Mesa Roadking Series 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceremony5150

Reaction score
I can't decide to keep or sell my Roadking Series 1. Has anyone trried Petrucci's settings? Anyone thing this will be Collectores item down the road?

Personally, I love the cleans on the RK1. I haven't tried a Lonestar before but I think the RK1 is well balanced. I rely heavily on my dirty channels and sometimes the cleans shimmer way too much, so I use my dirty channel with a volume pedal so its more twangy.

I've thought about replacing my amp in the past, but I just can't do it. You might miss it too much when its gone

I have both RK I and RK II.

I'll keep both. I love them. I won't replace RK I by another RK II.

ceremony5150 said:
I can't decide to keep or sell my Roadking Series 1. Has anyone trried Petrucci's settings? Anyone thing this will be Collectores item down the road?

Don't do it man.J.P told me about the RKI and thats why I brought one!
You'll be sorry when it's gone..
Richb
www.myspace.com/richbrymer

Bruceta said:

Me too, bought the RKII & was gonna sell the RKI on fleabay until I saw the prices that the RKI's are going for. The RKII has better cleans & a better reverb, that's the only differences I can tell. The RKI is still an incredible beast even without the RKII upgrades. I prefer the RKII but I'm certainly not going to give the RKI away on fleabay. Anyhoo, I A/B switch the MKIV for cleans and leads while I use the RK's for chugging & crunching. Meanwhile, I'll just keep both cause I finally have tonal utopia.

does a bear do its business in the woods? yes it will be a collectors item and dude it sounds amazing idk why people unload them for the other one

ceremony5150 said:

I dont think it will ever be a collectors item, too many where made and the RKII is just as good or better then the RK1. Should you sell depends on whether or not you need the money. Right now they are going cheap so depending on how much you paid you might take a loss.

Bruceta said:

What about the RK1 or I should say what does it have that you would not replace it with an RKII? Is the distortion tone better or different enough? I know about cleans and all the other technical differences. I own a RK! and love it enough that I dont feel the need to replace it, I also have a Roadster so I know the differene between the cleans.

I won't replace because for my needs they both work extremely well.
Clean and dirty channels are great on both.

I am in love now with my new Dual Recto Blacked-out. Great tone and easier to carry around than a Road King.

siggy14 said:
ceremony5150 said:

I dont think it will ever be a collectors item, too many where made and the RKII is just as good or better then the RK1.

That'd be my line of reasoning as well.
This is not a case where the earlier model had something 'special' that the update failed to deliver, it's more of a case where the newer model (RK II) gave you basically everything that the earlier model (RK I) and then some. I.e., it's more like Mark IIc vs IIc+ than IIc+ vs III.
So no, unless someone big (bigger than Petrucci) makes a major breakthrough album with the RK I, I can't see it gaining any notable 'collector's item' value.

That's not to say a RK I can't be a great amp in its own right. If you like it and the sounds it makes, why sell it?

Bruceta said:
I won't replace because for my needs they both work extremely well.
Clean and dirty channels are great on both.

I am in love now with my new Dual Recto Blacked-out. Great tone and easier to carry around than a Road King.

Yeah I know that feeling, I purchased a 2 channel triple and dual for that reason, well I think the 2 channel dual is going up for sale but I will keep the 2 channel triple.

LesPaul70 said:
siggy14 said:
ceremony5150 said:

I dont think it will ever be a collectors item, too many where made and the RKII is just as good or better then the RK1.

That'd be my line of reasoning as well.
This is not a case where the earlier model had something 'special' that the update failed to deliver, it's more of a case where the newer model (RK II) gave you basically everything that the earlier model (RK I) and then some. I.e., it's more like Mark IIc vs IIc+ than IIc+ vs III.
So no, unless someone big (bigger than Petrucci) makes a major breakthrough album with the RK I, I can't see it gaining any notable 'collector's item' value.

That's not to say a RK I can't be a great amp in its own right. If you like it and the sounds it makes, why sell it?

I agree, the RK1's are killer amps and a great bang for the buck right now. Things I love about the RK1 that I wish the RKII had, I love the pent/triode option, I also love that I have two different loops, one serial and one parallel so I get the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Back