Dual Rectifer 50 watt help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
Hey I run a 3 channel dual rectifier into a trace elliot cabinet, the cabinet is 8 ohms so obviously I use that output on the head. I pulled the two inner power tubes and one rectifier as per mesas instructions in the manual to bring it down to 50 watts, but I was wondering does this do anything to the ohm ratings? Ive been running it thru the cabinet still with the 8 ohm jack and nothing seems wrong, I just want to confirm that this is either correct or a safe mismatch so I dont fry the head or my cab in some way in the long run. The manual mentions nothing of how pulling the power tubes will affect the speaker jacks it just seems logical that the 8 ohm jacks would now be 16 ohms but I am not completely sure and just dont want to screw up my beautiful Mesa

Help PLEASE

oh yeah and I am new to this board... Im glad I found it I have read a bunch of stuff and now look forward to posting too! HI EVERYBODY!

Welcome to the Boogie Board! :)

I just gave a phone call to Mesa/Boogie a couple of weeks ago.
In order to reduce the wattage on your Dual you
will need to pull out the two inside power tubes and any 1 rectifier tube.
This will reduce the wattage to 50w but you will need to plug your 8ohm cab
into the 4ohm jack on the amp.

Yes, the Ohms on your output jacks double...
4 is now 8
8 is now 16
16 is now 32

And it doesn't matter which pair of power tubes you pull, either the inner pair or the outer pair.

ok cool... yeah i mean i had it running off the 8ohm jack... and a tech head type friend of mine said that because of the high output transformer boogie uses (very high quality) that it wouldnt even cause any damage just lower the life of your power tubes.... he said hes seen people pull tubes on peaveys or other similar and cheaper brands and the ohm issue blew the speakers or the amp.... but boogie quality prevented that from happening to me!

but thanks for the help guys

Back