What buckers to use with my Mark IV ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a brand new Mark IV 2 weeks ago !!

Now I want new pickups for my mahogany Jackson soloist.
It's currently loaded with stock Seymour-Duncan JB/59' combo.

I'm looking for pups that have a bit more gain and sustain.
I play metal (think Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, CoB ... I'm more of a lead player and I prefer Petrucci and Akerfeldt's tones).
I want to keep the Mark IV's articulate tone and I don't want to lose the cleans !

I'm not afraid to go active.

Here are my options (for bridge position) :
Duncan Distorsion
SD Blackout
Dimarzio D-Activator
Dimarzio X2N
EMG81
BKP Warpig
BG Hellabucker

Anyone tried one of these on a mahogany bodied axe through a Mark IV ? Please comment ! I don't want to try them all ...

I'm also looking for additional suggestions for bridge and neck position as well.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used any of the above pickups, however I use BKP's and their great pickups man. That dude knows what he's doing for sure.I rock BKP Crawlers and Rebel Yells in two of my Les Pauls and love'em. Wolfetone makes really good pickups as well I have a set of Marshallheads in another Les Paul that are mind blowing.

I have an EMG 81 in my Gibson ES 335. It is a great pickup but sounds better if you lower away from the strings a bit. Otherwise it can be harsh. I have an EMG HB in the fingerboard, sounds like a Gretsch or Fender more than a Gibson but I play classic and root styles - currently in a Motown band. I love how quiet the EMGs are, not getting shocked, the low magnetic field (more sustain and more in tune) and last but not least - I can run pedals or long cables and not lose my highs. It seems like everybody either loves or hates EMGs though so YMMV.

I find EMG's to be a bit sterile, but decent. The X2N's are really noisy, so you'd better be an extra clean player with those pup's. I'm getting ready to toss mine. Then again, I'm using a recto.

A Tom Anderson H3 or HN3 would also be an excellent candidate for what you're after.

cant play pool with a rop said:
I haven't used any of the above pickups, however I use BKP's and their great pickups man. That dude knows what he's doing for sure.I rock BKP Crawlers and Rebel Yells in two of my Les Pauls and love'em. Wolfetone makes really good pickups as well I have a set of Marshallheads in another Les Paul that are mind blowing.
I'll probably get BKPs too. I don't know which ones though; Painkiller or ceramic Warpig for bridge, Cold sweat or Nailbomb for neck ... it's not an easy decision when you can't try them!

^^ check the BKP forum, like this forum everyone is eager to help. E-mail Tim of BKP and TRUST his recommendation he was spot on with my needs. They're pricey but worth every bit and then some. We have to be very careful when comes to gear cause there's a lot of overpriced mediocre stuff in the industry. I certainly don't feel this way about BKP.

I have Rebel Yell(LPaul), Holy Diver/Cold sweat neck (LP Custom) and a Miracle MAn in my Jackson PC-1-the ceramics might make your cleans a little cold...email Tim at BK-he is the one to ask-he will listen to your thoughts and get back quickly
my fave is the Rebel...I think they blend nicely with my Boogies-gets me anything from Billy G to Tool-sweet harmonics, but not too compressed-worth the $$ IMO

sounds like the right combo-Tim is a great guy and easy to deal with-its worth the extra $$ in the end to be treated like a human by a human...esp. a guy like Tim, who is a killer player as well!keep me updated on how it turns out

Latest posts

Back