Road King Tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inearthed

Reaction score
So I did an amp trade and landed a Road King, it arrived with a shattered 6L6 (power plug nailed it during shipping). From left to right, it was the 3rd 6L6 out of the 4. I went to go snag a replacement duet for retubing, but they didn't have the exact Mesa Tubes STR 430's that are already loaded in there, they did have the STR440's. Do I need to get two STR440 duets or what?

Just a bit curious, sorry if this is a dumb question.

You need a matching pair, so you need to buy a pair to replace the one tube that was broken, and replace the corresponding "partner" tube or whatever you want to call it. I don't think you have to replace all of them, just as long as each tube matches the other tube in its pair.

I believe that is the case...I've mixed 6L6's with KT66's in mine. As long as they are duets it should be good to go.

In the "6L6" section of my amp here is what I have...

0 0 X 0

The "X" is the broken 6L6, so to replace the broken tube, I would have to replace the one in the spot just to its left (or the bolded 0). Is this correct?

I believe you are correct, but someone else chime in here just to be safe. Or check the manual.

yeah the inner pair and the outer pair should match pretty close.
however the two pairs dont need to match exactly, for instance
you could have a pair of str440's and a pair of str430's in the
same amp.
call bob at eurotubes and see if he would reccomend an integraded quad
for your road king, such as a pair of e34l's, a pair of 6l6gc's and a pair
of kt88's.
that would sound MASSIVE.

Actually you dont need to have them matched at all, you will just get akward tube wear, beyond that it probably wont sound good.

If you are on a budget, just pull the other tube out and run it at 50w for a while.

vulture2600 said:
call bob at eurotubes and see if he would reccomend an integraded quad
for your road king, such as a pair of e34l's, a pair of 6l6gc's and a pair
of kt88's.
that would sound MASSIVE.

Definitely call bob. If that could be done on the RK, that would be pretty impressive indeed.

And that would be an integrated sectet btw :eek:

NO. REPEAT! NO!

That is NOT CORRECT.

In Road Kings, adjacent pairs are matched, not inside/outside like traditional tube amps.If your 6L6's look like this 0 0 X 0 then you should replace them like so 0 0 0 0.

I had a Road King until recently and called Mesa to make doubly sure that this is right.

According to my amp tech (and an authorized Mesa repair tech), Adam is correct.

I run 2 EL 34's, then there are 2 KT66's, and then 2 6L6's.

Back