Single Rectifier and Sonic Maximizer advice...please?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosh potatoes

Reaction score
i just got a bbe 362 sonic maximizer and had played around with different settings for a few hours earlier today. i couldn't quite seem to get it to sound as good as people claim it sounds. i'm running it through my effects loop with the mix knob at 100% (weird thing is if i back down the mix knob to about 80% the tone goes from natural sounding to extremely scooped..not concerned with that, just thought it was worth mentioning). anyway, does anyone else have this or a similar setup? if so, any advice on how to adjust the settings?

I had no luck running a BBE through my boogies Parallel FX loop.... It worked great once I modded it to Serial, but the Parallel loop just didn't "jive" well with the BBE. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in a parallel loop. You'd have better results running it in front of the amp or getting the BBE pedal.

I once tried one through my Dual Rec, did'nt like it, too scooped of a tone, not what a Rectifier needs!

I just tried my Single Rectifier with a BBE Sonic Stomp and the change was like night and day... the BBE gave more sparkle and liveliness to the amp, and the distortion became clearer, sharper, with more bite and, I dare to say, a tad more of gain. One friend commented that it sounded almost as his ENGL Powerball, mind you.

I used it in the effects loop with the mix set to 100%. That and a ISP Noise Suppresor and the whole thing felt like a goddamn weapon :twisted:

it had to be threw a serial loop, or u get phase issues. mesa loop set at 100 is still not the same as a serial loop.

nomad100hd said:
it had to be threw a serial loop, or u get phase issues. mesa loop set at 100 is still not the same as a serial loop.

Hey, if it works, then it works.

I have a BBE kicking around that I still use in my PA occasionally. I've tried it with various guitar amps and concluded that it doesn't do much for a Mesa, as they are generally very forward-playing amps to begin with. It sounded really nice in the loop of a Peavey Classic 30, fwiw.

b0nkersx said:
nomad100hd said:

Hey, if it works, then it works.

It works for now, at least for me. Maybe in the future (as the budget allows) I'll do the serial loop mod, but for now it will do. I rehearsed yesterday with my band and everything went smooth.

I tried one through my DR's loop (before I sold it) and had the same results. Trying to think back and if I am not mistaken, the input/output of the BBE rackmount version will accept both TS unbalanced and TRS balanced plugs. When you use TS plugs, you get an immediate 6dB line level drop. This choked it down quite a bit on the output side. It should be the last effect in the loop though.

Steve

jbird said:
I once tried one through my Dual Rec, did'nt like it, too scooped of a tone, not what a Rectifier needs!
That's all the BBEs do, enhance the highs and enhance the lows. We've all gone through the phase where we tried one though. I know one or two guys that still use one, the sad thing is they already scoop the hell out of their amps before plugging in the BBE. It's painful.

Chadd said:
jbird said:
That's all the BBEs do, enhance the highs and enhance the lows. We've all gone through the phase where we tried one though. I know one or two guys that still use one, the sad thing is they already scoop the hell out of their amps before plugging in the BBE. It's painful.

Are you serious?? The effect in the overall sound feels more as a "presence" boost rather than mid-scoop, or at least that's the feeling it gives me. The sound feels livelier and more "in your face" as opposed to cutting mids, which is a dumb practice, BTW.

BBE's are a joke. I cant believe people fall for the hype. It worked great for dubbing on cassette tapes, but not for guitar.

Back