Pre amp tubes?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymo

Reaction score
when i turn the output volume up to rehersal volume i get popping sounds in every channel, it's only noticeabel when im not playing. this started happening a few weeks ago, but now the popping has become faster and more noticeable.
Is it time for new preamp tubes?

by the way its a 2003 dual rect solo head.
what do you guys think
thankyou much.

Most likely a tube. See also thread "Mysterious popping sound....." Weird sounds can come from dirty power.

If you decide on retubing, take a look at the Eurotubes high gain kit. Hate to come off like a salesman, but I recently put this setup in my Triple-Rec along with the GZ34 recto tubes and its awesome.

NoGlassNoClass,

Could you detail what the GZ34 recto tubes are like? I've experimented with every other tube in my Road King...except the recto.

Thanks.

The GZ34/5AR4 recto's have a much faster rise time, and higher peak voltage. In my Triple, they are the best compromise between the tight attack of the diode rec for rhythm, and the tube rec for soloing and clean tones. I'm not sure you would gain any advantage in your RoadKing, as you can assign different recto settings per channel, essentially having a diode-rec overdriven rhythm, and tube rec lead. If you find the tube-rectified sound to bee a bit too saggy or loose in the lows, the GZ34's do tighten it up quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back