Tibe buzz/rattle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valascia

Reaction score
I was playing my LSS last night and noticed a buzzing coming from the tubes through the back of the amp. It was only apparent when playing certain notes especially around the middle of the neck. I've had a Fender Twin for years and never heard this noise. Is this a warning of coming trouble? Are the wire covers too close to the tubes? Any insight would be great.

my rectoverb does the same. it's within the tube itself. i don't know that it is a bad thing except it's annoying! i can tap on the top of the amp and hear the power tubes rattle... i'm not worried about it really!

It's Tube rattle. My LSC combo did the same thing. I first noticed it whenever I hit an E note, it was that harmonic that set it off. After the amp warms up a bit it stopps. After a bit it stopped all together but then re-appeared later when I play A flat. I called mesa about it because I could not record the amp at low volume with the rattle. They suggested re-seating the tube or buying these little "wings" that will prevent the tubes from rattling. I reseated the tube, but the issue got worse. After about a month the rattle went away all together.

It is annoying, but I found that if I let my amp warm up a bit it the expansion would stop the tube from rattling.

my 2 cents.

Thanks for alleviating my worst fears. My next step was a call to Mesa, but now I won't. I do notice it going away after a while of playing. And I think it's more noticeable at the lower wattage settings.

You're lucky, I had the same problem with my rectoverb (combo problem) and it get worse with the volume. It seems that the rattling get amplified in some way. It was only very apparent in pushed mode though.

I solve my problem by buying Duende Criatura tube rings. Those rings in teflon cover the last portion of the power tube and absorb the excess vibrations that cause the rattling. Go to this page : http://thetubestore.com/tuberings.html for informations or even to buy them.

Every combo should have those rings as it can also help keep them in good shape. They cost about 50$ for 6L6 but it worth every cents of it.

Latest posts

Back