Triple Recto owners tell me .....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silicone diodes or rectifier tubes

• slicone diodes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rectifier tubes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rambes

Reaction score
which do you guys prefer to use Rectifier tubes or the silicone diodes and what kind of music do you play with them?

I vote tube, but I have to admit I use GZ34/5AR4 recto tubes in my Triple. I find the 5U4's great for clean tones and high gain soloing, but they turn to mush for high gain rhythm. I play extremely hard rock/ old-school metal and thrash. Our music is very fast for the most part, and we play LOUD even in rehearsal. The GZ34's have a much faster rise time and higher peak voltage, so my palm mutes stay tight and my solos still have that singing quality that the tube rec gives.

FWIW at master output settings above half way, I do use the diodes. At levels this high, the power tubes are starting to go to work, and the harshness of the SS rec is not noticeable (or maybe my hearing is shot?)

Where do you get your recto tubes... I think I may want to try them since I do alot of palm-muting.

Thanks

tavman said:
Where do you get your recto tubes... I think I may want to try them since I do alot of palm-muting.

Thanks
www.eurotubes.com Bob deals only in JJ tubes, but IMO the JJ's are killer in Recto heads.

also look at www.dougstubes.com Never dealt with Doug myself, but heard nothing but good about him.

Using the silicone diodes it only bypasses the recto tubes right not the power output tubes ?

I am buying a triple today[/quote]

+1 Welcome to the club! You will love the triple for certain, once you have it dialed in. The EQ controls are VERY sensitive to small adjustments, so start with everything at about 12:00 and go from there.

That is what I am finding I have the amp here now.

It was used and had Ruby EL34's in it I am not sure how they compare to others and he could not tell me what pre amp tubes are in it either.

to get to the point the distortion is not what I had expected at all and I think that playing with it more will help I am reading the manual now it says that each of the tone controls really affect how the sound is shaped so I am guessing it will take some time to get used to.

I have dialed in some amazing clean sounds allready and some down right raunchy AC/DC tones as well as nice blues tones But I am looking for heavier distortion in the vain of Metallica and Pantera with lots of saturation but still very defined it seems to be breaking up heavily when I try to get there and I am using the silicon diodes allready.

there are so many possiblities though that I figure it is going to take time.

It is loud I can say that though wow hehe.

Just my .02, but if you want crushing distortion like that, lose the EL34's and put some 6L6's in there. Since the amp is used, if it were me I would retube the whole thing just to be safe...if you just bought a used car you would change the oil and spark plugs, right?

As for metal tone try this...Channel3, modern, bold, diodes, bass 12:30, mids 11:00, treb 12:00, pres 10:00, gain 2:30, master to balance w/ other channels, output at whatever your neighbors will tolerate. Like most tube amps, the more you crank it up, the better it will sound.

hmm I am finding the 2nd channel to be better for my style and I find it has more gain but this is not the way it is supposed be from what I am reading in the manual or on here is this a possible dead pre amp tube or something wrong with the 3rd channel itself ?

I just dialed in a sound that was close to what I would be looking for on the 2nd and then copied it exact on the 3rd and the gain was noticably less and it did not sound at all the same I wasn't expecting it be identical given they are meant to be different but I find the 3rd channel to be more of a boost than a ragin beast of gain like they claim it to be.

I just paid 1600 CAD for it today and I can't really afford to retube it (My wife would freak if I asked to spend another 100 or what ever it would cost to retube) I think I am going to try and replace the preamp tubes and see what that may do any tips on good high gain 12AX7's ? or preamp tubes in general ?

Sounds to me you just need a little more time to dial it in. I would'nt think you have any pre-amp tube problems without hearing excessive noise like popping, hissing, or sqealing.

jbird said:
Sounds to me you just need a little more time to dial it in.

+1 The main diff between ch's 2 and 3 is the hyperactive presence control on ch3. If you're looking for a more "sizzling" kind of distortion, that's where you're going to find it.

As for preamp tubes I like the JJ ECC82S's. You can get them graded for extra high gain. www.eurotubes.com I am inclined to agree w/ jbird... if the preamp tubes arent noisy, they're probably fine.

mrdylan said:
But I am looking for heavier distortion in the vain of Metallica and Pantera with lots of saturation but still very defined it seems to be breaking up heavily when I try to get there and I am using the silicon diodes allready.

The pickups are a large part of the equation....Metallica uses EMGs (James 60/81, Kirk 81/81)....the 81 in the bridge has a huge midrange and alot of highend without much bass....

....The Duncan Dimebucker also packs a wallop, but is very slightly scooped, without too much bass, but a huge high end.

The key here is the bass....too much bass off the pickup and you'll mud right up...

Me personally, I use an EMG 60/81 setup, and;

Gain - 10:00 to 14:00
Treb - 13:00
Mids - 13:00
Bass - 11:00
Pres - 13:00
Mast - 12:00

Then, I try to keep my master output above 13:00....enough to smooth over the tone, but not enough to have too much power amp dirt which'll mush everything up....

http://home.cogeco.ca/~screamingdaisy/New_Folder/settings_rectifier_sm_002.JPG

I also use a parametric EQ in the loop to scoop the upper mids a bit, boost the lower mids a bit, and cut a bass frequency that causes alot of feedback (I can now stand in front of my amp at full volume and rarely get any feedback).

http://home.cogeco.ca/~screamingdaisy/New_Folder/settings_parametric_eq_sm_001.JPG

mrdylan said:
hmm I am finding the 2nd channel to be better for my style and I find it has more gain but this is not the way it is supposed be from what I am reading in the manual or on here is this a possible dead pre amp tube or something wrong with the 3rd channel itself ?

The 2nd and 3rd channels are identical....except for the presence knob. If you turn the channel 2 presence knob up, and the channel 3 knob down you can dial them in identically.

I think I am going to try and replace the preamp tubes and see what that may do any tips on good high gain 12AX7's ?

Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M for the V1, Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH for the rest, and a "matched & balanced" tube for the phase inverter.

Back