Lonestar Reverb.. so subtle its barely there.. Any ideas ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1028paul

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Ive been suprised at the lack of reverb on either channel on my LSC 10/50/100 V.2. any one else find this. Ive replaced the corresponding pre amp valve, and checked the tank out, everything seems fine, but the reverb is so subtle its hardly there. As for the difference between bright and Warm switch settings its hard to tell if there is any because the verb is so quiet. has anyone else found the same ? I'd be pleased to hear any comments or have any help. Thanks, Paul.

Hi Thirstypirate, yes, both rear verb pots maxed out, its bugged me from day one. Its definately working, but on tweed settings its hard to tell (without stopping everything mid session lol) it seams slightly more there on full power, but compared to other amps I use (lesser amps) its definately way low.. for comparison: Hot rod deluxe/line 6 flextone etc the reverb is way way more noticable,

maybe the reverb cable connections are reversed?

good luck.

1028paul said:
Hi Guys, Ive been suprised at the lack of reverb on either channel on my LSC 10/50/100 V.2. any one else find this. Ive replaced the corresponding pre amp valve, and checked the tank out, everything seems fine, but the reverb is so subtle its hardly there. As for the difference between bright and Warm switch settings its hard to tell if there is any because the verb is so quiet. has anyone else found the same ? I'd be pleased to hear any comments or have any help. Thanks, Paul.

Hi Boogiemon,... good point. .. didnt even think of that, to be sure of which is the correct way round I would need to check another couple of amps, or get hold of a schematic. Do you meen where they connect to the reverb tank ? either way that would be the easiest way to reverse them wouldnt it ?. wish I could compare with another amp the same but cant find one at any local dealers. but your suggestion is welcome, as it could be something like that. if anyone else has anything to add please do.

At the chassis, the fatter of the two reverb cables goes into plug closest to the front/face of the amp as i recall. i suppose it's possible that the factory reversed the connections at the other end though.

1028paul said:
Hi Boogiemon,... good point. .. didnt even think of that, to be sure of which is the correct way round I would need to check another couple of amps, or get hold of a schematic. Do you meen where they connect to the reverb tank ? either way that would be the easiest way to reverse them wouldnt it ?. wish I could compare with another amp the same but cant find one at any local dealers. but your suggestion is welcome, as it could be something like that. if anyone else has anything to add please do.

Hey:
As boogiemon suggests; try the cables at the chassis first. On BOTH of my Lonestars (head and combo) one of the two wires going into the chassis is WHITE and the other one is is BLACK.

Looking at the wires from the rear of the chassis...they are plugged in one behind another. The WHITE one should be nearest you...the Black one further from you (behind the white one).

If these are in the correct spots...then...try reversing them at the 'tank'.

One other thing which could cause an apparent lack of reverb...(IF) you are NEW to the LONESTAR...and unaware of the following:
The Effects-Level control should be set somewhere around 1-O'clock...if the loop is engaged. The amount of gain present in the last stage seems to effect the reverb volume as well as gain...so if you have the Effects-Level set too far below this it will effect your reverb-level too.

Good Luck! Charles

Cheers guys.. thankd for your help. Ive read loads of your informative posts here. I'm off to check this out.. ( this is bound to wake the kids lol 10.30pm here )

I'll follow up on Charles' suggestion by adding that, related to the FX level, the other side of that equation is the channel Master levels seem to have an effect on the reverb mix too. I've noticed that as I turn the Masters up (as opposed to the Output control), the overall ratio of reverb-to-signal seems to increase.

The only way I could see that really being a factor is if you have the Masters WAAAY down (like, 7:30), and are using the Output control exclusively for volume.

OK.. Charles, they are as you said they should be at chassis ( black furthest from rear of amp ) going to swap them at tank.. I always have loop engaged and pot set at between 1 and 2 oclock.

thanks DJW, I know where your coming from, noticed that too, but even with masters high and output low Ive always felt theres something not quite right... this is great you guys are amazing... its like having a 24/7 think tank of experienced messa boffins on hand.. just going to swap the leads at the tank end ( if possible ) I'll keep you posted..

