lOUD 'POP' IN LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Kids,

I have a Lonestar Classic 1x12, built to the same size specifications as the Lonestar Special. It kicks!

But I have been having a bit of an issue... when I engage the effects loop switch, or when I change the wattage (on both channels) from 10 to 50 watts, I get an extremely loud 'pop'. It's sort of like a static charge kind of sound. It is intermittent. I am concerned.

Should I be? If so, any thoughts or solutions?

Cheers!

:)

Those mode changes engage more tubes to the circuit and like turning an amp on and off you should put it in standby first.

Actually, engaging the effects loop while my LSC is on will sometimes make noise. But switching to/from 50/100 watt settings is pretty quiet.

peace

spirit_light_speed said:
Hi Kids,

I have a Lonestar Classic 1x12, built to the same size specifications as the Lonestar Special. It kicks!

But I have been having a bit of an issue... when I engage the effects loop switch, or when I change the wattage (on both channels) from 10 to 50 watts, I get an extremely loud 'pop'. It's sort of like a static charge kind of sound. It is intermittent. I am concerned.

Should I be? If so, any thoughts or solutions?

Cheers!

:)

I posted about this when I first got my LSC a while ago. Are you hearing the pop when you are playing out, or at home. It sounds loud when I'm playing at home with lower volumes, but is inaudible when playing loud.

It seems to appear mostly at home, at reasonable volumes. I haven't really tested it at a show, as I don't use the effects loop, or go in 10 watt mode.

Yesterday, It occurred once when I first engaged the effects loop "pow"... and then it ceased to do it when I turned the effects loop on and off again...

And it seemed to consistently occur between the 10 and 50 watt change on both channels. Not super loud, but still noticible.
It is whisper quiet when I go from 50 to 100.

My LSS does it when I first bought it. Took it to the Mesa service tech and he consulted w/ Mesa and the verdic is "the pops is within specs". The explanation is 2 tubes are being turn on/off going from 30 to 15 (or 100 to 50) so pop is to be expected. A tube is being shunted going from 15 to 5 (or 50 to 10) so pop is to be expected. I also get pop when swtiching on the drive. I know it's anoying and many other don't experience this.
For some reason, the pops is not that noticeable now, but it's still there.

spirit_light_speed said:
It seems to appear mostly at home, at reasonable volumes. I haven't really tested it at a show, as I don't use the effects loop, or go in 10 watt mode.

Yesterday, It occurred once when I first engaged the effects loop "pow"... and then it ceased to do it when I turned the effects loop on and off again...

And it seemed to consistently occur between the 10 and 50 watt change on both channels. Not super loud, but still noticible.
It is whisper quiet when I go from 50 to 100.

This sounds like normal operation. Mine does the same thing. the first time I switch channels the pop is louder. It's been explained here before as a built up static charge in the tubes. Unfortunately this is just a side effect of being able to switch from 10W Class A SE to 50W or 100W AB PP on these amps. The good news is that if you were playing at normal stage volume the pop doesn't get any louder and no one will notice.

That sounds normal as when I do the same on my express I also get a loud pop.

To avoid it I just put the amp in standby, when changing the power modes.

I called Mesa about the same problem, and the dude said it is a good idea to put the amp on standby when ever I change any power/rectifier setting to avoid circuit loading, making the amp "Pop".

fishyfishfish said:
I called Mesa about the same problem, and the dude said it is a good idea to put the amp on standby when ever I change any power/rectifier setting to avoid circuit loading, making the amp "Pop".
It's not practical during gig to use standby when one ch is at full and the other is at 1/2 power and you need to switch channel on the fly. But the thing is, some do this, some don't and some are louder than other. It's clearly an issue with build quality and all Mesa has to say is it's within specs.

Latest posts

Back