What do you guys think about the 2&3 channels Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overture2005

Reaction score
A 2 channels Dual Recto half stack /w purple skin dropped the local instrumental store-Long & Mcquade today. I just compared it with the 3 channels Dual Recto for 30 minutes(maybe not enough). To compared with the 2 channels Dual Recto, the 3 channels sounded kinda cold and modern(a little NU). The 2 channels Dual Recto sounded warmer and more dynamical. Finally, I donot think the 3 channels Dual Recto sounds really like crap like somebody said.
They just sounded a little different, almost the same tight low end.

I've come to the same or very similar conclusion.
I prefer the 2 channel versions. With that said, the three channel rectos still Tear it up extremely well.

I heard someone say its possiblly that the tone controls dont correspond identically to eachother, in other words, my settings on my 2 channel wont achieve the same tone as if I were to use them on a 3 channel. I dont know if this is true. All I know is that I tried the 3 channel and it felt a bit on the COLD side of the recto tone imo, relative to my 2 channel dual Rackmount and Triple recto head. I have suspected the difference in tone may be the result of Boogie shipping the heads with lower quality tubes than I am used to. Its possible, I dont really know to be honest.

overture2005 said:
screamingdaisy:

They are all the boogie tubes, 12AX7, 6L6, 5U4, but the rectifier tubes are not the short version.

Thanks.

I've heard the same thing about the 2-channel being warmer than the 3, but I've also heard that the 3 is the result of modifications to the voice to cut better in a band (which is why it's harsher).

I've found that replacing the stock Sovtec tubes with Svetlana's (STR-454) helped improve the tone of my amp quite a bit without changing the charicter of the amp all that much.

I only brought the tubes up because I have noticed a few times though that someone says their older (insert name here) amp sounds superior to the newer stuff comming out, but when you look under the hood you find quality power tubes and some NOS preamp tubes......

I've owned both versions of the Recto (a 2001 Triple, and a 1996 Dual), and I'll say they both sound good. The 2 channel versions sound less grindy (for lack of a better word) than the 3 ch. I liked my 3 channel, but absolutely love my 2 channel. The modern channel is where the difference is. The 3 channel heads sound more loose, as where the 2 channel has the same charactheristics, but more of a tighter distortion.

Latest posts

Back