TC Electronics G-Major and Dual Rectifier Solo Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck

Reaction score
I did some researching on TC's site and I couldn't find any information on my problem. It seems as though When I have the gate before the G-Major in the effects loop when ever i have an effect on and switch to distortion, the tone of the distortion is greatly effected (for worse yuck). Is this due to the G-Major and because I havnnt tweaked the values? I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the loop or where the G-Major is in the loop. Normally if you have a stompbox for example a Boss Chorus pedal, when you have distortion on from the Mesa head and click on the chorus it doesnt change the overall tone of the distortion. It just adds chorus to it. The only thing I hate about having stompboxes is the inability to easy switch the effects off. I like the TC but it seems as though it affects my tone ALOT. I'm guessing its my fault for not adjusting any levels on the effects.

Ya know, I tried to go the rack mount way with that exact processor in the effects loop of my DR. I really liked the reverbs and delays but lost interest in the whole thing for a couple of reasons. I had no patience in setting all the levels, and I kinda felt it was sounding too processed. Lately I don't use any effects (pedals) at all, I love the feel and tone of having just the guitar and amp! If I were to use my pedals again, I would invest in a Loooper which essentially can take all of your pedals out of the chain when not in use! If you have the patience, get the levels corrected with the TC in the loop. Then add the Gate where it sounds best.

The G-Major has its own noise gate, which you can assign to individual patches when necessary. Have you tried that route? The G-Major does have some documented level issues with certain amps, so it might be wise to not gate the signal before it hits the G-Major. I'm just theorizing here, so grain of salt...

Hey Chuck, what is it that your trying to achieve with a noise gate? FYI, I had good results with Boss's NS-2 noise supressor running into the front of my DR. I'm still having a hard time wondering how any type of gate would work in a parallel effects loop. Remember, a parallel effects loop is simply a branch of the original signal that your blending back into the original signal. So the gate it would seem to me is only effecting a portion of the signal. I think what your trying to do would work better in a series effects loop, keep only time based effects in your parallel loop. But back to my original question, if it's a hissing sound between notes that your trying to reduce, look into the NS-2, it's great for that.

It's not just hissing that I want to get rid of. When I stop playing I dont want to hear anything. A noise gate will also do just that. I just thought that by putting my guitar into the input of the gate, output of gate to input of front of head, that it would merely be gating my non amped guitar signal instead of the distortion coming out then gating that. It's kinda hard to explain or maybe im just making it harder on myself hehe. Thanks for the help jbird.

chuck said:
I just thought that by putting my guitar into the input of the gate, output of gate to input of front of head, that it would merely be gating my non amped guitar signal instead of the distortion coming out then gating that.

Thats what I would think you should be trying, gating the input signal! Have you tried this?

No I havent tried it yet. I will tomorrow when I have more free time to tinker. I will keep you posted jbird. Thanks for the help in the multiple posts.

Latest posts

Back