Mythbuster? Power tubes have little effect on tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine has made the following assertion (see [1] below). This is counter-intuitive to me and doesn't match my experience; my response is at [2] below.

This is a smart guy; he works in scientific research and builds amps on the side.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

[1]
• Power tubes have very little to do with tone quality unless they are driven to clip
o This will only happen in a scenario where the preamp chain is relatively low gain and the power tubes are clipped through high volume settings (I would assume especially master volume settings) and/or higher input from the guitar (e.g. hot pickups or hard playing)
o At clipped levels power tubes will make a huge difference in tone quality
• Therefore, the any tone differences between EL84, EL34, 6L6 amps have little to do with the power tubes and mostly are due to amp design, preamp tubes, and biasing

Furthermore, he asserts:

"Everything else being equal you shouldn’t be hearing much difference between different tubes until they’re driven to the point of clipping. This is based on my experience designing and building amps. Output transformer, preamp and speaker define most of the tone of a medium to high gain amp. Cleans are a different story, there breakup comes into play when you hit the strings hard and there’s no preamp to speak of (just a couple of triodes and that’s it).

You see similarities between Boogie IIC+ and Fender because Boogie IS a Fender with an extra gain stage or two and tweaked tone shaping. These days they hypocritically brag about their patents on stuff other people invented decades ago, but back then they didn’t see anything wrong with “borrowing” their designs from Fender. That’s why it farts out when you turn the Bass knob past around 4 on the gain channel. They took a Fender circuit (with tone stack after the first stage) and threw in some more gain and master volume.

Likewise, you hear similarities between Ace and Marshall because Ace is most likely a Marshall from gain architecture standpoint (I assume it’s similar to Recto with a few component values changed and a different output transformer. And Recto is pretty much based on Soldano SLO with different voicing and a few bells and whistles). I have not played Lonestar/Dr Z/Vox, so I won’t comment on them.

The main reason why LSS and LSC sound differently is because:

a. They have a different output transformer. OT is a very important part that defines your amp’s high frequency roll-off and bottom end density.

b. Their tubes are biased differently, with LSS biased hotter. This further emphasizes the differences between the two, since smaller transformer will change its frequency response differently as you increase idle current. This is also why 100W amps sound differently with two out of 4 tubes pulled out – less core saturation, slightly different frequency response.

Also, even though Mesa claims that LSS is “Class A”, it really is not (and neither is Vox), in all modes but 5W (at 5W it has no choice because single ended amp can only be class A). The max you can get from four EL84 in “real” class A is about 10W per pair.

Here’s an article that explains why that is: http://www.aikenamps.com/VoxAC30classA_2.html"

[2]
My response:

This is very interesting information; that said, as an experienced player I observe that: EL34s sound boxy, 6L6 sound round and fendery, EL84 sounds bright and chimy. Am I hearing the sounds of different (but similar between e.g. Marshall/Ace) designs, not different output tubes? I don’t know enough about amps to know. Required premises for the argument would be: Lone Star ‘Classic’ is fundamentally a fender (clean channel is very Fendery); similarities between Marshalls (among themselves) and in comparison with an Ace are enough that it’s not the EL34s that make them sound the same to me; LSS is enough like a Vox or Dr. Z to account for the similarity in sound.

It is hard for me to imagine that amp designers use different tubes if they really make little difference. I would assume they would then design their amps to sound as desired (preamp stage, trannies, etc.) and then use the most reliable power tubes possible. I understand that EL84s are less reliable then 6L6; it is therefore counter-intuitive that e.g. Mesa would use them for anything.

Where did you get your information on LSS/LSC?

I’ve heard the argument about true class A vis-à-vis LSS and AC30 and it is compelling.

Fun topic!

I have to agree with your friend when he says that the output tranny has more effect than the power tubes on an amp's tone. I also have found that the speaker used has more effect than output tubes on the amp's tone. preamp tubes in a medium to high gain amp tend to have more effect than power tubes do on tone...I've changed output trannys leaving other stuff alone, done the same with power tubes, done the same with preamp tubes, done the same with rectifier tubes, changed bias settings, changed main power transformer, all on the same amp. Actually changing out one variable at a time while leaving the others alone is better than hearsay. Better to do the science than just talk about it. That is what your friend has done.

As far as el84's being less reliable than 6l6, well, it depends on the el84 and the 6l6. I have some Russian military el84 types that are rated for 5000 hours in my Maverick. Don't know how many if any new production 6l6's are rated for that kind of life...

Yes, you are hearing the sounds of different output tubes, you are right! It's easy in an amp designed to run different power tubes to hear the differences between tube types, and lots of fun to voice an amp for a particular guitar or room! It is possible to hear differences in tone betwen different brands of the same tube type, too...but changing out different speakers or output trannys will make more of a difference. Pain in the butt to switch output trannies though... :wink:

Bias has a big effect on tone. Randall Smith wrote a compelling article on what the difference is between Class A and Class AB tube operation for guitar amps, some of the best toilet seat reading available anywhere for a guitar player to have, a little bit at a time on a daily basis over a long time is a better way for it to be understood, not best to do in a single read.

