mesa rectoverb - fx loop send only

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
first post...

from past experience, have not been satisfied with results when using a gmajor in my mesa rectoverb fx loop.
although i always like the sound of the amp when no fx are used.

i understand from reading posts that it is quite simple to convert
the fx loop, but wanted to try something else first.

for keyboards...i use a 150 watt keyboard amp with a 15" speaker and horn. it has a built in 4 channel mixer. very nice clean amp.

what if.... i took the fx send from my mesa amp, and send it thru the
g-major, then ran the 2 L-R outs on the g-major into a channel on the keyboard mixer.

adjust the level on the keyboard amp to the mesa volume level.

i have tried a stereo setup with the g-major in past while running
the mesa and a marshall amp and it worked great... versatile with more tonal options.

but was interested in trying something different, and not wanting to
setup 2 guitar amp rigs..
i do use the keyboard amp with keyboards already.

if this works out, the next thing would be how the soundman
will balance the effected guitar sound with the mesa amp,
while the keyboards and guitar fx are coming from the same amp.
possibly making things a little too complicated.

Probably a stupid question, but...

I have a rect-o-verb combo and I want to do this mod, how do I expose the back of the panel to get at the wires?

You have to pull the chassis out of the cabinet. Lay the amp on it's side and remove the four screws on top of the amp that hold the two metal pieces to the top of the amp. The chassis should pull straight out. If not then loosen the screw sticking out in the middle of the underside of the amp to the right of the power tubes (it's a dampening screw and should be sticking out a good inch already) and a few inches back (going from memory).

Be sure to discharge the caps first! To do so, turn the amp completely on (standby off and ready to play through) and then hit the power switch without putting the amp in standby first. This should be adequate for as little as you will be doing around the effects loop circuit.

Shoot me a PM when you get it done and let me know how hard it was and what the difference in tone is please! I've thought about doing it to my combo...

good luck!

Didn't really change the tone, its really easy considering you only use the soldering gun twice. I did it because if I placed my delay in the effects loop, anything over 100ms caused a horrible airplane engine type sound. Well, this mod fixed it, it now acts as a normal delay.

Back