Rectoverb - combo or head/cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rectoverb to buy.

• Combo Rectoverb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Head/Cab Rectoverb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jason5150

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just came across this forum thru the gearpage and have been having a ball reading all about Mesa's. Thru the past few years I've struggled with amps, getting close to the sound I want, but not all the way. I suppose I kept some of the amps I have now because I never really did a side by side comparison to anything else, until now. I put my beloved Yamaha T100-C (soldano designed) up against the ROV and it was no contest to my ears for the sound I have been searching for. Don't get me wrong the Yamadano is great, but it doesn't do all the sounds the ROV does, not to mention the ROV is great at low volume bedroom type stuff. Forget about that with the T100, it needs to be cracked and I'm not always wanting to scare the dog when I practice.

So on with the question. I've done some pretty extensive research on the ROV and it is definitely going to be my next amp. My main concern is to get a combo or a head and cab. Yeah the combo is heavy, but you could say that about a head/cab and there is 2 pieces to carry. I haven't played thru a head/cab yet because none of my local mesa dealers have one. I'm mostly a home studio player, but get together with friends to jam and play the occasional show. So I'm curious at everyones opinions are on this. Oh yeah, if I go the head/cab route the cab will most definitely be a 2X12. No need for a 4X12. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Jason

I just bought a Rectoverb II Combo. At 1st I didn't like it much, but I put a Vintage 30 in it and EL34's, and now I love it. I play this amp more than my Mark IV, Soldano Lucky 13, & Blackface Bassman.

It just breathes so well, and is incredibly responsive to my crappy playing.

I've owned several Dual Rectifiers, but they were always lacking Reverb, and a bit too loud. The Rectoverb is the perfect size for me. The Reverb could definitely be a bit better, but I can fix that.

I absolutely LOVE the Rectoverbs, but I didn't like the combo. It sounded soooooo much better plugged in to my Genz Benz G-flex 2x12. I ended up selling it to get a Tremoverb (which should be here later next week) and I'll probably sell my Tremoverb head and get a Rectoverb head (or I might not). Anyways, I like the sounds of a rectoverb, but not the 1x12 combo setup.... It sounds great at low volume, but with any bass in it at all and turn it up loud enought to be heard over a drummer and poor thing sounds like the speaker is going to jump out of the cab.

Thats just my $.02 worth, I'm kind of freaky about my sound and have had (no joking here) 15 amps in 2 years and I have finally found the sound I like in the Rectifere series, just need to narrow it down to which head or combo I want.

Thanks for the replies and opinions guys. I think I'm going to hunt down a head a cab. It may be a little more trouble to move around, but that's what hand trucks are for. I just found this cool collapsable one at the local hardware store and it's perfect for this kind of stuff.

-Jason

I bought a Mark IV combo a while back.

First time I took it to band practice I wasnt impressed by the one speaker, so I hooked it up to my 2x12 extention cab.

A bit better, but WAY too mid-rangy for my tastes.

When I used my band mates 4x12 as an extention it made all of the difference in the world.

4x12 just sounds better, in my experience.

So much so that its worth the weight.

Try your head both ways if possible. I think you'll find the tone is in the 4x12.

In all honesty, Combos are the more reasonable approach, less to lug around, less costs, etc...

...but us guitarists arent known to be reasonable :D. What is more fun than a half stack? Also getting a half stack will also allow you more flexibility in the future (a few months ago i was in your shoes), i mean you could always switch the cab out later....or get more heads and use the cab u have...i mean it just leaves more variety. Also more speakers=fuller sound, and while a 1x12 combo isnt bad....a cabinet will make the sound fuller and richer. I recommend the head, and if youre checking out cabs go to WWW.AVATARSPEAKERS.COM they are VERY reasonably priced and they allow for alot of customization

Actually I've already got a custom built 2x12 cab that I love the sound of that I could use if I get a head. Although a half stack sound is probably the sound I have in my head. I use to own a Peavey Classic 100 half stack and that was the last rig that I loved to play. Just happened I needed to pay bills at the time so I sold it. The problem I have right now with a half stack is room. I've got a couple roommates and it won't fit in my room. Guess if no one cares it could live in the den with the TV and stereo or I could kick someone out of the house and make a music room :lol:.

