Regular vs Oversized Cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraGary

Reaction score
I'm a complete rookie with Mesa Boogie product, but a devout fan and recent 1st time owner.

May I get some opinions from you folks on the comparison between Regular vs Oversized cabinets?? I'm assuming a bigger-but-looser bass response on the Oversized, which is a turn-off for me....but I could be way off.

I'm about to buy a 4x12....and I'm wondering how your real-world experiences are on this topic.

PS> I only use straight cabs (not slant)....if that matters at all.

THANX!!

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you but have been also wondering something similar and that is if an over-sized slant sounds similar to a regular straight. I figured that they have the same internal space so would be close. I had posted a question surrounding that before but got few responses.

But on topic, from my perusing this site the common theme seems to be that the over-sized cabs can be a little boomy while the regular sized (Stiletto) are tighter and a bit more mid-rangy.

All of the above assumptions are correct.

Except the Slant Oversize does not automatically equal the Straight Traditional Cabinet. The Oversized still has more bass.

Mark Tremonti says somewhere that he "feels" that the straight cabs are tighter.

But yeah, the Standard Rectifier is uberboomy, way too much for me. Impossible to record without clipping the signal when you palm mute

Unless the Stiletto and Recto cabs are constructed differently I suspect that you might be able to deal with any unwanted low end from an over-sized cab by simply adding 2 and a half inches of material to the bottom inside of the cab. They'd then have near identical internal dimensions and the difference in mass would be negligible, especially when you consider that anything resting on top of the cab would affect the mass aspect of resonance to a much greater degree. Just a thought... but I could be wrong.

newfinator said:
Unless the Stiletto and Recto cabs are constructed differently I suspect that you might be able to deal with any unwanted low end from an over-sized cab by simply adding 2 and a half inches of material to the bottom inside of the cab. They'd then have near identical internal dimensions and the difference in mass would be negligible, especially when you consider that anything resting on top of the cab would affect the mass aspect of resonance to a much greater degree. Just a thought... but I could be wrong.

I know I am bringing this topic back from the dead but I think you are probably right and I am thinking of trying it.

Elpelotero said:
All of the above assumptions are correct.

Except the Slant Oversize does not automatically equal the Straight Traditional Cabinet. The Oversized still has more bass.

Tradtional Straight and Oversized slant or Straight/Slant, I have done the measurments and the internal volume is so close that they are not that different. Not to mention I have owned both and can tell you they both sound **** close and only played side by side can you tell the very very slight difference.

Here are the measurements I used, please note I did not take into consideration wood thickness and I just used the measurements on Mesa's website. The actuall volumes for both cabs are actually lower due to they measure from rubber feet up and the fact that i am measuring outer and not inner, I think the wood is .750 all around. In order to do the slanted baffle measurement I took off 2.875 off the depth as that is what the top of the slant. So here are my figures

Traditional Straight
30.125 Height
29.875 Width
14.250 Depth
This equals 7.453 Cubic Feet

For the OS Slant I broke down into two measurments and then just added the two volumes.
16.4375 Height
32.125 Width
14.250 Depth
This equals 4.083 Cubic Feet

Second Meausurment
16.4375 Height
32.125 Width
11.375 Top Depth ( Slant is 2.875 at top)
14.250 Bottem Depth
This Equals 3.672 Cubic Feet

Total of both 7.755 Cubic Feet

Difference between Traditional straight and OS Slant is .302 Cubic feet.

As you can see there is not much difference.

If you asks me I think at the time of MESA overside 4x12", the market's demand was into retro-style gear like Marshall's TV 4x12" also over-side half stack.

But I agree with siggy14, more comestic than practical. You would have to compare a few of each (get a large sample sets) to make a generalization as we all know broken-in speakers has some tone of its own so two identical cabinet may sound different.

Back