Heartbreaker Lust (the channel)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieman75

Reaction score
I have been using my heartbreaker combo for a couple of years now and I was wondering if any other heartbreaker users have achieved a usable "plexi-ish" sound that this amp claims to be able to attain on lust...and what settings are used?

Also keep in mind that I have not tried EL34's in any of my amplifiers.

I have read a couple reviews on this amp that claim you can't tell this and a plexi apart when ab'd?? Has anyone here performed a side by side comparison?

Before you answer and say "you want a marshall?...buy a marshall" I would love to PTT on a real plexi but they are wicked expensive. I have been GASSING for a 1987 plexi clone or a stilleto as well. But before I pull the trigger on one of those, I wanted to see what options, if any are available on the HB.

I used my boss ds1 in a outside gig a few weeks ago on lust and it sounded decent. I was using my hamer most of the night and only picked up my strat for one song. This thing purred with humbuckers.

Is it the c90's that make this thing sound dark with single coils? I have been experimenting with a mix of c90 and vintage 30. I am almost thinking about a nice mid "honky" scumback 25 watter to replace the c90.

any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

highest regards

J

"honk is my best friend..."

I would try some EL34's in it, I know it gives me that bit of marshall "magic" in my boogies. As far as the plexi sounds go on the hearbreaker, I wouldn't doubt one bit you can nail it, but I haven't spent enough time with them to do it myself (been dying to buy one though). Cranking the volume is also key in utilizing the EL34's and getting that marshall sound.

Any specific brand of EL34's? I have heard that the Shuangs -sp or even the reissue mullards are good.

I use JJ E34L's and love them. The JJ's are a little darker than most other tubes I've used, so they help tame the brightness in my guitars, but if you have a dark sounding setup already I wouldn't recommend them.

Rather than chase Marshall Plexi tones with my Heartbreakers ... I use the Love channel for dirt and the Lust channel for clean. I feel that that arrangement best suits the amp. As far as the amp being perceived as dark, this is how I deal with that; I use the Vox Brian May Special amp (which has a boost circuit and output jack for the boost circuit) as a gain/bright boost. It works really great in that role and the Heartbreaker interfaces with it perfectly, everything in the Heartbreaker improves quite noticeably(gain ,tonestack, reverb, boost switches on Heartbreaker), consider this; a good boost pedal cost $$$ ...this little amp $99-$150. I even bought a Tuki cover for mine (it always travels my Heartbreaker(s)(I have a head & combo & a spare Vox) Check it out. The Love channel has more tonal flexibility/better gain structure than the Lust channel and the role reversal works fine(especially w/Vox preamp)

Latest posts

Back