Lonestar power tubes.....6l6 or el34?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LONESTAR1x12

Reaction score
Hey all!!...this is my first visit, so...here goes...I've got a (big surprise!), Lonestar 1x12, and I'm currently running Boogie EL 34's....I find the high end to be more "biting" than with the stock 6L6 set-up, which I like...my question is this...has anyone ever investigated what the amp sounds like using other tube manufactuers tubes?.....eg: Groove Tubes??....I'm not sure if Groove Tubes claim that their tubes are more consistent, and subject to better quality control, is just hype and hot air??....

bye the way....this site is long overdue....I've used nothing but Boogies since I started playing 30+ years ago...from a MK2C...to a Dual Recto...to a Nomad,(ok..nobody's perfect..lol)...to my favorite of all..the Lonestar...
thanks Randall!!!

LONESTAR1x12 said:
...has anyone ever investigated what the amp sounds like using other tube manufactuers tubes?.....eg: Groove Tubes??....I'm not sure if Groove Tubes claim that their tubes are more consistent, and subject to better quality control, is just hype and hot air??....
After 30+ years of playing, you aughta' know about all the GT hype and bullshit! :wink:

Gotta give 'em credit for trying to develop the GT-12AX7M, The new 6L6 and 6CA7...

I like getting my tubes from "Lord Valve", aka Willie at NBS Electronics

NOTE... A short-form catalog is also available; it has
only the tube types and pricing, with no details. Preamp,
rectifier and power tubes are listed in the SF catalog.
If you know what you want and don't need descriptions
send a blank e-mail to [email protected] and put
"SF CATALOG" on the subject line.

Back