6v6 Tweed power help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieman75

Reaction score
Hey all, I am having problems with the love channel, hi / low settings on my heartbreaker while running in tweed power mode. There is literally no gain and significant power loss. Even switching the lead boost on makes it a bit louder but still no gain.

Now when I switch to the lust channel it sounds fine in both hi / low settings.

I go back to the love channel and engage the tweed power to full it sounds fine and acts like it normally would.

Any thoughts or ideas where the problem is?

Thanks!

That's not normal. Your amp needs to be serviced. Take it to a Boogie service center.

Does it do the same things with 6L6s in full power mode, or just in tweed mode?

Try replacing your preamp tubes.

It did the same thing in tweed mode when I had it loaded with 6l6's. I replaced them with 6v6's and the problem carried over.

I just replaced all the preamp tubes. Any particular preamp tubes to check?

Thanks!

One last thought.Make sure the bias switch is set for 6v6 ,and you have to use the tube rectifier with these tubes.Hope this helps.
Good Luck.....

Tweeked said:
One last thought.Make sure the bias switch is set for 6v6 ,and you have to use the tube rectifier with these tubes.Hope this helps.
Good Luck.....

I am pretty certain I have it set to rectifier but I will check when I get home. Could it be a bad rectifier tube? Seems unlikely because the lust channel operates normally.

Thanks

Tweeked said:
Good Luck.....
I use 6V6's in my Heartbreakers without the tube rectifier. :D

I tried switching to full power, played for a awhile, sounds good then put it on standby, switched it to tweed, plays normal for a few seconds then you can hear it die out...loses power and gain. switch it back to full and it's fine.

I switched the rectifier tube...no difference.
Rectifer on/off...no difference

mrmax said:
Tweeked said:
Good Luck.....
I use 6V6's in my Heartbreakers without the tube rectifier. :D

Cool! another tone to check out.I never tried this due to the warning on the back panel and in the manual.Will check it out next time I put 6v6's back in.

boogieman75 said:
I tried switching to full power, played for a awhile, sounds good then put it on standby, switched it to tweed, plays normal for a few seconds then you can hear it die out...loses power and gain. switch it back to full and it's fine.

I switched the rectifier tube...no difference.
Rectifer on/off...no difference

Call Mesa,talk to Marcus he can help you run more tests to figure out what the problem is or he will tell you where to get it serviced.He was a big help to me w/ my HB.He also mentioned most of the problems are a bad tube somewhere.
Good Luck!

I found the culprit!!! It was bad tube in V1. I called my local mesa repair and the guy said "something about the cathode does not like russian tubes and that it actually prefers the cheaper chinese." Is that statement valid? At first I thought the guy was smoking rocks. But anyways I replaced the Tungsol reissue with a shuang in V1 and voiillaa it worked!!!

If running my 6v6's in rectifer mode, tweed power on love channel with boost is supposed is mark I tone, then I am one happy mesa owner.

Also this heartbreaker with the recent tube changes is the most responsive amp to my strats I have ever played through.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Tried another tung-sol in V1 and it's the same. Is it possible that both tungsols are bad? Or does it hate in that spot?

weird stuff

Back