OK..reverb tank was plugged in BLACK wire to output socket.. WHITE wire to input, the wires differ in length to make it obvious which should go to each end ( provided the tank is fitted with the inputs facing to the front !!! ) if the tank on your amps is fitted with the tank inputs facing the back of the amp and the cables are routed along the rear of the jacket then mine could have been wired wrongly.. ie) my tank was the wrong way round.. so before I swap them over which is the output cable coming from the chassis ? ... bet your all baffled now .. haha ..

Ok guys, before I power up having swapped the plugs on the tank over.. tell me it cant damage anything.. lol.. I now have the Black (thicker ) cable hooked up to the input and the white to the output on the tank.

'1028paul'

OK...both of my tanks (head and combo) have the inputs facing the front of the amp. I didn't want to take the tanks out to read which input is which...but I CAN tell you that the WHITE wire should be connected to the jack on the LEFT when facing the amp from the rear...and the BLACK wire should be plugged into the jack on the RIGHT.

If yours are not like this...then it's possible they picked up the wrong cables and connected everything the only way the lengths would reach.

BUT...more likely...your wires are connected correctly. If so, you have another problem...as the LONESTAR reverb is LUSH!

It is entirely possible that you simply have a 'BAD SET' of Reverb Wires. If you have another amp with reverb wires you could test for that possibility. OR? Try using some Stereo/DVD cables.

Perhaps corrosion in the contacts? Try spraying some contact cleaner into the jacks...and work the reverb plugs in and out. ALSO...check the Reverb-Foot-Switch-Jack (yes there IS ONE!) It is located on the 'underside' of the chassis near the 'slave' output jack. (page 15 of manual). Spray a 1/4-inch jack with contact cleaner and work it in and out of it.

Perhaps a bad reverb tank? Or perhaps a loose connection inside the tank (a spring worked loose possibly?) Take a peek.

You said that you've already swapped a known good tubes into the reverb socket. Just to 'double-check'...when facing the rear of the amp...the reverb-pre-amp-tube (V4) is the one at the FAR-Right...in the row of pre-amp tubes NEAREST to you...(behind the output tubes of course!)

If NONE of this helps...I think it's time for a tech...unless someone else has an idea!

Charles

Thanks Charles, Well it seams that It was wired correctly after all.. so I will try all above, I use a switch into the 'hidden' reverb jack to my p/board anyway but all good points..I was waiting for a response as it dawned on me to power up having swapped the wires at the tank needed a little more consideration, ie) maybe it could make a problem into a expensive problem,haha ( ok I'm a scaredy cat ). I will check all other suggestions, and as soon as my warranty expires I am looking forward to trying your famous mods. Thanks again, Paul.

So, you ARE using a switch in the reverb jack? Have you removed it to test the reverb. It COULD be the problem.

Charles

Charles,

Changed the cabling to tank no difference, taken the swich out cleaned the contacts and checked the connections.. replaced cable to switch... so we have eliminated that, wonder why the OEM cables vary in thickness, anyway Ive cleaned all contacts and tried a known good Spax 12ax7 and tungsol gold pin RI in V4..The reverb has been described as 'lush' mine is only just noticable full on ??? as you say.. maybe a tech is needed,, to be honest I think you guys would know as much as the dealer I bought from in UK.

Midnight here now,

I just want to thank you for offering such valuable advice Charles, I only began using a switch after I realised the reverb was lacking somewhat. the amp has been back to my 'dealer' once and he said his ''tech'' had checked it out and although they agreed the reverb was very ''subtle'' and the bright warm switch made very little noticable difference, it was all 'working'.... to be honest I still have a feeling because its working but shall we say SHY ?? lol.. it probably is something silly.. ie) springs not opperating as they should,, orsome other difficult to pin down but easy to fix problem.

The reverb should be lush, full, VERY noticable. It's smooth, but not exactly subtle. The difference between the two modes is a little subtle, but you should be hearing it loud and clear.

Sorry we didn't 'pinpoint' the problem for you. I begin to suspect that it Probably Is the tank...but who knows?

When you finally get it 'righted' post the cause. We could all learn something from the experience!

regards: Charles

Back