Rectifier Lineage...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Ok guys, I hope this hasn't been posted already, so forgive me if it is...I was hoping that our experts and anyone else who has the info on here, could help me out...I'm looking for as much information on the Rectifier lineage as I can possibly get...Information on the time lines, serial numbers, revisions and upgrades, why revisions, which serial numbers were revised and what was revised...What is it I should look for to indicate these...I know this is a lot of info, but I read on here all the time and see people mention this and that revision and I would love to know the all this...I was hoping to here it from you guys...Plus, I think it would make for a good thread on here as our archive. :)

let's see...I'll do what I can. boogiebabies and a few others will probably throw in some stuff, especially since I learned everything I know on this forum from them!

Started in 1992. Revisions A and B seem to be prototypes only. Then came revision C and then later revision D around the late 200 serial numbers. These first 500 rectos are the creme of the crop due to these rare circuit board revisions and transformers that were never reproduced. I tested both Rev C and D back to back several times and found the only difference to be that Rev C is brighter, making it more of a "solo" amp. Rev D is a little darker, making it better for rhythm. However, the differences are minimal enough that you can just turn the Presence pot to make them sound the same. The next few years saw revision F. Around 94 or 95, I estimate, revision G, the final revision, was made. The very early rectos had serial loops, small logos, and an attached power cable (which reduces hum). Later on, around 94-95-96, the logos got big, they had parallel loops, and a detached power cable. The tone on the 2channel rectos is a thing of bliss and glory. It is the quintessential recto sound as you would hear it in your head, but even better once you crank it. It is extremely aggressive, but yet incredibly smooth. Under high gain, chords retain incredible clarity in their note's definition. The amps can be very tight when you want them to be (but they are no mark4). The vintage mode is even smoother, reminiscent of the old mark amps lead tones. As each revision progressed, the clean tones got better. Early rectos have horrendous clean tones. It is also worth noting these amps sound great at lower volumes and even better when cranked.

Around 2000-2001, Mesa created the 3channel rectifier--the current offering. As with most things in the music industry, they don't make 'em like they used to. Don't get me wrong--this amp still kicks the a$$ out of most amps out there!! The 3channel amp introduced a new channel and a new mode--Raw. These amps have a much better clean and some great high gain tones. However, they lost a bit of that "mojo." They are not as clear, not as smooth, and not as tight. They sound a little stiff and sterile when trying to play leads and solos. The rhythm stuff is there, but like I said, it lacks the mojo. There's a lot of "beehive fizz" and annoying high frequencies that are difficult to dial out, if not impossible in my experience. I always found myself tweaking knobs. With my 2 channels, they sound perfect flat. Any knob tweaking afterwards is icing on the cake. These amps feature parallel loops and detached cables. To get a good clear sound out of these, you have to really crank them loud.

Then, came the Road King. Version 1 was great, but version 2 is where it's really at! This, IMO, is the amp to get. The cleans are Fender style, you get to pick el34 or 6l6 tubes for each channel; you get two serial loops; and 4 channels. People so far say that the red modern channel is more like the older rectos than the newer stuff. I've only played a version 1 road king so I have no idea...

Along the way of the recto lineage you also had tremoverbs and rectoverbs. I don't know much about the latter, but tremoverbs are ridiculously good amps! They share the same characteristics as the old 2channel rectifiers (indeed because they are a 2channel recto).

You also have single, dual, and triple rectos. Single=50w. Dual=100. Triple=150. I personally think the Dual is the best compromise because you get the features that the Single does not have, and you can drop it down to 50watts to get less headroom. The Triple has great features and lots of headroom, but you can't drop the wattage down because you effectively cut the amps power down by 1/3---there's no 1/3ohm jack in any amp or cab as far as I'm concerned.

Wow...what a long post!! I'm bored man...it's Spring Break. Does that answer most of it??? Anyone else have stuff to add? I hope Mesa doesn't see this post!

