Roadster channel 2 Brit mod explained

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paytojt

Reaction score
I've gotten a request to explain the Roadster channel 2 mod I posted about a couple of days ago, so here it is. I'll try to be thorough and concise. Thanks to Charles Reeder's Lonestar mod, I wondered what would happen if I changed the pots in channel 2 of my Roadster to match the same pots listed for the 2nd channel of the Stiletto. I eneded up getting a sound very similar to the 2nd channel of the stiletto as I remember it, but I have yet to play a Stiletto to compare and I sold my Ace months ago. This mod is not only easy, but completely reversible. All of the necessary pots can be found in the Roadster, but you'll have to order extra from Mesa Boogie to replace them (mine will be in next week!) Ok. Here are the values you need to make each control on channel 2. The values are labeled on the back of the pots. Just unsolder and resolder as necessary. Note: I was using JJ KT77 tubes with EL 34 bias selected when I played.

Treble- 590738
Mid- 590737
Bass- 590739
Presence- 590740
Master- 590792
Gain- 590792

A little more about the sound. This will add much, much more useable gain, but still retain the British flavor. I was worried it would sound like a Recto, which is a good thing, but I didn't need another Recto channel. I don't think it sounds like a Recto. There is also more bass available. I was able to dial in a very good metal sound, like White Zombie or some classic 80's goodness like Ozzy or Judas Priest with no trouble and no pedals. The lead tone is exceptional, creamy and fluid with tube rectification (again, no pedals, except delay). Not thin and fizzy like the Recto can be. (Recto=best for rhythm, IMO) I also got a good punk Green Day type tone. AND it will still get great classic rock sounds, just turn the gain down to about 9 o'clock (not a typo, there really is that much gain). I hope this explains it and gets Roadster owners pumped up like I was when I started playing it modified. It felt like Christmas! However, this will completely alter the character of the Clean and Fat modes for channel 2. I haven't experimented much with them, but at first listen, it sounds like what channel one would sound like with the gain maxed, except with too much bass. When I turned the bass down, Clean and Fat became very useable for overdrive type sounds or a different type of distortion.

Remember to exercise caution when doing this. Drain capacitors or be really careful not to touch them.

That's simple enough. I am actually about to buy a Roadster and am very curious about this mod you did. You just switched two pots, that's all? It seems so simple. How did you get into the amp to work there? I'll be buying a combo.

steeldragonjovi said:
That's simple enough. I am actually about to buy a Roadster and am very curious about this mod you did. You just switched two pots, that's all? It seems so simple. How did you get into the amp to work there? I'll be buying a combo.

You actually have to switch out 4 pots, but all the necessary pots can be found in the Roadster. It is simple! You just have to unscrew the amp from the wood, disconnect the two reverb tank cables, take out your power and rectifier tubes, and carefully pull it out. Be sure your combo is face first on the ground so your amp doesn't fall after taking the screws out. Reconnecting the reverb cables was the hardest part for me, but I have big hands that got in the way.

Well, it does indeed sound like the Stiletto. I played an Ace today, and was able to copy the sounds I was getting with the modded Roadster. Cool stuff!

Do you mean you are just putting 4 of the existing pots in different positions? Sorry, I thought you said you were waiting on some pots.

This is THE reliable way of draining the caps.
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps_p.html

Simply turning on the amp while unplugging it WILL NOT discharge the caps fully. If you're not confident, better take it to a tech.

Machine Gun said:
Do you mean you are just putting 4 of the existing pots in different positions? Sorry, I thought you said you were waiting on some pots.

Yes existing pots. I ordered some to replace the ones I "borrowed".

trem said:
This is THE reliable way of draining the caps.
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps_p.html

Simply turning on the amp while unplugging it WILL NOT discharge the caps fully. If you're not confident, better take it to a tech.

Thanks!

has anyone else tried this mod?

Possible clips/video? Does it have any potential to damage the amp?

thanks,

cjae said:
has anyone else tried this mod?

Possible clips/video? Does it have any potential to damage the amp?

thanks,

The only way the amp would be damaged is if someone messed something up while installing the pots. I don't see how switching pots could damage an amp, but I don't know everything... When I eventually get another Roadster or Road King, it's one of the first things I'll do.

I predict this will go down in history just as the "Andrew Mod" for the Formula pre did and become a standard for this amp. I am constantly running channel 2 on my Roadster all the way up wishing there was just a little more gain but not "Recto" gain....seeing as how I have 2 other channels for that.

Paytojt, you're a LEGEND!

vitor gracie said:
I predict this will go down in history just as the "Andrew Mod" for the Formula pre did and become a standard for this amp. I am constantly running channel 2 on my Roadster all the way up wishing there was just a little more gain but not "Recto" gain....seeing as how I have 2 other channels for that.

Paytojt, you're a LEGEND!

Thanks, man, but I am far from a legend! A light bulb just went off after comparing manuals and reading about Charles Reeder's experiments. Have you tried it? I understand some people's apprehension, but it works so well!

dmcguitar said:
Is it possible to get some sound clips of this?

Unfortunately, I sold my Roadster for a little extra cash before I could make any recordings. The closest example is a cross between Fluid Drive and Tite Gain from the Stiletto. It is not 100%, but it is close.

paytojt said:
dmcguitar said:

Unfortunately, I sold my Roadster for a little extra cash before I could make any recordings. The closest example is a cross between Fluid Drive and Tite Gain from the Stiletto. It is not 100%, but it is close.

Hmmm.

Okay, on one hand, very interested in this because my bandmate has never really found a use for Channel 2 and I do have the technical skills to do it.

On the other (no offense paytojt, but you can see where I am coming from here) I'm maybe a little leery of trying a mod that the only guy who has ever tried it has no clips of and sold the amp shortly after doing it. :lol:

anyone else likely to give this a go?

CoG said:
paytojt said:
dmcguitar said:

Hmmm.

Okay, on one hand, very interested in this because my bandmate has never really found a use for Channel 2 and I do have the technical skills to do it.

On the other (no offense paytojt, but you can see where I am coming from here) I'm maybe a little leery of trying a mod that the only guy who has ever tried it has no clips of and sold the amp shortly after doing it. :lol:

anyone else likely to give this a go?

I don't see how switching pots can cause damage, but I don't know everything. I'm not cutting wires or adding or subtracting caps or resistors. There was absolutely no damage to my amp, and it was sold a couple of months later to bring in some cash as stated in the old thread in the Boogie Classifieds. I also stated in the mod thread that I didn't have any recording software, so I couldn't produce clips. I do understand some stupid people might post stuff on the internet just to mess people's amps up, but I just wanted to share my discovery. I really am surprised no one else has chimed in, considering how easy it is to do the mod.

It's just that in the absence of clips or pics it's possible that it's a theoretical mod as opposed to a tested one.

Agreed that it's not gonna wreck anything. Didn't mean to give that impression.

I do think I am likely to give it a go anyway if my bandmate's up for it (his amp, after all.) How long did it take Mesa to ship the pots and how much were they?

CoG said:
It's just that in the absence of clips or pics it's possible that it's a theoretical mod as opposed to a tested one.

Agreed that it's not gonna wreck anything. Didn't mean to give that impression.

I do think I am likely to give it a go anyway if my bandmate's up for it (his amp, after all.) How long did it take Mesa to ship the pots and how much were they?

I'm wanting to say they charged $1.25 per pot, then 8 for shipping, but I'm in the US, so dunno for Canada.

Latest posts

Back