The differences cited by your friend between LSC and LSS are easily gleaned from Mesa info available to everyone in brochures, online info, or from actually physically inspecting the amps.

I've intently studied Aiken's link about the Vox ac-30 not being class A, the oscilloscope tracings are intriguing, as is the conclusion that the B+ voltage is too high in the vox for the tube to bias all the way into class A without tube failure. Same situation exists with My Maverick, same in the LSS.

You have made a great post, it asks excellent questions. Hope my words are seen as hopeful and helpful and not as pissing and dissing. Peace and good luck to all here.

You can do all the math and spew out all the textbook theory that you want. The bottom line is I will always trust my ears over someone telling me how much something should or should not effect my tone any day of the week, and my ears tell me that I can hear a difference in power tubes, even when they're not pushed hard... :wink:

Silverwulf said:
You can do all the math and spew out all the textbook theory that you want. The bottom line is I will always trust my ears over someone telling me how much something should or should not effect my tone any day of the week, and my ears tell me that I can hear a difference in power tubes, even when they're not pushed hard... :wink:

Ditto. :lol:

I've definitely noticed a difference between different power tubes. Or even better, I had swapped 6L6's back into my amp after using KT77's for quite a while (I was back to experimenting with my sound). My singer made a comment that my amp sounded a lot bassier that night, even though he had no idea that I swapped out my tubes. It's in the ears. Also, I'm currently running EL34's in my Recto, I will be swapping back to KT77's after I get a few $$$'s together for new ones. Why? Better sonic range.

jtb226 said:
Silverwulf said:

Ditto. :lol:

The guy is correct in what he's saying. If you read carefully, he's making some points specifically, that unless you understand the electrical nature of tubes, may not be obvious. I'm not sure if your "not pushed hard" necessarily equates to "not driven to clip". So here is what he said...

Power tubes have very little to do with tone quality unless they are driven to clip
o This will only happen in a scenario where the preamp chain is relatively low gain and the power tubes are clipped through high volume settings (I would assume especially master volume settings) and/or higher input from the guitar (e.g. hot pickups or hard playing)
o At clipped levels power tubes will make a huge difference in tone quality

Note the "unless they are driven to clip" piece. It's important. If the tubes are not clipping, they are essentially amplifying with no distortion. Yes, there is *some* difference in freq response, but it's minor, which is why he says, "power tubes have *very little* to do (he didn't say "no effect") with tone quality."

Then he says "at clipped levels power tubes will make a *HUGE* difference in tone quality." Clearly this is true, as the distortion effects are very different between tube designs.

While you're unlikely to get power tubes to clip at bedroom levels, it's not like it takes max volume either. At reasonably loud levels the power tubes will start to clip, and you'll hear the differences come through.

So I don't think your ears are wrong necessarily, and this guy is certainly not wrong. If you think you can hear the difference and you really want to test it, get a tech to tap your output tubes, and put them on a scope. He can make sure it's not clipping, then he can substitute power tubes and you can see if you can tell a difference in a blind test. Might be an interesting experiment.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I've definitely noticed a difference between different power tubes. Or even better, I had swapped 6L6's back into my amp after using KT77's for quite a while (I was back to experimenting with my sound). My singer made a comment that my amp sounded a lot bassier that night, even though he had no idea that I swapped out my tubes. It's in the ears. Also, I'm currently running EL34's in my Recto, I will be swapping back to KT77's after I get a few $$$'s together for new ones. Why? Better sonic range.

I don't think anyone is saying there is not a difference in power tubes. CLEARLY there is a difference. What the guy originally asserted is the difference has little to do with the tone when the tubes are not driven to clip. That's a LOT different than saying, "there is not a difference" (which the guy didn't say).

GeoBull said:
I would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

[1]
• Power tubes have very little to do with tone quality unless they are driven to clip...
That like the analogy : "All cars are the same, so long you are driving 5 miles an hour."

Once you play a tube amp at moderate level, its clipping, a sweet distortion that's pleasant to our ears. That is why we play tube amps. Gee ... :x

He's right on pretty much every point that he made. It just seems odd that you would memorize all that word-for-word and then re-type it here. Odd, that...

Silverwulf said:

+1 :wink:

RocksOff said:
He's right on pretty much every point that he made. It just seems odd that you would memorize all that word-for-word and then re-type it here. Odd, that...

There's this new fangled thing called cut and paste :)

Seriously, I guess the key point here is when is a tube clipping? It must be earlier than the point at which we hear break-up or distortion; that's what at even low volume levels power tubes have unique sounds. I don't know enough about tube amps and electronics but I'm reading through the Randell Smith article for the second time and getting a lot out of it.

End of the day: I can tell the difference between 6L6, EL-84, EL-34 at any reasonable volume. I assume that tubes are techincally clipping pretty early because the difference in sound is clear.

GeoBull said:
Seriously, I guess the key point here is when is a tube clipping? It must be earlier than the point at which we hear break-up or distortion; that's what at even low volume levels power tubes have unique sounds. I don't know enough about tube amps and electronics but I'm reading through the Randell Smith article for the second time and getting a lot out of it.

