The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:14 pm 
Road King

In five years, I have only seen 3-4 on E-Bay. I stumbled on to mine.
I wanted a Chrome and Black and never even asked the serial number, I dropped the $900.00 and waited for it to arrive from a dealer in NY.

Much to my surprise when I looked at the serial number it was below 240.

If I get a chance, I will PM you the PT and OT numbers and you can call Mesa to see when they were last used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:48 pm 
Road King

The OT is 562100 and I think was the same on the MK III 60/100 models.
I could not see the PT number without taking out the chassis, but I think I have it written down somewhere. Hang tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:53 pm 
Mark III

dylan7620 wrote:
wow, thanks for all the info.... so what ur sayin in layman terms is im probably never going to be able to get my hands on one of those first 500 huh? :roll:

You're not missing as much as you think you are. I've got a buddy who has one of the black and chrome ones (can't remember the number, but it is in the 100s), and it doesn't sound that much different than my '97 Tremoverb. A lot of it is just the mystique surrounding them, but unless you've got ears and taste like Eric Johnson, you'll never hear it.

"We're witnessing the famine of the innocent.
Did they die for religion or the government?
Because if your god won't do,
Their god will starve you." --Nevermore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:15 pm 
Road King

noodles wrote:
dylan7620 wrote:
wow, thanks for all the info.... so what ur sayin in layman terms is im probably never going to be able to get my hands on one of those first 500 huh? :roll:

You're not missing as much as you think you are. I've got a buddy who has one of the black and chrome ones (can't remember the number, but it is in the 100s), and it doesn't sound that much different than my '97 Tremoverb. A lot of it is just the mystique surrounding them, but unless you've got ears and taste like Eric Johnson, you'll never hear it.

That says nothing about the amp. It could have had 2 circuit revisions by the 100's, and it says nothing about how they were dialed in. Having owned a boat load of Dual Rectifiers and now the Road King, I can without a doubt notice how much more agressive and clear my early DR is. You do not even need to be related to Eric Johnson to notice it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:29 pm 
Mark III

Oh, there is no doubt my buddy knows how to dial in an amp, and he says he's been through every rectifier Mesa has ever made, except for the RK and triple. He's had at least twenty different ones over the years, and this is what he has settled on.

Yes, it sounds better, but I don't think it's the loads better that people make it out to be. The way people talk that amp up, you'd think it was the same difference as stepping up from a Peavey Triple XXX to a DualRec. It's a much more subtle difference IMHO, and I've personally heard about three blackfaces in my time. All sounded great, but we're honestly geeking here, the guitarist equivelent of wine tasters discussing different vintages of a fine wine. :wink:

"We're witnessing the famine of the innocent.
Did they die for religion or the government?
Because if your god won't do,
Their god will starve you." --Nevermore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:38 pm 
Mark II

I actually own a Dual Rec. Black/Chrome Serial # 0003x. I can attest to the fact that it does have a bit more of a "sweet spot" than any other Recto I have played thru. I originally bought an all chrome head from Manny's in NY sometime in '92. That head's serial # was somewhere in the 180's. After only a few weeks time the head started giving me problems and I brought it to my tech for repair. Problem was is that the amp was so new there was no techs that had the schematics for it. Long story short,I had gotten in touch with the Boogie rep in Rockaway NY and they authorized a swap out cause I wasnt waiting to have this amp fixed.
Drove up there and had my pick of 7 Dual Rectos all with #'s under 375.
5 hrs. later and this is the one I still have today.On another trip there I actually picked up, which was at the time, one of the prototype diamond plate cabs.I got the top and bottom cab but I cant remember which one was the proto. My amp tech did fix the head the day before I went to go and pickup the swap but I told him I didnt have any faith in it.Till this day that head is still running fine... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 pm 
Mark III

noodles wrote:
All sounded great, but we're honestly geeking here, the guitarist equivelent of wine tasters discussing different vintages of a fine wine. :wink:

ha ha... thats the point! how much higher of a price do these usually go for over a later two channel model? i'd rather spend $1600 on a used first 500 than on a new 3 channel DR.

