Roadster - channel 2 help...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
It seems that I am able to nail down the tone I want for all channels except CH2. It is a tricky channel for some reason. I basically want it to be a dirty clean channel to pull off some Ty Tabor (King's X) type chord picking. I don't want to have two clean channels and I want it to be as different as the other channels and just as usable as well. It always seems too harsh for some reason, though. You guys have any settings I can try out?

Thanks.........

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to use up the current (stock) tubes and then I'll experiment with some different tubes... I was hoping for a non-tube replacement fix in the meantime. :)

Are you using ch1 for clean tone? Maybe you could replicate that on ch2 and try ch1 for the sound your after. (although I'm not familiar with Ty Tabor's sound so I could be completely off base here!)

That could work... I'll give it a try. Ty's tone is a smooth, dirty clean sound. Here's the tone I'm after for channel 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9eDQRXMP0

It's a little hard to hear once the rest of the band comes in after the intro part. I think you get the picture though...

I put a JJ in V1, I use the tweed w/ gain up on ch 1 for my dirty clean sound, and use the fat on ch 2 for my ultra clean.

What p'ups are you using?

IMO start with the Tweed mode, keeping the volume dialed back a bit on the guitar. Start with the Gain at zero (7:00) and Ch Master at like 4:00 (almost full on). Use the Gain to adjust your "dirt" and overall volume. Keep tweaking the EQ as you bring up the gain (volume). The Treble can help add to the dirt as well. If Tweed breaks up too early try Fat.

At least that's where I would start.

Good Luck and Enjoy that Roadster !!

Dom

Here's a heavy Brit mode setting that I'm very happy with for soloing:

Tube Rectified
C90 Open Back Cabinet
2xEL34

Reverb: Nearly Dimed
Gain: Nearly Dimed
Treble: Nearly Dimed
Mid: Nearly Dimed
Bass: 12:15
Presence: 3:30
Master: 7:15

Here's a Jazz sound I like in Fat mode:

Tube Rectified
C90 Open Back Cabinet
2x6L6

Reverb: 10:30
Gain: 12:00
Treble: 4:30
Mid: 2:30
Bass: 8:30
Presence: 2:00
Master: 10:30

Spongy mode for both. The guitar's volume needs to come down to at least 8 and tone maybe 6 with humbucking pickups. You can live without the EL34's I think and maybe the open back cabinet, though it won't sound as sweet or quite as fitting.

I play a few King's X tunes with my band
Summerland being one of my all time favourites

I use Ch 2, Fat for cleans and Ch 1 on Tweed

however I use Ch3 Vintage for my high gain and Ch 4 Raw for more subdued rock type songs (Summerland being one of them)
but I'm always fidgeting with new setting and trying new things
I really have to start writing things down.

I think I might try the Channel 1 on tweed for dirty clean, and Channel 2 for ultra clean today. That seems to be the consensus. I'll do some tube experimentation once the stock tubes start wearing out. Thanks guys! I'll report back with the results...

matty: King's X is such a cool band! They have a new CD coming out the first of the year. It was supposed to be out in October, but it got pushed back. What other songs do you cover besides Summerland? Do you use Ch3 for most of the KX stuff? I've got Ch3 vintage, but Ch4 is all out recto (modern). IMO, Vintage gets closest to the Mark IV's voicing. I traded my MIV for the Roadster I have now, so I was pleased to be able to get somewhat close to the Mark's voicing with the Roadster on Vintage... All I am saying is that it is CLOSE, it's not exact. :) I don't want to start anything. Haha.

More to come later...

Tried switching the first two channels around on my lunch break. PERFECT! Channel 1 in tweed nails the dirty clean and now Channel 2 on fat is ULTRA clean. Thanks guys!

Storm: the trick is to set the master for CH2 to max and adjust the gain until it starts to distort under rigorous playing and then back it down a hair. Then adjust the other 3 channels to all be the same volume when you switch through them. All my channel masters are set pretty low now, but the cleans are stunning... The amp's master output can more than compensate for the low channel volumes.

Good luck!

Thanks for that bit of information. I was trying to use channel one as the clean channel as it's just too quiet. I'll try channel two on the weekend, sounds good with what you've suggested.

Ciao ...

i find channel 2 to be a lot warmer and better at clean distortion when on spongy.... on bold its just too brittle and lifeless.... on spongy the channel seems to come to life

Latest posts

Back