End of the day: I can tell the difference between 6L6, EL-84, EL-34 at any reasonable volume. I assume that tubes are techincally clipping pretty early because the difference in sound is clear.

Interesting! I'm curious what setup are you using to isolate the sound difference to the power tubes?

simonich said:
Interesting! I'm curious what setup are you using to isolate the sound difference to the power tubes?

I'm not doing anything scientific; I have an LSC and an LSS; I've A/B'd them and used each one in different situations. I also own a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. and a Mk ii c+. I've owned one and played a fair number of Marshalls (=EL34s) and test drove an Ace (=EL34s). I've played a ton of Fenders and tried out all sorts of other amps: 6V6, EL84, 6L6, etc.

My conclusion is that I can tell the difference between amps with different power tubes and hear similarities between different amps with the same power tubes. That difference seems logically related to the power tubes (LSC is different from LSS is different from Marshall, etc). Furthermore, I've noted clear similarities between amps powered by the same type of tube (Marshall is similar to Ace, LSC is similar to Fender, LSS is similar to Dr Z or Vox AC30). These similarities are between amps with the same type of power tubes. My friend has indicated that some of this is because e.g. Mk ii c+ architecture is based on Fender and so sounds like one, Ace architecture is based on Marshall and so sound like one. This could be; whatever the case, I can tell the difference between different tubed amps and the similarities between similarly tubed amps. Given the logic of what my friend has proposed (which is based on a much deeper understanding of tube amps than I have) I assume that tubes 'clip' rather early in the output level and that I'm hearing the different clippings of different types of tubes.

GeoBull said:
simonich said:

I'm not doing anything scientific; I have an LSC and an LSS; I've A/B'd them and used each one in different situations. I also own a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. and a Mk ii c+. I've owned one and played a fair number of Marshalls (=EL34s) and test drove an Ace (=EL34s). I've played a ton of Fenders and tried out all sorts of other amps: 6V6, EL84, 6L6, etc.

My conclusion is that I can tell the difference between amps with different power tubes and hear similarities between different amps with the same power tubes. That difference seems logically related to the power tubes (LSC is different from LSS is different from Marshall, etc). Furthermore, I've noted clear similarities between amps powered by the same type of tube (Marshall is similar to Ace, LSC is similar to Fender, LSS is similar to Dr Z or Vox AC30). These similarities are between amps with the same type of power tubes. My friend has indicated that some of this is because e.g. Mk ii c+ architecture is based on Fender and so sounds like one, Ace architecture is based on Marshall and so sound like one. This could be; whatever the case, I can tell the difference between different tubed amps and the similarities between similarly tubed amps. Given the logic of what my friend has proposed (which is based on a much deeper understanding of tube amps than I have) I assume that tubes 'clip' rather early in the output level and that I'm hearing the different clippings of different types of tubes.

Yes, using that approach you're hearing the output tubes. But you're also different pre-amp tubes, pre-amp circuits, phase inverter tubes, output transformers, etc. i.e. a lot of variables in there. I think that's why he probably made his original point that those other factors color the sound more than the output tubes.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter as no one listens to just output tubes. :)

Though it would be interesting to plug a guitar into a loop return and swap different tubes in and out. say 6L6, EL34, and then maybe some yellow jackets. I think that would give a much more "scientific" test of whether the tube sound could be heard. One could easily do this on a LSC for example. And it could be done as a blind test. 8)

GeoBull said:
Power tubes have little effect on tone.
:roll:
I find this statement to be one that could only be made by a non-musician, or even if a trained scientist one who does his listening with electronic instruments rather than his ears. If power tubes have little or no effect on tone than why are there so many different types and preferences when it comes to power tubes. And as for the mythbuster part he sounds more like a mythmaker to me.

I would have to agree. Just switching back and forth between el34's and 6l6's on my RK, I can definitely hear more than what I would call "little difference." I play at relatively low volumes in my house too, so there isn't much if any power tube breakup going on. Just my opinion. Pretty easy to let your ears decide on the RK. All you're switching between is the power tubes.

Heard it all before, a million times, on a variety of boards or from "knowledgable" mouths themselves. Sure there are a myrad of factors that lend a given amp its tone. Sure the OT has LOTS to do with the tone we perceive. But to minimize the power tubes' influence on tone is to ignore one of the key components (again, of *many* components) of any tube amp.

Lots of tone myths out there to be sure ...but to suggest a primary part of the whole plays such a small role is like saying the fuel in race car really makes no appreciable difference.

Edward

There are those of us who hear a distinct difference when we switch our picks! Now, we are not going to notice swapping out power tubes?

t0aj15 said:
GeoBull said:
Power tubes have little effect on tone.
:roll:
I find this statement to be one that could only be made by a non-musician, or even if a trained scientist one who does his listening with electronic instruments rather than his ears. If power tubes have little or no effect on tone than why are there so many different types and preferences when it comes to power tubes. And as for the mythbuster part he sounds more like a mythmaker to me.
Just to be clear: this ("Power tubes have little effect on tone") is not my statement (I, GeoBull) this is the statement of my aquaintence, one with which my experience leads me to disagree.

Back