As you can see, I am a little biased towards the 2channel rectos. But look at my sig...I own all of 'em. I think I have the right to make a fair comparison...And yes, the tests were all done with flat settings, same tubes, and same guitar, in same room within minutes of each other. :D :D

Wow, thanx a ton there Elpelotero...That covers a lot of ground!...Some of which I already know, but thats what I wanted for this thread...There are some things you didn't mention though that I am still curious about...What were the revisions and why?...Would there be a difference from #500 to #501?...And this "magical" transformer, when did it get replaced?...Was it on #501?...I wonder why it was replaced if it was so good...What would I look for to indicate the date of the amp and which revision was made on it?...Sorry for so many questions, but this stuff is really cool...I wonder if we can get this thread "stickied"?

Daxman73 said:
Wow, thanx a ton there Elpelotero...That covers a lot of ground!...Some of which I already know, but thats what I wanted for this thread...There are some things you didn't mention though that I am still curious about...What were the revisions and why?...Would there be a difference from #500 to #501?...And this "magical" transformer, when did it get replaced?...Was it on #501?...I wonder why it was replaced if it was so good...What would I look for to indicate the date of the amp and which revision was made on it?...Sorry for so many questions, but this stuff is really cool...I winder if we can get this thread "stickied"?

the revisions were C,D,E,F,G.

The why's--because Mesa is a company always expanding and innovating. THey are never satisfied. Just look at how many versions of the Mark amps there were until they finally settled on the MarkIV-B. The Road King has gone through like 2 or 3 revisions in only a few years. They're always seeking the next best improvement.

The difference between 500 and 501 is the revision and the transformer. I have seen transformers on amps very close to 500 and the numbers are close, but they don't match. I encourage you to find number 501 and tell us if it's the same!

To know the date of the amp, you have 2 options: call Mesa with the serial number. Or, open the chassis up and look for the handwritten signature and date of the final inspection. To find the revision, you have to look at the actual circuit board where the blue filter caps are (look like blue batteries).

The bottom line is any 2channel recto will sound good! The differences here are very minor and not worth really looking into unless you're a tone purist and have a great ear. It's small things like a little more tightness here, a little more gain here, etc. that make the differences. You can just call us all geeks!

EDIT: A fellow forumite found his number 503 recto to have the same transformers as pre500's. He also has a Rev D, therefore extending "the legend of pre500s" out to #503. Another guy also says his #800 (or so) has pre500 transformers, but the circuit board revision is an F.

Also, some fellow members have recently bought pre500s and have said them to be remarkable improvements over their previously owned 2 channel rectos....Meaning that the differences are a lot more noticeable than would seem to believe...

Thanx a lot man, you've been really helpful...Maybe we can get some other people to chime in on this one?...I have something in the works right now for an older Recto, I'll keep ya posted.

Well, boys my Recto #503 is a RF-1D...The final inspection date is 8/17/92...Chrome on chrome, with no mods of any kind...In fact, I believe the tubes are even possibly original(?)...Its got the old "coke bottle" rectifier tubes (Sovtek), Mesa str420 6L6's (Grey code), and very old 12ax7's, with a wrapped, SPAX7 in stage one...The chassis is dirty, but with no signs of corrosion...The box itself is a little dinged up, with the leather being chewed up a bit in places, but it is actually leather...Of coarse, attached power cord, small logo...I'll be back with the road test a little later in this thread.

Since the Trem O Verb has only been touched on slightly...allow me to ellaborate. (this is gonna be LOONG!)

I own a fixed power cable, Trem O verb combo with the old pointer knobs. The extra mode on the "Lead" channel is called "Blues."

If I had one sound that I had to live with on a desert island it would be that channel...

I recently sold my two channel recto head with the detachable cable and the distortion and cleans truely are different. Dialing both amps exactly the same way with fresh Mesa tubes through the same cab (recto 4X12 trad cab) produced very different sounds.