Mark IV Short Head
Marshall 1960A 4x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:01 pm 
Road King

There are the have's and the have not's. We prefer the term " Cork Sniffing" as well.

It is all relative to supply and demand. The have nots just hate it. The have's can give an honest assesment over years of practical use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:31 am 
Donating Member

Boogiebabies wrote:
There are the have's and the have not's. We prefer the term " Cork Sniffing" as well.

It is all relative to supply and demand. The have nots just hate it. The have's can give an honest assesment over years of practical use.

I thought you were a pretty good source of info, but my opinion of you just dropped ten fold....

|| J-Bass | Strategy Eight:88 | PH410 ||
|| Les Paul-McCarty-Telecaster | Dual Rectifier | Recto 4x12 ||

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:04 am 
Road King

screamingdaisy wrote:
Boogiebabies wrote:

I thought you were a pretty good source of info, but my opinion of you just dropped ten fold....

Good. The less time I have to spend here. Although, it was a joke, you can take it the way you want. I still have a 90% approval rating from you. :wink:

Last edited by Boogiebabies on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:50 am 
Donating Member

Boogiebabies wrote:

Good. The less time I have to spend here. Although, it was a joke, you can take it the way you want. I still have a 90% approval rating from you. :wink:

If it was a joke I'll leave it at that and chalk up my reaction to me being sick and tired with a killer headache. :)

Quote:
If you are French Canadian, I will take it as a complement as my wife is
French Canadian and I am use to it.

Je suis un pamplemousse.

That's all the french I know. My friends and I use that line on French strippers to get them laughing as they try to correct our pronunciation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:07 am 
Road King

It's all good. I hope you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:39 am 
Donating Member

Working on it....hopefully better by tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:27 am 
Mark III

Boogiebabies wrote:
As of 4/92 there were 3 revisions to the circuit. They are RF-1A,1B and 1C. By 5/93 Mesa was up to revision RF-1F. In typical Mesa fashion, they prototyped the product on the consumer. The first 500 had used different OT's and PT's. For someone to say there is no difference, I disagree unless you own one of those 500.

Yes, I've owned quite a few of the VERY early ones along with a pile of other Rectos. There are differences between all of the different versions, but all of those amps are still Mesa Dual Rectifiers and to my ears the differences between them aren't huge enough to the point to where I would compare those different versions like I would two completely different amplifiers from two different manufacturers.

I know how to dial in those amps, my ears are perfectly fine and I'm not insane.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:09 am 
Road King

Dale B. wrote:
Boogiebabies wrote:
As of 4/92 there were 3 revisions to the circuit. They are RF-1A,1B and 1C. By 5/93 Mesa was up to revision RF-1F. In typical Mesa fashion, they prototyped the product on the consumer. The first 500 had used different OT's and PT's. For someone to say there is no difference, I disagree unless you own one of those 500.

Yes, I've owned quite a few of the VERY early ones along with a pile of other Rectos. There are differences between all of the different versions, but all of those amps are still Mesa Dual Rectifiers and to my ears the differences between them aren't huge enough to the point to where I would compare those different versions like I would two completely different amplifiers from two different manufacturers.

I know how to dial in those amps, my ears are perfectly fine and I'm not insane.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Dale

It is like trying to compare the Bogner Ecstacy 101B to the Ecstacy Classic. The gain structure and compression are totally different, yet the circuit is 98% the same. I have spoken to Mike B. and George Mueller at lenght about this. The first DR's had less gain and less compression. They have a much more agressive attack and clarity. Whe you run the gain at 2:30 to 3:00 it has he sweetest compression. In actuality, this may have more to do with the circuit design that the transformers. Or is it the transformers? Who knows. Then again, the componentry issue is valid, but I have never been able to duplicate this amp with 10 two channels, 1 Triple channel or the RK 4. The RK 4 can get close. With all ego aside, it may be te exeption to the norm.