220V and Mesa amps in europe/Australia

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyStrat

Reaction score
When I was living in Germany 1991, I ordered my MKIV. It was built for 220V/240V. When I left there for North Carolina, I took it to the MB service rep in Raleigh. It was a simple fix, he had to call MB on the phone for instructions. He moved a few wire leads on the transformer and that was it. I do know that when I ordered it, I specified the "export transformer". Kinda good if I decide to go back to Europe.

I haven't seen anything in Mesa literature about export trannies for a while. I think it fell off of there around the time they discontinued ordering and started selling through dealers. Mesa would probably have to answer that one. Anyway, there's loads of Boogie artists that jump back and forth across the pond to do shows/gigs. I'm maybe thinking that there is a switchable tranny instead of having to resolder wires every time.

On mine, I stood there and watched the tech resolder 2 wires, it was simple, I can do it the next time if I can remember which wires to move. From what I recall, the tranny leads were marked with their voltages.

pretty amazing how expensive they are in oz, i had a big debate with a guy from pro audio over email about how i thought they were gouging. i'll post it in its entirety maybe.

i'm gonna use a 500w stepdown and see if i can get sherlock amps to send me a 240v tranny, i don't think rectos have switchable transformers

i have a C+ thats 240v and a mk IV ruining 120v.. i use a 500 watt tranny on the mk IV.. i Think Europe get'***** harder but.. prices are high but well worth it..

jaredrutledge said:
pretty amazing how expensive they are in oz, i had a big debate with a guy from pro audio over email about how i thought they were gouging. i'll post it in its entirety maybe.

Just started looking into getting a Mesa. You are right, they are an outrageous rip off here in Oz. Considering that our currencies (Oz v USA) are almost on par it seems there is something weird going on. Same with guitars too, just brought a Gibson Explorer back from Canada (CAD$999), try AUD$2200 on for size. We are getting ripped off blind down here! If it wasn't for the voltage hassle I would have brought a head back too.

I run my US amps (in a 220/240 country) using a step-down transformer. Its a quality 1000W one, about the size of 5 DVD cases stacked on top of each other. There's cheaper and smaller ones available.

Every Mesa ive owned bar one has been 117V, it just has worked out much much cheaper that way, even with shipping and customs. Ive never had a problem using the step-down, and i've never replaced any transformers because
a)it would take a big chunk out of the saving i'd made.
b) Good amp techs are like hens teeth over here.

Actually, even when I look at the local classifieds (remember we're talking about a 220V country), most Mesa's that get sold are 117V. Probably fully half of the Boogies in the country are US voltage, guys have been importing them for years instead of paying the ridiculous local prices.

voodoo_child said:
I run my US amps (in a 220/240 country) using a step-down transformer. Its a quality 1000W one, about the size of 5 DVD cases stacked on top of each other. There's cheaper and smaller ones available.

Every Mesa ive owned bar one has been 117V, it just has worked out much much cheaper that way, even with shipping and customs. Ive never had a problem using the step-down, and i've never replaced any transformers because
a)it would take a big chunk out of the saving i'd made.
b) Good amp techs are like hens teeth over here.

Actually, even when I look at the local classifieds (remember we're talking about a 220V country), most Mesa's that get sold are 117V. Probably fully half of the Boogies in the country are US voltage, guys have been importing them for years instead of paying the ridiculous local prices.

Amen to that!! 8)

Do you have any recommendations for a quality step-down tranny?

I looked in to this at work for a guy in the Army. Mesa told me he had to call them directly if he needed 240v/export stuff.

I bought a Single Recto from the States to Australia and bought a 500w step down transformer like this.
productLarge_1816.jpg

It was Aus$200 and I got the amp for Aus$960 which is a bargain for getting one here. (AUS$3400 retail new!!!!)
You can get replacement transformer for around $300 and I believe they are not too difficult to put in yourself. Any music shop amp tech will be able to do it for a price also.

enuenu said:
just brought a Gibson Explorer back from Canada (CAD$999), try AUD$2200 on for size. We are getting ripped off blind down here! If it wasn't for the voltage hassle I would have brought a head back too.

any hassle getting it in the plane? Im stopping off in L.A en route to Oz from the UK and wouldn't mind grabbing a new axe and maybe some other bits and bobs, seriously considered a head also. lol.

