Dual amps Stiletto and Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumbymage

Reaction score
I struggled to get good tone from either my Road King or my Stiletto Deuce, which seemed to be bit too high and thin for me. I retubed the Stiletto which helped, but I still not quite what I wanted.

So, I wondered what they'd be like together. So I used my chorus pedal to split the signal and send it to both amps. I decided to use the effects loop of the stiletto, figuring the high notes would be better to have effects like phaser, flanger and such. I used just a touch of echo with an MXR Carbon Copy on the stiletto.

:shock: Holy moly! It sounded plexi-like with a big bottom end (RK channel 3 modern and Stiletto channel 2 fluid drive). I loved this tone! Big, full sound from three cabs. I plugged the Stiletto into a 2x12 Stiletto cab AND a Road King 2x12. The Road King was in another Road King cab. I tried the flanger and it was very strong signal. Might have to dial it down to be more subtle.

Is anyone else running these two heads together? Seems the setup would be difficult to control if you wanted to switch channels in the middle of a song (say go from distorted to clean). BTW, the Stiletto retube was just the standard preamp tube kit from Doug's Tubes. I did notice a bit more distortion, but I like it so far.

I have tried my Ace & Rectoverb together, both amps have the same set up as far as external switching. It is by far the best set-up/tone I have ever put together. However, that amount of gear would be insane for me gig with, so I went no further with that.

gumbymage said:
I struggled to get good tone from either my Road King or my Stiletto Deuce, which seemed to be bit too high and thin for me. I retubed the Stiletto which helped, but I still not quite what I wanted.

Man...I can't believe people think the road king is thin, am I just not setting mine right?

I am using a RKII on a Mesa rectifier 2x12 and it has waaaay too much low end for me, I am always backing off the bass to below 12 o'clock, its usually never above 10 o'clock.

I never said the Road King was thin. I said the Stiletto was thin.

The Road King is fat, but I can't achieve a good plexi-tone from it. The Stilleto is high and plexi-like, but annoyed me with high piercing tone. It needed some low end help, IMO. Running them together, they seemed to cover for each other, high and low, and the sound made me stagger when it hit me.

styphon said:
Man...I can't believe people think the road king is thin, am I just not setting mine right?

I am using a RKII on a Mesa rectifier 2x12 and it has waaaay too much low end for me, I am always backing off the bass to below 12 o'clock, its usually never above 10 o'clock.

I use the MESA STR-450 TUBES.

I no longer worry about thin tone.

sometimes it is too warm.
check out those video's i did on youtube to hear the tone out of those tubes...and the harsh tone out of an ACE with jj-el34's.
the Deuce with the 450's is very nice indeed.

+1 on the STR 450s. I'm using Fat Clean with an Xotic OD pedal as my basic distortion channel, I have treble/presence at 9:00, with an eq bringing up the high a bit, tone cranked high on my guitar, and it's almost still too dark sounding.

Latest posts

Back