Dual Rectifier Solo Head > 4 cabinets reviewed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modern Red

Reaction score
Hi guys. I recently took my amp to get a bias check since I was using EL34s. Wanted to see how much they draw next to 6L6s.

Anyways, the store had a bunch of 4x12 cabinets so I thought after the amp got checked out, I'd try the cabs. I used the Red channel only since the purpose was to see which cabinet best brought out the massive metal crunch of the amp. I picked up an Ibanez Prestige and turned up. Here's my verdict.

My amp is a mid 90s 2ch head. The settings are as follows. This is what I use with my crappy 1960A at home. I started each amp with this setting but adjusted depending on what the cab didn't like.

SS + BOLD
Master 10:15
Presence 9:45
Bass 9:00
Mid 1:00
Treble 1:15
Gain 2:30

New (non-JCM 900) Marshall 1960B 4x12 straight. - Much better sounding than what I have at home. Doesn't have the treble spike I get with mine at this volume level. The bass seemed less boomy although I don't use much bass to begin with. Overall I liked it but it was still decidedly similar to what I have.

Mesa Traditional Recto 4x12 slant - This is the older, non oversized cab. This one was used from the late 90s (but still expensive). I liked how the amp's distortion seemed more defined, and the mids seemed to jump out. However, what I didn't like was the dark nature of the cabinet. The amp is already dark as it is, this cabinet seemed to emphasize that even more. Now I remembered why I never bought the Mesa 4x12

Line 6 Vetta 4x12 slant. Very cheap cabinet. Surprisingly good. Better than my Marshall for this amp. It handles the low end of this amp really well. You can tell it was designed for extreme gain. What I didn't particularly like was a harsh high end, especially on the higher strings, but the **** guitar had 9-42s I think (I use 10-50). If I was to buy a new cab, I would give this one another look, simply from a pricepoint.

VHT Fatbottom 4x12 straight. The end! I have yet to find a cab that handles the massive bass response of this amp. Very even response. Nothing jumps out in terms of harshness. Smooth and precise. It totally tightens up the amp and just sounds downright focused and mean. When you palm mute, there's a 3D thump that you sense in other cabs with the Dual, this one accentuates it further. Hands down the best cab I ever used. When I get some money, this cab is mine. It is also by far the most expensive one of the bunch.

Great review thank you I also have a Marshall 1960A and i am hoping to buy a recto soon (like the end of the month)

how do you hook them up ? which do you find is the best way to do so ?

thanks again for the review

Back