-Jason

Ukalali_Solo said:
In all honesty, Combos are the more reasonable approach, less to lug around, less costs, etc...

Thats very true, which is one of a 1000 reasons my F100 combo is getting more play than my Recto, but for some reason the rectoverb combos just never clicked with me. I think I just dont like the speaker / cab size that it came with.

It is kind of weird that they only have 1x12 speaker in them. They are the same size as the Soldano, and some of the Bogner 2x12 combos.

I was going to make mine into a 2x12, but the Baffle Board is glued & possibly dadoed in. I would have to cut it out and make a mess.

I'm still considering this since I have 1 Rectoverb & 2 cabinets.

Maybe it was just a weight issue.

I was going to make mine into a 2x12

Hey, welcome to my club!! I has a series II combo that I've been trying to figure out how to make it a 2x12 for a few months now. Last week I finally figured it out, I traded it for a Tremoverb combo!! :? Yeah, I gave up of trying to mod the stock cabinet... Hell, I even bought a Soldano 2x12 cabinet and tried to put the chassis in that cab, but it just wasn't going to work out. I also found a Peavey Cabinet, and that didn't work either.... I found out that through messing with several different options and cabinets that Boogie cabinets are built Sooooo much better than 99% of other cabs out there. I tried to find an empty Tremoverb combo, but no luck... You might have better luck than me finding one, I bet that would work perfect!

Good luck and let me know how it works out?!?!

TJ

Yeah, I gave up of trying to mod the stock cabinet... Hell, I even bought a Soldano 2x12 cabinet and tried to put the chassis in that cab, but it just wasn't going to work out. I also found a Peavey Cabinet, and that didn't work either.... I found out that through messing with several different options and cabinets that Boogie cabinets are built Sooooo much better than 99% of other cabs out there. I tried to find an empty Tremoverb combo, but no luck...

I have a spare Rectoverb cabinet that I may experiment on, but for now, I am loving the EL34's & Vintage 30 combination.

Do you still have the Soldano cab? What shape is it in? What model was it? Can I PM you with my email address and get some pictures?

I've been looking for a Combo cab for my Lucky 13 head for quite some time. That is actually why I bought the spare Mesa cab. I can make it work with no problem, but I would have to recover it afterward because of the extra holes required to mount the Soldano.

Do you still have the Soldano cab?

Sold it last week.. I put it up here on the classified section for a little bit, but got no hits on it so it went off to ebay. I sold it for $152 shipped. It was a purple Hot Rod/SLO 2x12 cab.

Sorry :(

PS, don't know why you'd want to look, but here's the original classified post incase you want to see the cab. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=9434#9434

:cry: :cry: That sucks, I emailed you a few times asking for dimensions of the opening, but was so busy at work that I forgot to bid.

Oh well, I still have the spare Rectoverb cab. I could probably just cut the old baffle out & make a 2x12 replacement.

1. Get the HEAD. Why, for flexibility (your choice of cab will dramatically affect the tone you get).
2. Get the closed 4x12 Mesa CAB. Why, for fuller sound through all frequencies. This is the way to get the best tone from the head. If you like the tone, why would you choose a cab that conveys a totally different sound?
3. If you just can't manage a 4x12, get a closed back 2X12 Mesa, which will sound almost as good as a 4x12.
4. DO NOT get an open back cab, you will lose much of your precious tone out the back.
5. Swap out the 6L6s to EL34s for a tone that is a wicked combination of classic British and modern Mesa.

