Can the F-series do Metal/Metalcore?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regret

Reaction score
I'm not a player that wants/needs a total *** load of gain, just enough to sound aggressive on palm mutes.
I also don't scoop the mids to hell.

With that in mind, can any of you play aggressive riffs that sound metalish with an F-series and be happy?

I use my DC-5 gain at 7, 8 at most. (I like having extra if I need it).

Robert

Regret said:
I'm not a player that wants/needs a total *** load of gain, just enough to sound aggressive on palm mutes.
I also don't scoop the mids to hell.

With that in mind, can any of you play aggressive riffs that sound metalish with an F-series and be happy?

I use my DC-5 gain at 7, 8 at most. (I like having extra if I need it).

Robert

I doubt you'd be happy with an F series for those needs.....s' more of a rock/blues trip. Does'nt have the chunk you're talking about.

Yes, it's very loud...... cuts through just dandy.

Price range is what you said more or less for an f50....at least for the head. Combos probably 100 more......or less.

I doubt you'd be happy with an F series for those needs.....s' more of a rock/blues trip. Does'nt have the chunk you're talking about.

Yes, it's very loud...... cuts through just dandy.

Price range is what you said more or less for an f50....at least for the head. Combos probably 100 more......or less.[/quote]

I don't need modern Recto distortion (would be nice though) and I like having a sound that is different than the other bands in my town. I guess my real question is can it it get as heavy as a DC-5 in Contour mode?

How would they compare?

I had an F50 combo and sold it because I wanted more gain. I saw one in GC last night for $1050. You'll do much better on Ebay. I got mine in new condition for $700 there.

Any way, I sold it and got a Mark IV.

I don't need modern Recto distortion (would be nice though) and I like having a sound that is different than the other bands in my town. I guess my real question is can it it get as heavy as a DC-5 in Contour mode?

How would they compare?[/quote]

To my ears there just really is'nt anything special about the distortion, other than it's pretty standard 6L6 rock & roll gain....a bit marshally maybe, a bit Rivera Fender era. A pretty workman-like amp for standard rock....it can get a pretty fierce with an OD in front of it, but not what I'd call heavy.
I don't have any experience w/ a DC-5.

Is there a way you can go check it out somewheres?

for metal the dc5 wins hands down over an f50 (even in contour mode)
thats why im trying to get a dc5 and my friend is tring to get rid of his f50.

IMHO my F50 can handle most metal sounds especially with an EQ in the loop. However I think it depends on what your definition of metal is? I can get older Metallica, Slayer, Priest, etc sounds with no problems. The F50 has as much if not more gain than the modded amps of those days. Also keep in mind I have the F50 head going through a Marshall 4x12. Pushing a bit more air than a 1x12 combo.

If your definition of metal is the modern sound of today, than no. The modern sound of today is more Mark IV, Dual/Triple Rec, DSL, Cobra, ENGL etc... Tons of gain of tap. The best way to find out though is if you can find one locally and take it for a spin. YMMV

Yeah, I would imagine with 4x12 and an EQ, maybe an OD or clean boost up front, you could get there.

in that respect it can do old school metal :twisted: . it already sounds too bassy to me. and thats the 1x12.i can't imagin 4x12. it has pleanty of gain... but its not high gain per se. not in a searing modern metal/metalcore kindof way. now that i think about it , it kinda reminds me of the new stilletto when i tried it out.

dylan7620 said:
not in a searing modern metal/metalcore kindof way. now that i think about it , it kinda reminds me of the new stilletto when i tried it out.

Yeah, those are definately not the words I would use to describe the F50's gain. If those are the kind of tones a person is looking for I would recommend any of the Rec series. I personally like the Single Rec myself. There are many great modern gain amps out there.

dylan7620 said:
it already sounds too bassy to me. and thats the 1x12.i can't imagin 4x12.

I do not find the F50 bassy at all. I have never heard it in a combo form before though so that may be why. My 4x12 has GT-75's and I never set the bass more than 10 O'clock on the gain channel. On the clean channel if I am using humbuckers I never go above 9:30 on the bass but if I am using single coils on clean I will set them up at high noon.

dylan7620 said:
maybe i should go try out my friends f50 on my marshall :wink:
hes a good friend, always leaving his amp over :p

Cool. :) For some old school metal try contour mode on and setting the gain at about 2 O'clock, Treble at 1 - 2 O'clock, Mids at 8 O'clock, Bass at 9 - 10 O'clock. I have found that the Master Volume sweet spot is between 9:30 and 11 O'clock. Even with the Mids that low it will still cut through. For leads just boost the mids a bit.

