Can any new 'Lonestar classic' owners help me ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1028paul

Reaction score
Hi, Can someone with the same amp check this is normal..? just noticed when inspecting the inards of my '07' lonestar classic.. there is a black screw that hangs down from the underside of the chassis a couple of inches in from the back, directly in-line with the reverb switch.. at first I wondered if someone had forgotten to tighten it when the amp was built. But on closer inspection, it looks like it may be some kind of adjustment screw.. Obviously I dont want to meddle, but I need to know this is normal .. any help from another owner on this would be great.
THANKS... in advance. Paul.

mesa002.jpg

I am no expert, but it looks like there is a washer on the screw- and I have never heard of a washer on an adjustment screw. Looks like it was meant to be tightened and someone missed it....

Thanks for your reply marzzz.. nope there's no washer.. and it goes into a plastic clip,, Ive just seen a photo of a lonestar from above with no top on.. it seems to go into a black tube that isnt connected to the chassis... the plot thickens.. really need another couple of owners to check if this is normal lol.
lonestarguts.jpg

This is normal -well in as far as mine has exactly the same thing!!!! I've had my Lonestar 10/50/100 212 since June last year without a single problem. So if it is an 'issue' its not caused any problems that I can report.

I am waiting until mine is out of warranty before i get inside, but if the tube extends the full height of the chassis, it could just be for support when valves are being pushed in, so that chassis doesn't bend. I.e. the top of the plastic tube meets the cabinet. Just a guess.....

D

Thanks for your reply... I'm thinking along the same lines.. although it is a little odd that its only screwed in a few turns. any more owners care to check this out ? then we will all know its as it should be .. :)
see previous photo &

img007.jpg

I just need to stress.. This internal shot is one I down loaded off google images.. its not my amp which is also very new and gladly still intact and sounding great.

Paul.

Hey FunkyMonkey... what difference can you hear when you flick the reverb switch... lol.. more than me I hope.. I'm sure boogie would say its errr... lets see.. 'wonderfully subtle' and perhaps.. totally unalters your tone.. lol I often wonder if thats why that screw is hanging out ! :D

I just turned my 2005 LSC head over to look and there is a square hole but no screw. At least they put a screw in yours! LOL. Give Mesa a call.

Hi cb101.. sorry to hear about your hole where our screw is hanging out lol... Im sure there is a sensible reason for this.. I dont want to call mesa as Im in the UK. I think eventually someone will give us an answer.. if not .. Its going to be a call.... bank holiday here today.. are mesa at work today ?

This screw is on most Mesa amps and has been for decades. It serves two functions. First, when tightened against the foil lining the top of the compartment, it helps with grounding. Second, when tightened it helps eliminate possible chassis vibration. I try to loosen it then retighten when removing and replacing the chassis.

If the screw is not there but the nut plate is, no big worry. I'd call Mesa and get a replacement.

I called Mesa about the very same thing years ago when I first bought my LSC thinking that something was not right about it. Mesa told me that the screw is a chassis tensioning screw and is completely normal.

Thanks guys.. I'm glad of your knowlage and assistance. It certainly threw me for a while... lol.

OK, I will just wait until I get my LSC before answering any more questions...... :oops:

Hey no worries Marzzz :) , I almost thought the same. I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives. let us know how you get on with it.

Paul.

WHEW! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!! I found the same screw in mine and wondered if someone before me had been in the chassis. This forum rocks.

As mentioned above it's for tensioning the chassis to prevent rattle. I don't think it's for grounding. Think about it..... the chassis itself is touching the cab already. Why would a screw on some foil be a ground? The foil has no wire connecting it to anything else.

I think the foil is there to prevent the screw from digging into the wood too far. I wouldn't tighten too hard either, it's only meant to be enough to prevent rattle. If over-tightened, the screw could burst through the foil and you'd crush the wood. Over time (vibration), the screw would chew the wood and the chassis would rattle. You'll tighten some more and crush some more wood..... vibration>rattle>tighten>crush wood. Do this over and over...... Get the picture? You'd end up with a hole in your cab.

Also, before removing the chassis, loosen the screw otherwise you'd score the foil and wood while pulling the chassis out. You may even rip the foil.

My guess is Mesa use foil with a sticky back (ie. like sticky tape) already supplied to them because it's easier in manufacturing to place on the cab. A metal plate would be more robust but you'd need to apply a sticky backing to it, like double sided tape, which cost more $$. A plate may also be too thick (even 1mm) because sliding the chassis back in may damage the front edge of it.

If you want to get clever, use a router, cut a diameter larger than and to a depth of a large coin and glue a coin in. Instant increase in value. And you don't have to worry about punching a hole through it :lol:

Back