andy gets, but I've only heard his recordings.

thanks for sharing the pics,
Dave

You talk about a genuine uy. I've talked to Andy a couple of times after gigs or when he would show up to support any number of friends of his that was playing local.

Top Notch!!!

HMMM I wonder how hist LS setting would sound on my Express. GOT TO GO :twisted:

ha andys a step higher than top notch such a nice guy and so down to earth, def one of the nicest, most helpful musicians ive ever met.

I actually have a few vids that i took from the clinic but i cant seem to get them to work on any video uploading sites to share on here, any one have any ideas? i havent had any luck wiht youtube for any other vids ive taken in the past :( maybe someone has an idea :lol:

Did you notice if he was running the amps "Semi-Dirty" and using the Tube Driver and BB/Screamer/Face for gain? Looks somewhat Eric Johnson in the pedal department.

Back