Of course with all guitars being different YMMV so tweak away. I do find that with the tone controls of the F50 less is more. I used these settings with a Mahogany guit with a SD JB in the bridge. I have also used an Ibanez S series with EMG's with good results. If this is not enough gain an EQ in the loop will give you a good boost. Have fun.

I am tired of people saying that the F50 can't do metal!

If you use an open back cab, then yeah, it can do rock and blues real well. But, how many metal guitarist use an open back for metal tones!??? Get yourself a good extension cab, and you will get the low mid chunk you are looking for. I use a Mesa Thiele extension cab with custom 90's. It has a ton of chug, and there is a lot of definition, especially with the contour mode on.

The F50 has a shitload of gain/distortion. Once you get past 2 O clock on the gain, your sound turns into distortion mud! Hell, any amp with that much gain turns into mud. At that point, the question is, "do you hide behind gain?" Is your technique and tone so shitty that you have to blast the gain to hide flaws in your playing?

I use 9 o clock on the F50 gain, with the master level at 11:30, and I get an incredible chunk (open & close back cabs). It will give you a great "rock sound." ala priest, vh, crue, etc. Once you get to about 11 or 12 o clock on the gain, you will have a **** load of gain with plenty of defnition. It will get that death metal & nu-metal sound with ease, especially with the close back cab. After that, it turns into distortion mud, just like any high amplifier (recto, mark, uber, diezel, engl).

If you want nu-metal, "recto" sounds, the F50 won't give you those sounds. If you want over the top F50 distortion, no problem! The contour mode has a tone all its own. No mark series, no recto, no stilleto; just F50 tone bliss. I will try and post some metal clips once I convert files to MP3 & figure out how to post them.

I hope this helps

easy there. just because i like high gain sounds doesn't mean i hide behind them. i like less gain too, but in certain situations. my blue angel will show any sort of mistakes i make so i can't hide from anything :lol: but still apreciate other peoples love for high gain disortion. and they arent all nu metal! :roll:

j37nm said:
I am tired of people saying that the F50 can't do metal!

If you use an open back cab, then yeah, it can do rock and blues real well. But, how many metal guitarist use an open back for metal tones!??? Get yourself a good extension cab, and you will get the low mid chunk you are looking for. I use a Mesa Thiele extension cab with custom 90's. It has a ton of chug, and there is a lot of definition, especially with the contour mode on.

The F50 has a sh!t of gain/distortion. Once you get past 2 O clock on the gain, your sound turns into distortion mud! Hell, any amp with that much gain turns into mud. At that point, the question is, "do you hide behind gain?" Is your technique and tone so sh!t that you have to blast the gain to hide flaws in your playing?

I use 9 o clock on the F50 gain, with the master level at 11:30, and I get an incredible chunk (open & close back cabs). It will give you a great "rock sound." ala priest, vh, crue, etc. Once you get to about 11 or 12 o clock on the gain, you will have a sh!t load of gain with plenty of defnition. It will get that death metal & nu-metal sound with ease, especially with the close back cab. After that, it turns into distortion mud, just like any high amplifier (recto, mark, uber, diezel, engl).

If you want nu-metal, "recto" sounds, the F50 won't give you those sounds. If you want over the top F50 distortion, no problem! The contour mode has a tone all its own. No mark series, no recto, no stilleto; just F50 tone bliss. I will try and post some metal clips once I convert files to MP3 & figure out how to post them.

I hope this helps

See this is what I thought and wanted to hear.

I'd like to hear some peoples idea of a metal tone, cause it seems as though many use more gain/bass than I do. Don't know why either.

i mostly like high gain for solo stuff as its more fluid sounding but when it comes to rhythm im still all about a chunk :p

yea. when i crank it til it starts to break up and boost it with a little metal zone action and it sounds amazing.its a slightly odd setup vut it works well.

Latest posts

Back