Quick Question on Express 5 Watt Mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarchris76

Reaction score
I have noticed that when I switch my Express to 5 Watt mode both power tubes stay lit. The literature says the amp goes down to one power tube. I do not know anything about amps or electronics but am guessing this is normal. Can anyone help. I have also noticed that I get a slight pop when taking the amp off and putting the amp one stanby in 5 watt mode. Is this also normal? (Mesa says yes but I wanted to double check)

guitarchris76 said:
I have noticed that when I switch my Express to 5 Watt mode both power tubes stay lit. The literature says the amp goes down to one power tube. I do not know anything about amps or electronics but am guessing this is normal. Can anyone help. I have also noticed that I get a slight pop when taking the amp off and putting the amp one stanby in 5 watt mode. Is this also normal? (Mesa says yes but I wanted to double check)

I have the 5:25 and experience the same things. It's possible that while only one tube is operating in 5W mode the other one is still on standby. You'll notice that with your amp on standby only (in either 5/25W mode) the tubes are still lit.

Dan

+1 that'll make sense just in case u decide to switch back to a higher wattage setting and if the tubes aren't warmed up I'm guessing it'll sound bad in some way

The orange glow is from the heaters in the tubes. These will always be on as long as the amp is on.

The power to the tube's high voltage supply is dependant on the mode 5/25W and the standby switch.

I wondered about that too.
When my Express 5:50 is in 5 watt mode both of my power tubes glow blue.
They're both getting high voltage and are both active.

I'm curious, do you guys switch to Standby before switching the power setting (either to 5 or to 25/50)? Sometimes I get a loud pop when switching the power and have since went to Standby before power switching. Just curious ...

-MattG
-Express 5:50

I switch it to standby. Not only because I don't like the pop sound, but that's the way the guy who showed it to me at the dealer did it.

I'm curious, do you guys switch to Standby before switching the power setting (either to 5 or to 25/50)? Sometimes I get a loud pop when switching the power and have since went to Standby before power switching.

I usually switch it to standby, too, but it doesn't always "pop" when I forget to do so.

Latest posts

Back