The recto head was a little gravely and "chunkier" with lots of lows but where the older Trem O Verb kills the solo head is in the midrange. The T.O.V has a beautiful mid "hump." You can hear subtle similarities in the frequencies present to a Mark IV. I have A/B ed it to one and the tones are certainly not the same but the eq boost/cut seems to aim at some of the same frequencies. I also compared it to a Quad and you could hear that they had subtle similarities in the eq. The newer rectos are just as stated, METAL! Cold and almost what Mesa "thought" all the players wanted. Scooped mids, too much lows and nail scraping on a chalk board highs...YUCK!

...aaahh the blues mode. I believe Mesa was trying to attract MK players with this mode. It is loose and creamy and huge sounding...SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much MIDS!!!! The first thing you notice is that the mode leaves no room to play at low volumes at all. Setting the lead channel to orange forces you to turn up the volume as the channel is drasticly quieter then the red or blues. However the blues mode is loud on 1/2 of where 1 would be so you are driving the power tube almost right away. If you play a MKIII, there is a drastic "sag" if you try to do anything percussive. (this can be dialed out) The blues mode on the TOV is almost as if they gave the channel all of the MkIII characteristics but made it not as flubby and tryed to mimic the effect of the 5 band eq but with the knobs instead. Think of playing and amp with 1meg pots. LOTS of effect on the tone. I think a MkIII is also smother sounding at higher levels of gain where as the blues mode breaks up in a pleasantly uglier way. I set the gain at about three o'clock and that is MORE then enough for sustainy solo work. There is still plenty of diction in your notes.

Overall the cleans are why I first purchased the amp from the store. I owned a 5150 and didn't care about the gain somuch as getting a REALLY good clean tone. To me back then as long as the amp had thuddd, I didn't care about the dirty. But the cleans are warmer then the solo head. I have read that there is a capacitor on the pots in the clean channel...I am not sure that this is true, however, if you set the lead channel to orange, the presence knob becomes almost non-functional. You have to use the presence knob on the clean channel to effect the lead. It says to do this in the manual.

One more thing on the cleans...there is a "secret" channel on these older rectos. The 1st channel can be cloned as we all know. You can have orangr/red, orange/orange or red/red. Well most players back then never heard anything like this amp so we all imediatly wanted two red channels with gain and then MORE gain!!!
Here is the secret. You can set channel 1 to clean and have them both be red. This creates the same eq curve as the dirty and majorly increases the highs and lows to produce a very scooped clean sound. If you use a Les Paul or another guitar that has humbuckers, it can get you pretty glassy sounds. It also sounds great with a P-90 as the hotter the single coil the more of those glassy highs you LOOSE. The low end thump on that red clean sound is almost too much....AWSOME...

Well thats my book on the Trem O Verb. I got it new WITH a discount ($1400.00 USD) The store just lost its Mesa Lisence due to lack of sales. It was my first Mesa and I soon got a PRS from the same store. Sounds great on top of the matching recto 2X12. Open back from the combo and closed from the bottom.

Good Luck bro!

he means what numbers are imprinted on the transformers? (the big black metal boxes). if they match what is written on #500, then you've proven that the myth of "the first 500 rectos" is actually the first 503.

Sorry it took me so long...Here are the numbers off the tranny's:

-Big tranny - 561136 (top line), EIA606-209 (bottom line)

-Little tranny - 562100 (top line), EIA606-036 (bottom line)

...Please tell me what these mean...Thanx.

hey fellas, great topic! 8)

but what about some thoughts on Mavericks and Heartbreakers, since it's a Recto lineage thread?? i know the main reason was the heavier guys, but some info on those sweet babies will be also cool! :)

Elpelotero, could you post some pics of your '92 DR. I recently purchased a used DR 3 Channel Recto, it sounds good though I agree with what you are talking about when referencing the tone(just a hint of fizzyness at low volumes) and I seem to be tweaking it sometimes. Was maybe thinking of looking into the earlier Dual Rectos like what you have, any clips/pics would be awesome. Having said that, I still think overall mine sounds great, but curious about the earlier ones. Thx.

pics: http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=pelotero&P=&AID=3615226&Pres=Y

(crappy) clips: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11452

Back