RECTOVERB HEAD question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey everybody from Europe!

I like your forum here, and i've decided not just read but participate if you dont mind. :D
Anyway i am about to reorganizing my bands sound. We lost a guitarist and now it's me (singer) to fill in his shoes. I was looking at a REcto head but want some more info on it. And not from the slaes man who is trying to make a deal with me, but from you more expirience guys.

So all the info you have, expiriences, pro's and con's (you know the drill) on MEsa Boogie's RECTOVERB HEAD.

I've had a fifty/fifty with tones of different pre's and liked it a lot.
Now i am not that multi-rack freak anymore, want a decent amp (head that would power my marshall B 4x12'' cab with V30's in it.
I play through a Epi custom rebuild. All Gibson/schaller hardware an Seyomour Duncan Sh-1n and SH-6b position.
I dont need that solo shredding sound, i am more into a good rhythm that i know mesa can provide. The band uses a lot of samples and synths, a kind of new age rock-synth if you would like to call it something.
Somewhere between Depcehe mOde and placebo kinda thing.

ANyway thanks for the replies in advance!

Bye for now

Great choice IMHO! I would ask why not a Rectifier solo head, but the Rectoverb has great cleans and is very versatile. I'm thinking of downsizing from my Dual Rec 4x12 to a Rectoverb combo!

11miles said:
I dont need that solo shredding sound, i am more into a good rhythm that i know mesa can provide. The band uses a lot of samples and synths, a kind of new age rock-synth if you would like to call it something.
Somewhere between Depcehe mOde and placebo kinda thing.

It sounds like a Boogie would blend in rather well with that type of sound....I've noticed that quite a few bands that use alot of samples and/or wierdness tend to sound best when the guitar amp puts the guitarist in the lower midrange...which leaves the upper mids free for the samples to cut through.

I hope i will find the right lower mid section though :D
No, seriously!

When i owned a fifty, i was very satisfied with the sound. THe pream's got to do a lot of sound making but the definiton was mesa' job.
And i was quite blown away, so were my bandmate's when i first plugged it in.

I sold it after we joked around with an idea of 3 guitars. We played around with different setps but the SS poweramp with Rocktron's VV made the cut!
Now , we lost the guitarist i am back in mesa school!

BUt i am still not sure.

THe recto is just another version of singled rec with reverb? And the single and dual rect differ only in watt's?

How is the combo version different from the head?

11miles said:
THe recto is just another version of singled rec with reverb? And the single and dual rect differ only in watt's?

How is the combo version different from the head?

Yes, the Rectoverb is basically a Single with reverb, but some people say it has a sweeter clean channel...I chalk that up the it's having 'verb.

The Single is 2ch, but the Duals are now three. Also, the Dual has more gain and a more aggressive voicing to it's gain. The Single/Rectoverb are voiced to be a little smoother than their bigger brother.

The combo's have a 3/4-back speaker, so their a little more middy, and a little less bassy.....nothing that can't be changed by plugging into a 4x12 cab...

Hi there! I bought a single rectifier a couple of days ago! The tone of it is SO sweet! I'm in love already! Before I had a Triaxis and a 2:90, sold it because i wanted a more simple setup, but about the same tone. And now i've got even better tone, and a simple setup :D !!! I'm SO happy with my decision! And as far as i know it's about the same amp as the rectoverb. So smooth sounding, 50 watts set at just that spot where the output-tubes really starts cooking, and ........yes i could go on and on. It's one little pearl, and I love it! a lot better than what i had before (which a lot of people would see as the perfect setup!......they are wrong ...... :lol: )
And by the way, i have found out, that it blends alot better with the rest of the band (rock) than the triaxis-setup did! and easy to dial in. So i cannot imagine that the rectoverb would disappoint you!
I couldn't be happier!
B.R. andershoeg

I am glad you like the new setup!
I never did like to look at the Triaxis. The price gave me the creeps. And knowing you need a good power-amp to really crank it up. You are in a serious cash withdrawal :D

So the single recto should be cheaper?

Do any of you run some Fx through it's send and return.
Also some guy claimed he had trouble switching between channels?

I am really starting to like it! :twisted:

Hey 11miles! Yearh, the triaxis is a pretty expensive piece of gear! And a great piece.........but not for what i wanted to do now.
And yes, the single recto is a bit cheaper than the rectoverb. Not much, but if you don't need the spring-reverb, why pay for it!? (.....btw....the single recto looks cooler imo :D ......but that's another story!). So if you do not need that, i can highly recommend the single!
Regarding the fx loop, i'm using it! had some probs in the beginning, sounded weird, cannot explain. But now i have figured it out, and use the loop! However; i'm only using delay, all wet signal from the fx-processor (G-major), and the mix control on the recto set to about 11 o'clock. sounds great, with lots of dynamics preserved. The drawback is, in this way i cannot use e.g. a tremolo, cause of the signal not being send fully through the loop.
No trouble here regarding channelswitching. i have set it up so that the g-major is controlling the channels via the relay-switching from the g-major. works wonderfully!

Hope you can use some of this information! 8)
B.R. andershoeg

Thanks for the tips.

Well the thing is i was very occupied with the footswitching before.
Tons of different channels (rocktron VV) under my foot plus the singing, i just don t need them.
So if there is a way to get a good amp that has a reverb, goodie.
I wanted to know about the FX loop if once i woul want to use it. BUt for know i would like to be satisfied with only those 2 channels.
Plus i dont thing the sounds earlier amde such a big of difference.
I mean we were 3 guitarist and the sound got all mashed up, you did not know who played what...
Aaaaarrrgghhh.

Well that is settled now.

Anyway, i'll get the recto for the weekend or in the beggining of next week.
And will now for sure.

Till then i would love to hear some more expiriences you have/had with the recto/single rec.
And another thing how much did you pay for it, or how much do this thing cost aproxx. Used?

I looked at ebay and there was not many to choose from!

Latest posts

Back