no output on my lonestar special :(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeemo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Bought this LSS a while ago, (I was the one posting about the monophonic tubes back around Sept / oct).
It has been working great since I replaced the 12ax7 s
but now today, I turned it on, and there is absolutely NO output no sound coming from the speaker - not even a hiss when I turn it all the way up with nothing plugged in.
Also the rectifier tube is cold - not working at all .
Obviously I will be buying a 5Y3 rectifier tube, but I hope that 1) this solves the problem and brings me back my amplifier, 2) that there has been no other damage caused by the 5Y3 going south.....

Any thoughts??

thanks in advance
Zeemo

I don't know why but those tubes go out frequently. I'm sure that is the problem. It's happened twice on mine but it has not caused any other damage

check all the stupid things first cables arent broken, pedal volume isnt off, effects loop is at the right setting etc then try checking the tubes and seeing if they light

i couldnt tell you how many time someone walked into my room and messed up my pedals just try checkin the simple things before u freak out ... if you have any rack gear check that theyre all connected, powered and turned on but new tubes can break :(

the 5y3 shouldn't affect the amp if you have it on 30 watt mode.
grab a cable that you know works, and plug the guitar right into the amp.

check to make sure if you have the effect loop engaged on the back. If you do, set the output knob to 12 o'clock.

make sure the speaker jack is plugged in.

make sure the power is on.

make sure your guitar volume knob is up.

make sure you aren't on standby.

have fun!

zeemo said:
Hi folks,

Bought this LSS a while ago, (I was the one posting about the monophonic tubes back around Sept / oct).
It has been working great since I replaced the 12ax7 s
but now today, I turned it on, and there is absolutely NO output no sound coming from the speaker - not even a hiss when I turn it all the way up with nothing plugged in.
Also the rectifier tube is cold - not working at all .
Obviously I will be buying a 5Y3 rectifier tube, but I hope that 1) this solves the problem and brings me back my amplifier, 2) that there has been no other damage caused by the 5Y3 going south.....

Any thoughts??

thanks in advance
Zeemo

It sounds like your 5Y3 went out. I have had three go now, one took out the fuse. You should have no issues caused by the fried 5Y3.

TW

jeez,

I called ALL over the place and NOBODY had a 5Y3 .

I had to order one from Torres engineering. ( I actually ordered 2)
Other places had them (availavble to order) but Torres had the best price.

anyway, guess I'll wait for when they get in.... see what happens.

Thanks all,
Zeemo

I recommend an NOS 5Y3. I use one in a tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone.
They're still cheap and more reliable than a new one.
I've also used a 5R4 in the amp with similar results.

Used the F30 tonight at rehearsal, man does that thing scream . At first I didn't like it cause I'm so used to the LSS. But after I tweaked the tone, and got it to a decent master vol level and then used the vol, on the guitar (LP Classic) (no pedals - fx) nasty bite, singing sustain, feedback at will, it was heaven, I gotta get the lonestar to act like that !!

.......going to check with Torres tomorrow to see if the 5Y3 's been shipped yet

Later,

Zeemo

Recieved the 5Y3 rectifier tubes from Torres today -Sovtek russian.
amp is singing sweetly again - I'm in boogie heaven.
Just thought I would share..............

The F30 still is a screamer though.

then again, when I fired up the LSS there was no 'getting used to it' period. It just sounds sweet from the second you play the first note through it.

Les Paul classic ? $1500.00
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special? $1200.00
12' Monster cable ? $40.00
guitar pick ? $.35

sound of the first blues lick or power chord when cranked to only about 8-9 oclock ?

........Priceless

A very relieved and satisfied LSS owner.

Zeemo

Latest posts

Back