Is this common knowledge

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixxer6671

Reaction score
I bought a new set of tubes for my roadking, and had to buy a quad. I was told from the rep that the color tube placement was important, that is the green and blue color indicators, represented where the tubes were placed in the line.

Has anyone else heard this? He also told me if you placed them out of sequence you would burn out your tubes.

Is this common knowledge amongst Mesa owners?

He doesn't know what he's talking about, at least not completely.

In an amp like the Rectifier, all the sockets are the same. In an amp like a Simul-Class Mark 2,3,4 the outer sockets are much hotter because they're made for el34's.

If you buy all the same color, you can place wherever you like in your RK. If you bought a pair of green, and a pair of blue, you need to pair the colors together.

An example would be like this:

Blue-Green-Green-Blue or

Green-Blue-Blue-Green

This is because in rectifiers the outer sockets go together and the inner sockets go together.

Elpelotero said:

In an amp like the Rectifier, all the sockets are the same. In an amp like a Simul-Class Mark 2,3,4 the outer sockets are much hotter because they're made for el34's.

If you buy all the same color, you can place wherever you like in your RK. If you bought a pair of green, and a pair of blue, you need to pair the colors together.

Blue-Green-Green-Blue or

Green-Blue-Blue-Green

This is because in rectifiers the outer sockets go together and the inner sockets go together.

The same thing applies for most amps including the MKIV, the tubes must be fitted as pairs as you said above : XYYX or YXXY etc. The outer sockets of the MKIV aren't made for EL34's it just so happens that being a Simul Class amp you can fit them there if you want to. :D

Elpelotero said:

Blue-Green-Green-Blue or

Green-Blue-Blue-Green

Unfortunately you're wrong. In a Road King, the 6L6 sockets are paired next to each other - that is you would install the tubes RED RED BLUE BLUE.

In a Dual or a Triple recto RED BLUE BLUE RED would be correct.

domct203 said:
Sadhaka said:
Wouldn't a Roadster and a Road King have the same config?

For the preamp yes, but the Roadster does not have the power amp section that the Roadking has (ie. progressive linkage), it's the standard 100W Rectifier Output section.

Dom

Ah yes, I forgot the linkage...

Cheers.

Sorry for bringing up this old post, but it is a point I thought should be revisited.

When I first got the road king, the guitar center people told me to set the 6L6 tubes as GRN-RED-RED-GRN. I did this, and the bass was quite loose, I just attributed it to the new cabinets or just how the road king is...

Until I read the manual, as the posts above say. The roadking is set as the 6L6 being next to each other, ex: GRN-GRN-RED-RED. When I put the tubes like this, the bass is still quite heavy/loud but it is much tighter.

Back