:D :D :D

Jason5150 said:
Hey All,

I just came across this forum thru the gearpage and have been having a ball reading all about Mesa's. Thru the past few years I've struggled with amps, getting close to the sound I want, but not all the way. I suppose I kept some of the amps I have now because I never really did a side by side comparison to anything else, until now. I put my beloved Yamaha T100-C (soldano designed) up against the ROV and it was no contest to my ears for the sound I have been searching for. Don't get me wrong the Yamadano is great, but it doesn't do all the sounds the ROV does, not to mention the ROV is great at low volume bedroom type stuff. Forget about that with the T100, it needs to be cracked and I'm not always wanting to scare the dog when I practice.

So on with the question. I've done some pretty extensive research on the ROV and it is definitely going to be my next amp. My main concern is to get a combo or a head and cab. Yeah the combo is heavy, but you could say that about a head/cab and there is 2 pieces to carry. I haven't played thru a head/cab yet because none of my local mesa dealers have one. I'm mostly a home studio player, but get together with friends to jam and play the occasional show. So I'm curious at everyones opinions are on this. Oh yeah, if I go the head/cab route the cab will most definitely be a 2X12. No need for a 4X12. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Jason

Thanks Oyster for the coments!! I had already talked myself into trying the el34's in it. I haven't been able to try a head RV yet, but I went and played a dual rec the other day and am very intrigued to say the least. If the RV sounds close with reverb I'll my sight unheard!!! :shock: So now I'm thinking do I try and find a black chrome DR or the RV or both. :twisted: I WISH! Can't afford both, but one can always dream. Refresh me on the early Recto's. I understand it sounds completely different that the later one's. I played the DR with 3 channels, would the DR solo be better sounding or I guess how different than the 3 channel one?!? Ouch my brain hurts. :?

-Jason

I recently traded my single rec for the dual rec Roadster and couldn't be happier.

If you havent made your decision yet check out the Roadster head (or combo).

Awesome all-in-one package with various power options that might suit you (50W/100W selectable PER CHANNEL - thats right you can run one channel at 50W and another at 100W if you want), rectifier options (again, select tube or diode PER CHANNEL) and reverb control (again, reverb level PER CHANNEL not global)...combined with "spongy" or "bold" power selection (basically selects how much voltage is fed into the amp - spongy is about 96V I was told by MB, and bold is the usual 120V) - this reduction in power from spongy setting gives a nice feel and a "brown" sound a/la Van Halen and reduces the operating power of the amp from 50W (if using 50W setting) to about 36W (again told by MB), enabling you to get nice power tube saturation at lower volume levels.

Roadster has a very good clean channel (essentially from the Lonestar), the reverb is amazing and lush, and of course channel 3 and 4 is the trademark dual rectifier tone (in fact, the amp IS a dual rectifier inside).

Head.

I have a combo and MAN is that beaach heavy!!! Get a head. You can run faster in the pouring rain that you will get caught in sooner than later!!! The cover provides some protection though.

Combo is great though, good bass response and more open air sound so the tone blends well aka best of both worlds. Not easy to mic that though, but experience pays off.

Head provides choices that a combo can do, but the head is less weight. This is if you run external cabs. 70 lbs for any amp is not light. Weight may not be an issue, but if you move the amp you will be happier with a head. :evil:

I have a series II combo and a 3/4 cab that I run through. Cab's on casters, but the combo ain't. If I could do it over, 2 3/4 cabs and a rectoverb head is what i would go for!!!

I still think this is pretty when i walk into the room.
2020699HPIM0081.JPG

Yeah nice pic there.

I like combos cause:

- You can remove the rear casters to tilt the speaker back a bit.
- I rarely carry an amp with casters. Just lifting over door stops, tailgates.
- Forces/convinces me I should work out more. :wink:
- 1x12s are more practical for me volume and venue wise.
- If I'm ever playing large venues then I'll put 4x12s on the rider hehe.
- Two 1x12 combos is less gear than two heads and two or more 1x12 cabinets.

I wouldn't get a combo if the back design was too compromising.

Back