No hassle on Air Canada. The Explorer went on as one of my bags, so it was treated as just another bag. I clothed it in cardboard and hoped for the best. It came out OK. The Explorer's nice case helped.

There has to be an opening in importing Mesa gear into Oz I would think, but I guess there are $ costs I don't know of. Either that or the Australian Mesa importer has stitched up an exclusive deal and can charge whatever they want???
http://www.proaudio.com.au/sales/prod_list.php?dpt=5&cls=1&sal=%&pag=6
Guitar prices here baffle me also but what do I know?

enuenu said:
There has to be an opening in importing Mesa gear into Oz I would think, but I guess there are $ costs I don't know of. Either that or the Australian Mesa importer has stitched up an exclusive deal and can charge whatever they want???

I don’t think there is room for two Mesa importers into such a small market. And I am sure Pro Audio have stitched it up.

Why Mesas are more expensive in Oz:
They are made in the U.S.
It's a 14 hour plane trip to Oz.
How much does it cost to buy gas for the plane?
Question answered.

If you look at shipping costs I don't think that makes up for the difference. I could buy a seat on a plane for a recto head and quad and still come out slightly in front I reckon. I would guess FedEx or similar could do a lot better but I have to admit I am guessing as I haven't done detailed research.
Anyway its a tired old story I guess. Living in this outpost has its cost! If I can find a Mark series on USA ebay with the variable voltage switch (not sure if these were export only) maybe I will see if it stacks up with freight costs included.
Looking at USA ebay is not good for my mental health.

No, they were not export only. It was an add-on option anyone could buy (like the EV speaker or hardwood cab or graphic EQ).

Mesa prices in Norway are as a rule of thumb three times bigger. It's sick, and I can't figure out what possible import/export/taxes/customs could justify the price.

I ran a little comparison chart for you guys to look at. Basically just illustrates the retail price differences for Mesa/Boogie amps and cabinets in the US and Norway. Shown in US$ and NOK:

PriceComparisonChartUS-Norway.jpg

Octavarius said:
Mesa prices in Norway are as a rule of thumb three times bigger. It's sick, and I can't figure out what possible import/export/taxes/customs could justify the price.
Yep, its ridiculous, and shipping/taxes can't even come close to explaining the price difference. The money isn't going to customer service either, you certainly won't hear great stories about Mesa service in Europe the way you do in the US.

Its just a racket, plain and simple, the profit margin is probably astronomical. F*ck them, I don't buy my Mesa's in Europe so they're not getting my money :wink:

voodoo_child said:
Octavarius said:
Yep, its ridiculous, and shipping/taxes can't even come close to explaining the price difference. The money isn't going to customer service either, you certainly won't hear great stories about Mesa service in Europe the way you do in the US.

Its just a racket, plain and simple, the profit margin is probably astronomical. F*ck them, I don't buy my Mesa's in Europe so they're not getting my money :wink:

How do you do it, then? :?

It seems a little competition would also be welcome in Norway. I'm sure non USA sales would increase markedly if prices were sane and reasonable.

enuenu said:
If you look at shipping costs I don't think that makes up for the difference. I could buy a seat on a plane for a recto head and quad and still come out slightly in front I reckon. I would guess FedEx or similar could do a lot better but I have to admit I am guessing as I haven't done detailed research.
Anyway its a tired old story I guess. Living in this outpost has its cost! If I can find a Mark series on USA ebay with the variable voltage switch (not sure if these were export only) maybe I will see if it stacks up with freight costs included.
Looking at USA ebay is not good for my mental health.

I bought a Single Recto from the US second hand off EBay for AUS$965.00. Bought it into Australia with DHL. As I got it for under AUS$1000 it attracted no Duty or Tax.
The last second hand one on EBay went for AUS$1800. A new Single Recto here retails for AUS$3400. Best I could do would have been $2800.
So I got mine for an all up total including freight (DHL AUS $455) and 500v step down trannie (AUS$220) for AUS $1640.

Only problem (in Oz) with importing anything over $1000 is that it attracts duty of 5% and then GST on top of that total and freight of 10%. So it mounts up. At present the Oz $ is pretty good along side the US$.

Latest posts

Back