Weird crackling noise when i palm mute. (tremoverb)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethery2319

Reaction score
I thought i knew how to diagnose amp problems, but this one has got me stumped. When i palm mute certain chords on my TREMOVERB and let them hold out, i get this crackling noise being created. It sounds kindof like when you have a bad cable and shake it, that kind of crackle, but i have tried several cables. I tried both channels and all the modes and it does the same for all of them. I tried both rectifier settings. I just replaces my preamp tubes in V1 and V2. any help would be great, or if anyone has experienced the same let me know PLEASE! Thanks!

Does the sound fade and them come back shortly afterwords followed by the crackle?

Is it worse if you palm mute on an open 6th E?

The thing that comes to mind from what you described is a dirty tube socket that is being vibrated when you mute chunky power chords. Does it do this at all volumes?

Platypus said:
Does the sound fade and them come back shortly afterwords followed by the crackle?

Yep, some cause a worse crackle than others. Some chords don't crackle at all, some do.

sethery2319 said:
Platypus said:

Yep, some cause a worse crackle than others. Some chords don't crackle at all, some do.

But the sound definitely fades? (all sound, as if the volume dropped out completely) then comes back?

fishyfishfish said:
The thing that comes to mind from what you described is a dirty tube socket that is being vibrated when you mute chunky power chords. Does it do this at all volumes?

Would you think this would be a dirty preamp tube socket? or power tube?

But the sound definitely fades? (all sound, as if the volume dropped out completely) then comes back?[/quote]

umm, no. I noticed no changed in volume, and no volume swelling. Just the added crackling.

Start with the power tubes first. Turn your amp around so you can see the tubes and play some fat death metal. If you see some shorting inside the tube, it's a goner. If that's O.K., lightly tap the powers and listen for any noises. If thats good, take the covers off all the pre-amp tubes and repeat the process.

I wouldn't rule out the rectifier tubes.. even in diode mode they are still in the circuit. I had a similar issue with my Dual Rectifier.. it happens on the fatter lower chords as they push it harder. My sound would fade in and out eventually but the crackle was the first thing I noticed.

Eventually one shorted and I saw it happen so thats the only way I knew it was a rectifier tube.

welcome to my world Im dealing with the same thing on a rectoverb on the pished channel, I think Im convinced its to front end out put, but not tsure

sethery2319 I wonder how did you solve it? I think i have just the same problem. :?: But my amp is Mini Rectifier and cabinet is mini-recto...

Latest posts

Back