Road king stuttering?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOOPJUNKIE

Reaction score
So my band is rocking out last night pretty loud but we have played louder and at the end of the set my amp starts to kind of cut in and out, stutter? so we stopped playing and i mess with it and it doesn't do it anymore so i crank it again and it wont stutter again but it tripped me out; also someone who was watching said that while it was doing the "stutter" the he was looking at the amp and saw that the power light was flickering? that's what he said i don't know one way or the other? and the this morning i was playing and everything works but i feel like its mojo is illusive; doesn't quit sound right? but it might just be me and the question of why did it cut out? any thoughts; tips? or moral support would be much appreciated!

:shock: :shock: :evil: :shock: :shock: :?

A few years ago I was playing pretty loud with my Fender Twin and it started stuttering and skiping too... I checked it out on the break and it worked fine, then towards the end of the next set it started doing it again?? What the heck???????? I then laid it down, took out each tube and blew air in the sockets and re-seated the tubes and it never did it again no matter how loud and thumpin' we got.

I guess it was a combination of the vibration of the stage and my amp combined ratteling the tubes so much it was loosing contact some where and cutting out every now and then.

Try pulling out the tubes and re-seating them, maybe even blow some air in the socket when the tube is out.

That's what I'd try first, if that doesn't do it then maybe you have a tube about to go out?

Now to completely confuse you... My Deluxe was doing the exact same thing and I did the re-seating of the tubes and that didn't fix it so I finally gave up and took it to a tube amp repair man and found out my speaker wire had a loose wire in it that had connection 99% of the time, but would loose connection every once and a while and cut out. He re soldered my speaker wire and I haven't had a problem since (2 years). When I started thinking back, I remember one of my foot pedals getting hung on the speaker wire and I pulled on it a little harder than I should have and thats probably when it happened.

There ya go, a couple of possibilities.

yes it is under warranty; it only did it one time i haven't got it to do it again but it was embarrassing as all get out!

tele_jas said:
A few years ago I was playing pretty loud with my Fender Twin and it started stuttering and skiping too... I checked it out on the break and it worked fine, then towards the end of the next set it started doing it again?? What the heck???????? I then laid it down, took out each tube and blew air in the sockets and re-seated the tubes and it never did it again no matter how loud and thumpin' we got.

I guess it was a combination of the vibration of the stage and my amp combined ratteling the tubes so much it was loosing contact some where and cutting out every now and then.

Try pulling out the tubes and re-seating them, maybe even blow some air in the socket when the tube is out.

That's what I'd try first, if that doesn't do it then maybe you have a tube about to go out?

Now to completely confuse you... My Deluxe was doing the exact same thing and I did the re-seating of the tubes and that didn't fix it so I finally gave up and took it to a tube amp repair man and found out my speaker wire had a loose wire in it that had connection 99% of the time, but would loose connection every once and a while and cut out. He re soldered my speaker wire and I haven't had a problem since (2 years). When I started thinking back, I remember one of my foot pedals getting hung on the speaker wire and I pulled on it a little harder than I should have and thats probably when it happened.

There ya go, a couple of possibilities.

The tube thing is possible, I will give it a go!

I don't think the speaker wire is the reason on account i use 2 cabs so there are two separate sets of wire, speakers, etc. and they both cut out at the same time! I hope this was a one time thing!

The power light is usually wired to the input power supply, so a power tube issue wouldn't make it flash (I don't think). You might have an intermittent on the power switch or the standby switch. If you switch had been inadvertently touched an moved so that it wasn't making complete contact, that could have been the case.

You might want to get one of those power testers (just a plug in to the AC socket) from radio shack and plug it into whatever circuit you are pluggin your amp into. It'll test polarity and level. I say that 'cause it may have been the extension cord of something along that line.

I wouldn't get too concerned, but try it at your next rehearsal and see if it does the same after a long set when everything is warm.

ok it did it again tonight! :evil:

It did it more and i unpluged my guitar out of the front and it still was doing it? i was on chanel 4 and no fx loops on! the light was not flickering and i had it on my furman (PFP)this time( didnt want to chance it)

It was stutering then stayed in the off side of the stuter for a min. sounded like the cooling fans had somthing jammed in them but as i got closser it almost sounded like it was coming from the transformer? I have no idea about this stuff!

then just like last time as soon as i shut it off and turned it back on it started acting normall again?

To weird I had alrady pulled the tubes and blew out the sockets and reset the tubes from the last time it did it.

WHY............................Oh WHY>........................

OK i am making the pilgrimage tomorrow! will be going to MESA! toured the factory before but i hope this will be as pleasurable an experience! :cry: :lol:

OK so i went and picked it up and had a chance to put it through the paces; and it seems to be fixed! Mesa said that it just needed the updates, so if you guys are running RK's call and make shure you have all the updates so you dont wind up with a BAd stutter!

BlazingMagnum said:
What kind of updates?
What do they update in the RK's?

SORRY to reply so late but it got an
"revised trans update";"+/- 3v diode update"
I don't know what the heck these are but that's what my receipt said! so there you go!

Hi, this has happened to me twice. Both times was using the 8 Ohm ouput. Never using the 4 Ohm ouput.
You could try it and see... :roll:

Back